Slovenia Tolar, taking in currency from the UK

Old June 8th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Andy

Default Slovenia Tolar, taking in currency from the UK

Has anyone got any recommendations about taking currency into Slovenia
for a holiday for a fortnight ? (From the UK).

I've had different info from a variety of sources, one travel agent
recommends US dollar travellers cheques, another says Sterling cheques
(and says that there is a limit to take in Tolars to about 10-15 UK
pounds equivalent).

The foreign office gives no indication about limit of local currency,
and the Post Office didn't give any info apart from "we can get it in
a couple of days".

I'd prefer to take some local cash and use cards if possible, so any
recent experience would be very useful.

Thanks.

--
Andy
----

Old June 8th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Ken

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:43:38 +0000 (UTC), Andy wrote:

Has anyone got any recommendations about taking currency into Slovenia
for a holiday for a fortnight ? (From the UK).

I've had different info from a variety of sources, one travel agent
recommends US dollar travellers cheques, another says Sterling cheques
(and says that there is a limit to take in Tolars to about 10-15 UK
pounds equivalent).

The foreign office gives no indication about limit of local currency,
and the Post Office didn't give any info apart from "we can get it in
a couple of days".

I'd prefer to take some local cash and use cards if possible, so any
recent experience would be very useful.

Well, when I turned up at Ljubljana I had no Tolars at all. There's an
ATM at the airport but it's not too easy to find, somewhere near
departures. As I think there's only the one then you may prefer to buy
a few before you set off. I'm sure that the UK airport bureau would
have them.

Once there you will have no problem finding ATMs or using credit
cards. Most things are dual priced - tolars and euro. They'll take
either.

As to limits, as an EU country I doubt that there are any that would
affect even a wealthy tourist.
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Andy

Ken , on Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:25:07 +0100, said

[...]

Ahhh, I forgot to add that bit about Euros - perhaps taking Euros
wouold be a good idea ?

--
Andy
----

Old June 8th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Donald Newcomb

"Andy" wrote in message
Ahhh, I forgot to add that bit about Euros - perhaps taking Euros
wouold be a good idea ?

This may be obvious, but avoid taking any of the many UK currencies, other
than Bank of England.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old June 9th, 2005, 06:44 AM
tile

I have been to Slovenia recently and can confirm that

you can use a credit card to pay almost everything
you can use sometimes eur and will be given change in eur
there is no problem in drawing cash from ATM machines that are almost
everywhere
again.
you can pay toll roads gasoline with credit cards
and then draw yr cash.
do not forget that tolar has almost no value outside slovenia

Old June 9th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Gorazd Bozic

Andy wrote:
Has anyone got any recommendations about taking currency into Slovenia
for a holiday for a fortnight ? (From the UK).

I've had different info from a variety of sources, one travel agent
recommends US dollar travellers cheques, another says Sterling cheques
(and says that there is a limit to take in Tolars to about 10-15 UK
pounds equivalent).

Bad advice from both IMO, and I've never heard of a limit on how much
Tolars you can bring in, especially not one so ridicilously low. A
friend of mine from England exchanged UKP to SIT at home and (surprise,
surprise) discovered upon arriving that exchange rates were much better
in Slovenia. That was a couple years ago, so you'll need to check - here
you'll get approx. 360 SIT for a pound.

You can find ATMs (called Bankomat) everywhere and this will be the most
convenient way. As other posters already mentioned, Euros are also
accepted in many places.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay,
Gorazd
Old June 9th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Andy

Gorazd Bozic , on Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:06:59 +0200, said

Andy wrote:
Has anyone got any recommendations about taking currency into Slovenia
for a holiday for a fortnight ? (From the UK).

I've had different info from a variety of sources, one travel agent
recommends US dollar travellers cheques, another says Sterling cheques
(and says that there is a limit to take in Tolars to about 10-15 UK
pounds equivalent).

Bad advice from both IMO, and I've never heard of a limit on how much
Tolars you can bring in, especially not one so ridicilously low. A
friend of mine from England exchanged UKP to SIT at home and (surprise,
surprise) discovered upon arriving that exchange rates were much better
in Slovenia.

That was a couple years ago, so you'll need to check - here
you'll get approx. 360 SIT for a pound.

What sort of commission charge would that incur ?

You can find ATMs (called Bankomat) everywhere and this will be the most
convenient way. As other posters already mentioned, Euros are also
accepted in many places.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay,

Thanks - I'm off to Lake Bohinj )

Gorazd

Thanks for the info everyone.

--
Andy
----

Old June 10th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Ken

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:59:43 +0000 (UTC), Andy wrote:

Hope you'll enjoy your stay,

Thanks - I'm off to Lake Bohinj )

Very nice too! Don't forget to have a go on the cable car.
Old June 10th, 2005, 07:52 PM
tim \(moved to sweden\)

"Ken" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 16:59:43 +0000 (UTC), Andy wrote:

Hope you'll enjoy your stay,

Thanks - I'm off to Lake Bohinj )

Very nice too! Don't forget to have a go on the cable car.

Oh, do they let you drive it?

tim