First time to Jamaica

Old December 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM
jtc

Default First time to Jamaica

Booked at Coco La Palm resort in Negril, late February.
This is not an all inclusive resort any first hand knowledge of this resort
on this forum
What are some of the better restaurants in that area..........
I have heard that Dunns Falls is in some bad shape is that true? Is this a
"must see" for Jamaica?
What else would be considered a "must see" and we will not have a car but
will travel by taxi.
TIA

--
jtc

Old December 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM

I was in Negril in Aug. Do not know your property. Hope you researched
it well as some I saw were pretty tacky. There are some decent eats in
Negril so no worries in fact the non AI plan is a great way to dine
around.

Dunn Falls is far from Negril. Try smaller Mayfield Falls closer and
wonderful. Wear booties..the rocks were rough but fun..
Ann
www.bonairecaribbean.com

Old December 14th, 2004, 07:13 PM
jtc

Coco La Palm is in the middle of 7 mile beach...it's owned by a Minnesota
corp. and came highly recommended but not by anyone who has actually stayed
there.
Tell me more about Mayfield Falls...........access from Negril by tour or
taxi?
thanks

--
jtc
oups.com...

Old December 14th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Rhythmwize

In article . net, jtc says...

Coco La Palm is in the middle of 7 mile beach...it's owned by a Minnesota
corp. and came highly recommended but not by anyone who has actually stayed
there.
Tell me more about Mayfield Falls...........access from Negril by tour or
taxi?

Coco La Palm is an excellent place to stay...I stay at the Kuyaba
when in Negril but Coco La Palm wuld be my second choice.

You can go to Mayfied falls by taxi or tour bus. We took a taxi, takes
about hour as I remember over some pretty rough roads, there were three
of us and we took a taxi and paid like $25 or $30 each. The driver waits
while you take the river tour, about 1 1/2 hours...very rural setting, you
can eat lunch there and there is also a bar. The trip was well worth it.

There are lots of good places to eat in Negril. Kuyaba is one of the best and
somewhat upscale, dinners about $15 each. Breakfast is excellent there.
Alfreds on the beach is good for a cheaper dinner...the fish dinner there is
great.

Xtabi and the Rockhouse on the westend cliffs are good places to eat as well.

Cosmos on the beach is good for seafood. There is no shortage of good places to
eat in Negril...ask around.

john

Old December 14th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Jimmy

jtc wrote:
Booked at Coco La Palm resort in Negril, late February.
This is not an all inclusive resort any first hand knowledge of this
resort on this forum
What are some of the better restaurants in that area..........
I have heard that Dunns Falls is in some bad shape is that true? Is
this a "must see" for Jamaica?
What else would be considered a "must see" and we will not have a car
but will travel by taxi.
TIA

You might like YS falls even more. I have been many times along with
Mayfield and Dunns River. The biggest attraction about Dunns River is the
ability to walk/climb these falls along with others. You may have seen this
in advertisements. I think YS is far more attractive than the others. I can
supply photos and video if you like of much of the Negril area.

The best thing to do it to latch on to a taxi drive that could be your
guide for the best advice and opinions especially of the fine eateries. My
advice to anyone reluctant about any place to stay is to call ahead to make
reservations. Send a deposit of a few days rent and look it over yourself.
If you don't like what you see have your drive help you find a better place.
I had been doing this for decades until I finally settled down to stay at
some of the places I know are nice. If a travel agent can not supply you
with the advice you need or can not find out for you then why use one. Sorry
to the agents that post here but I never use one and feel much more in
control. Email some places with questions. Mentioning you were refereed by a
'friend' has gotten me more than one discount.

Good luck.

Jim

Old December 14th, 2004, 10:35 PM
jtc