Shopping for Japanese stuff in Japan, but where?

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Hallvard Tangeraas

Default Shopping for Japanese stuff in Japan, but where?

I'm in Japan right now and have just extended my stay to be here
another 3 weeks,so 6 weeks in total before I leave!

I'd like to bring home some memories of this country, but I'm not sure
where to get hold of it:

- A "Yukata" for me and my girlfriend. How much do they usually cost,
and where are they sold?

- A "Go" game. As far as I know, this is more or less the same game as
"Othello", but with fancier "stones" etc. I saw someone play it on TV
here, and a game set like that would be a nice souvenir. Are they
expensive? Where can I buy them?

-A "tea set" for enjoying Japanese tea: a teapot, cups etc. Where to
buy and how much would it cost?

Anything else worth buying while here which I can't get elsewhere?

Hallvard
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:16 PM
Spehro Pefhany

On 28 Apr 2004 07:00:17 -0700, the renowned
(Hallvard Tangeraas) wrote:

I'm in Japan right now and have just extended my stay to be here
another 3 weeks,so 6 weeks in total before I leave!

I'd like to bring home some memories of this country, but I'm not sure
where to get hold of it:

- A "Yukata" for me and my girlfriend. How much do they usually cost,
and where are they sold?

- A "Go" game. As far as I know, this is more or less the same game as
"Othello", but with fancier "stones" etc. I saw someone play it on TV
here, and a game set like that would be a nice souvenir. Are they
expensive? Where can I buy them?

-A "tea set" for enjoying Japanese tea: a teapot, cups etc. Where to
buy and how much would it cost?

Anything else worth buying while here which I can't get elsewhere?

You could consider a used or new kimono, which can be used as a
decoration, framed, or put on the wall etc. Used may net you a
bargain, as the Japanese don't like to buy used things.

http://www.marquise.de/en/ethno/japan/buy.shtml

I can't get out of the Tokyu Hands store in Shibuya without buying an
armload of gadgets.

Besides all the international luxury goods that all the huge
department stores (Mitsukoshi, Matsuzakaya etc.) have there are also
interesting goods lurking off the main floor (and good restaurant
floors). You could pick up a Japanese flag (I'm not sure, but try
stationery stores).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old April 28th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Dave Fossett

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

I'd like to bring home some memories of this country, but I'm not sure
where to get hold of it:

Most of these things should be available at a regular department store.
Yukatas are for summer wear, so it might be a bit early yet.
If you are in Tokyo, try the Laox Duty Free store in Akihabara. One floor
near the top has loads of gaudy souvenirs that are designed to appeal to
foreigners: silk "kimonos", ninja swords, kamikaze headbands, kanji
T-shirts, you name it. ;-)

--
Dave Fossett
Saitama, Japan

Old April 28th, 2004, 08:17 PM
John W.

(Hallvard Tangeraas) wrote in message . com...
I'm in Japan right now and have just extended my stay to be here
another 3 weeks,so 6 weeks in total before I leave!

I'd like to bring home some memories of this country, but I'm not sure
where to get hold of it:

- A "Yukata" for me and my girlfriend. How much do they usually cost,
and where are they sold?

Lots of stores will sell these. If you're still in Kobe, go to
Motomachi station, exit and turn right (towards Kobe station). There's
a shopping arcade of sorts under the tracks that extends most of the
way to Kobe station. There used to be a good selection of things here,
including stores that sold new and used Kimonos, new knick knacks
(sp), trinkets, antiques, used electronics, etc. I think you'll find a
good many things to buy there.

- A "Go" game. As far as I know, this is more or less the same game as
"Othello", but with fancier "stones" etc. I saw someone play it on TV
here, and a game set like that would be a nice souvenir. Are they
expensive? Where can I buy them?

You can buy in a major store. Tokyu Hands (a chain store, fairly
large) should have a Go set.

-A "tea set" for enjoying Japanese tea: a teapot, cups etc. Where to
buy and how much would it cost?

Tokyu Hands might have this as well. Again, if you're still in Kobe,
from Motomachi station walk south (towards the ocean) and enter the
large shopping arcade that parallels China Town. After you enter the
arcade there used to be a store on the right that sells ceramics and
stuff. If you feel up for the walk, start out from Sannomiya station's
shopping arcade (extends, more or less, to Motomachi and beyond);
there's a main arcade and a smaller one just to the south; lots of
shops here and many will have what you need.

Anything else worth buying while here which I can't get elsewhere?

Personally I think a neat souvenier would be something from the dairy
farm on Mt. Rokko; not sure what they have, though; despite living
close to it I never went.

John W.
Old April 29th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Prophet of the Way

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

- A "Go" game. As far as I know, this is more or less the same game as
"Othello", but with fancier "stones" etc. I saw someone play it on TV
here, and a game set like that would be a nice souvenir. Are they
expensive? Where can I buy them?

An authentic set, like the one you saw on TV, would be quite expensive. The
board is a solid block of wood. How are you going to carry it back home?

If you are going to buy a tall board make sure you buy the right stones. Black
shells are made of clay slate, white stones are made of clam shells. Ask for
"nachi-guro and hamaguri".

-A "tea set" for enjoying Japanese tea: a teapot, cups etc. Where to
buy and how much would it cost?

Some regions that produce fine pottery:

Arita, Imari, Hagi, Kurashiki (Bizen), Kyoto (Kiyomizu), Mashiko.

Anything else worth buying while here which I can't get elsewhere?