Cinque Terre

Old October 15th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
HH

Default Cinque Terre

I'm pondering spending a few days in the Cinque Terre as part of a trip to
northern Italy and England in late spring 2007. Is the Cinque Terre in, say,
late May a good time to be there? I'm thinking of weather and numbers of
visitors. I would appreciate as well your recommendation for accommodation.
We'll be walking some, and drinking wine and looking at sunsets.

Harlan

Old October 16th, 2006, 12:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Kateri

HH wrote:
I'm pondering spending a few days in the Cinque Terre as part of a trip to
northern Italy and England in late spring 2007. Is the Cinque Terre in, say,
late May a good time to be there? I'm thinking of weather and numbers of
visitors. I would appreciate as well your recommendation for accommodation.
We'll be walking some, and drinking wine and looking at sunsets.

Harlan

We were there this year in May. We liked Monterosa. There were
many visitors and rates were high. Most were from Germany in their
hiking gear , plus many Americans walking around with Rick
Steve's tour book. I can't remember the name of our hotel but
a restaurant named "Mickey's" was great. robbielynn

Old October 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Mon, 15 Oct 2006, Kateri wrote:

We were there this year in May. We liked Monterosa.

You mean "Monterosso" (lit. "red mount", rosa would mean pink :-)
although the rosa in the real Monte Rosa, the 4000 m mountain in the
Alps, has a different meaning).

In my view Monterosso, which is the first coming from Genova and the
largest of the Cinque Terre, is also the less interesting or at least
the one more alike to a "normal" place. The other four are more secluded
and pictoresque (Vernazza, Corniglia, Manarola and Riomaggiore). I also
won't skip a visit to Portovenere near La Spezia.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

"HH" wrote in message
I'm pondering spending a few days in the Cinque Terre as part of a trip to
northern Italy and England in late spring 2007. Is the Cinque Terre in,
say, late May a good time to be there? I'm thinking of weather and numbers
of visitors. I would appreciate as well your recommendation for
accommodation. We'll be walking some, and drinking wine and looking at
sunsets.

How many days will you be spending in the Cinque Terre? If more than just
one or two, you might consider staying in Santa Margherita Ligure. It's near
Portofino and a short trip by train to the Cinque Terre. There is a trail
over the Portofino peninsula to San Fruttuoso (a cute tiny town accessible
by foot and water only) and Camogli, also a cute town. With more time you
could also visit Genoa.

Marianne

Old October 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 10:05:46 -0700, "Mimi" wrote:

"HH" wrote in message
I'm pondering spending a few days in the Cinque Terre as part of a trip to
northern Italy and England in late spring 2007. Is the Cinque Terre in,
say, late May a good time to be there? I'm thinking of weather and numbers
of visitors. I would appreciate as well your recommendation for
accommodation. We'll be walking some, and drinking wine and looking at
sunsets.

How many days will you be spending in the Cinque Terre? If more than just
one or two, you might consider staying in Santa Margherita Ligure. It's near
Portofino and a short trip by train to the Cinque Terre. There is a trail
over the Portofino peninsula to San Fruttuoso (a cute tiny town accessible
by foot and water only) and Camogli, also a cute town. With more time you
could also visit Genoa.

It's funny hearing people talk about places that are really close to
us! For me Portofino is a short afternoon trip, whilst for others it's
considered the journey of a lifetime.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old October 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 14:44:14 -0700, "HH" wrote:

I'm pondering spending a few days in the Cinque Terre as part of a trip to
northern Italy and England in late spring 2007. Is the Cinque Terre in, say,
late May a good time to be there? I'm thinking of weather and numbers of
visitors. I would appreciate as well your recommendation for accommodation.
We'll be walking some, and drinking wine and looking at sunsets.

Late spring is as good a time as any.

Cinque Terre is made for all those things, although you must also
realise that it's heavily touristed. To give you an idea, they have
just put a McDs at the train station in La Spezia, which is the main
hub to go there. I was just there a few hours ago, and there were many
tourists on the train platform.

This area of Italy has good wine, and gorgeous sunsets. It also has
excellent walking, as it's on the coast, and very mountainous. Prices
are highish, but not extreme.
--
---
Old October 17th, 2006, 05:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Ian Burton

"Mimi" wrote in message
. ..

"HH" wrote in message
I'm pondering spending a few days in the Cinque Terre as part of a trip
to northern Italy and England in late spring 2007. Is the Cinque Terre
in, say, late May a good time to be there? I'm thinking of weather and
numbers of visitors. I would appreciate as well your recommendation for
accommodation. We'll be walking some, and drinking wine and looking at
sunsets.

How many days will you be spending in the Cinque Terre? If more than just
one or two, you might consider staying in Santa Margherita Ligure. It's
near Portofino and a short trip by train to the Cinque Terre. There is a
trail over the Portofino peninsula to San Fruttuoso (a cute tiny town
accessible by foot and water only) and Camogli, also a cute town. With
more time you could also visit Genoa.

It's all a matter of taste, of course, but I would happily trade a week in
the Cinque Terre for the second Sunday in May in Camogli. That second
Sunday is the date of the once-a-year Sagra del Pesce in Camogli, a
free-to-all feast of freshly cooked fish prepared in huge pans about 12 feet
across. Not to be missed!
--
Ian Burton
(Please reply to the Newsgroup)

Old October 17th, 2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Frightens Me

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:32:45 -0700, "Ian Burton"
wrote:

"Mimi" wrote in message

"HH" wrote in message
[...]

Might I add that it's worth being missed, due to the huge amounts of
people, and long queues for a couple of bits of fish! Sure, the size
of the fying pan is impressive, but seriously...

Camogli at any other time is an absolute treat, and I prefer it to
Portofino. I go there around once a week, and can recommend some good
places to go.

If you are there around that time though, consider the sagra at Salto
(only reachable by car), which is by far the best one I have found.
Simply a bunch of old women cooking some really, really good food. The
asado is amazing.
--
---
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith M[_1_]

"Dave Frightens Me" wrote in
message ...
It's funny hearing people talk about places that are really close to
us! For me Portofino is a short afternoon trip, whilst for others it's
considered the journey of a lifetime.

Hahaha. Indeed. But alas, everyone is a "local" somewhere.

Everyone's view of a particular place is relative and unique to their
experience in life.

Memories of a particular place aren't just of the place, but who you were
there with, why you were there (vacation? honeymoon? business?), the time of
year, weather, perhaps your age, and so on.

I remember a posting a few years back where someone from America described a
very quaint little town in Ireland where everyone was friendly, the food was
good, and architecture gorgeous. A local that lived nearby said, "That hole
in the wall town? Where there is only one pub? (and the bartenders that work
there are idiots) There's nothing to do there. I'd suggest xxx instead."

It's funny to see two completely opposite views of exactly the same place.
Who is right? Certainly the person that lives closeby, and has known the
place for 25 years? Or is he? Certainly facts are facts: more hotels in
this city. more restaurants in that city. better tourist facilities here or
there, and so on. But what about the more subjective things? Like beauty?

Keith
Pittsburgh

Old October 17th, 2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
HH

"Ian Burton" wrote in message

"Mimi" wrote in message
. ..

"HH" wrote in message
[...]

(from original poster) Wow! I hate to miss that, but we won't arrive until
around May 29-30. We'll be in the Cinque Terre and Lucca about a week. HH