Rushed into the security gate

Old December 19th, 2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Default Rushed into the security gate

Mark Tangard wrote:

Mr. Travel wrote:

Mark Tangard wrote:

Why do you need to take off your belt?

Uhh, belts without a metal buckle are pretty uncommon on my planet,
not sure about yours. In fact belts are probably the most common item
of clothing I see being removed in the security line.

Most belts do not set off the metal detector at US security.

Please. You've worn "most belts"?

I've seen it happen at least 10 times, in the U.S., including pre-9/11.

10 times in over 6 years?
WOW.
Old December 19th, 2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Makhno

Uhh, belts without a metal buckle are pretty uncommon on my planet,
not sure about yours. In fact belts are probably the most common item
of clothing I see being removed in the security line.

Most belts do not set off the metal detector at US security.

Agreed. My belt, with its metal buckle has been through the metal
detector around 20 times this year without a single beep.

I suspect if they see it, the staff will make me take it off.
Fortunately, I wear baggy T-shirts...
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 20:17:12 +0000, Makhno wrote:

Uhh, belts without a metal buckle are pretty uncommon on my planet,
not sure about yours. In fact belts are probably the most common item
of clothing I see being removed in the security line.

Most belts do not set off the metal detector at US security.

Agreed. My belt, with its metal buckle has been through the metal
detector around 20 times this year without a single beep.

Same here.

I suspect if they see it, the staff will make me take it off.
Fortunately, I wear baggy T-shirts...

The staff have spotted it on a couple of occasions
and asked me to remove it and put it in the box.
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Makhno

I suspect if they see it, the staff will make me take it off.
Fortunately, I wear baggy T-shirts...

Why?

To hide my rolls of fat.
Old January 1st, 2008, 12:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Mark Tangard

Well, I'm astounded at your experience & that of others here. I go through the
detectors in only a few airports -- White Plains, Palm Springs, and San
Francisco -- but at all 3, I've had things way less exciting than belt buckles
set off the alarm. Do those 3 have a rep I don't know about?

Most memorable, some months ago, was the alarm sounding because of an very
lightweight foil-like wrapper on a medicated pad in my shirt pocket. I didn't
believe it either, but with all my other metal off, the (fairly civil) TSA guy
looked at what I was pulling out of my pockets & said "that's it"; I put it in
his tray & went through again with no beep.

And I'm sure I don't wear a sign on me saying "turn it way up."

MT

Old January 1st, 2008, 05:43 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

On Jan 1, 9:02*am, "TMOliver" wrote:
"Mark Tangard" wrote .....

(Gawdawful top-posting reversed for readership....)

Makhno wrote:
Uhh, belts without a metal buckle are pretty uncommon on my planet, not
sure about yours. In fact belts are probably the most common item of
clothing I see being removed in the security line.

Most belts do not set off the metal detector at US *security.

Agreed. My belt, with its metal buckle has been through the metal
detector around 20 times this year without a single beep.

I suspect if they see it, the staff will make me take it off.
Fortunately, I wear baggy T-shirts...

The airports I transit don't seem to care whether or not you wear a belt,
and in my case, years ago, one did "bounce" the detector. *I found a couple
of web belts with aluminum buckles for travel, comfortable and no need to
remove.

Well, I'm astounded at your experience & that of others here. *I go
through the detectors in only a few airports -- White Plains, Palm
Springs, and San Francisco -- but at all 3, I've had things way less
exciting than belt buckles set off the alarm. *Do those 3 have a rep I
don't know about?

Most memorable, some months ago, was the alarm sounding because of an very
lightweight foil-like wrapper on a medicated pad in my shirt pocket. *I
didn't believe it either, but with all my other metal off, the (fairly
civil) TSA guy looked at what I was pulling out of my pockets & said
"that's it"; I put it in his tray & went through again with no beep.

And I'm sure I don't wear a sign on me saying "turn it way up."

Years ago, whilst I was a heavy smoker, I recall the foil in a cigarette
pack more than once causung the detector to react, which leads me to believe
that detection involved less the weight or size of an object, but as with
radar, the amount and orientation of the reflective surface exposed to the
detector.

TMO

I have some good 'western' style belts with silver plates that would
set off a detector a mile away, but my common everyday belts have
never been taken off. Last week if forgot to remove my watch and Blue
Tooth earpiece in Columbus and nothing happened. Depends on the
machine at each airport.