Bastille Day in Paris - affect hotel availability - and air conditioning question

Old February 18th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Traveler

Default Bastille Day in Paris - affect hotel availability - and air conditioning question

I will be in Paris July 11-18. However, I know Bastille Day falls in the
middle of that. Does that affect hotel availability?

I was thinking of delaying my final hotel decision so I could determine
whether air conditioning would be needed. I have currently booked a budget
hotel without air conditioning that I can cancel if need be.

How likely is it that air conditioning will be reasonably necessary for
someone unused to really hot weather? (I don't have air conditioning on the
west coast, but this is a very temperate climate!)
How likely is it that I would have a lot of trouble finding a
reasonably-priced place if I wait until just before I leave and I can see
the weather forecast?

Traveler

Old February 18th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Mxsmanic

Traveler writes:

I will be in Paris July 11-18. However, I know Bastille Day falls in the
middle of that. Does that affect hotel availability?

very little. Almost nobody travels to Paris just for Bastille Day.

July and August are high season for tourists, and are also the months
when the residents leave town on vacation. The town is quieter than
normal and a larger percentage of the people there are tourists. The
weather may become _extremely_ hot (115° F last year on some days).

I was thinking of delaying my final hotel decision so I could determine
whether air conditioning would be needed.

Air conditioning will be needed in July. It's the hottest month of the
year, and it gets hotter each year.

I have currently booked a budget hotel without air conditioning
that I can cancel if need be.

If you can tolerate 100° F with no air movement and high humidity in a
hotel room, you don't need A/C. If you can't, you should change to a
hotel that has air conditioning.

How likely is it that air conditioning will be reasonably necessary for
someone unused to really hot weather?

Highly likely.

How likely is it that I would have a lot of trouble finding a
reasonably-priced place if I wait until just before I leave and I can see
the weather forecast?

The weather forecast won't help you, as temperatures cannot be predicted
far enough in advance to allow you to select a hotel. It's safest to
simply assume that it will be very hot.

Old February 18th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Michael Dew

"Mxsmanic" a écrit dans le message de
Traveler writes:

I will be in Paris July 11-18. However, I know Bastille Day falls in the
middle of that. Does that affect hotel availability?

very little. Almost nobody travels to Paris just for Bastille Day.

July and August are high season for tourists, and are also the months
when the residents leave town on vacation. The town is quieter than
normal and a larger percentage of the people there are tourists. The
weather may become _extremely_ hot (115° F last year on some days).

I have lived in Paris for 13 years, the 10 day spell in August last year was
exceptional
The temperature rarely passes 90°F
Hotel accomodation is easy to find all year round, wait until the last
minute you won't have any problems

Old February 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM
James Silverton

"Michael Dew" wrote in message

"Mxsmanic" a icrit dans le message de
Traveler writes:

I will be in Paris July 11-18. However, I know Bastille Day

falls in the
middle of that. Does that affect hotel availability?

very little. Almost nobody travels to Paris just for Bastille

Day.

July and August are high season for tourists, and are also the

months
when the residents leave town on vacation. The town is quieter

than
normal and a larger percentage of the people there are tourists.

The
weather may become _extremely_ hot (1150 F last year on some

days).

I have lived in Paris for 13 years, the 10 day spell in August last

year was
exceptional
The temperature rarely passes 900F
Hotel accomodation is easy to find all year round, wait until the

last
minute you won't have any problems

Wow! 900F, as posted, has been proven to be hotter than hell!
See: http://www.cybercelebrations.com/Val...avens_hot.html

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:38 PM
David Horne

Michael Dew wrote:

I have lived in Paris for 13 years, the 10 day spell in August last year was
exceptional

It must have been over pretty quickly too. We were there towards the end
of August, and it was pleasant. Warm- not hot. I think the advice that
you _must_ have A/C in your Paris hotel room is a bit over the top.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Mxsmanic

Michael Dew writes:

I have lived in Paris for 13 years, the 10 day spell in August last year was
exceptional

Temperatures climb each year, and days beyond 90° F are distressingly
common these days in summer.

The temperature rarely passes 90°F

With humidity of 80% and no wind at all, 90° F is more than enough to
put you into a hospital.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Mxsmanic

David Horne writes:

It must have been over pretty quickly too. We were there towards the end
of August, and it was pleasant. Warm- not hot.

The heat wave lasted about two weeks.

I think the advice that you _must_ have A/C in your Paris
hotel room is a bit over the top.

You weren't here during a heat wave.

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:15 PM
David Horne

Mxsmanic wrote:

David Horne writes:

It must have been over pretty quickly too. We were there towards the end
of August, and it was pleasant. Warm- not hot.

The heat wave lasted about two weeks.

The way you went on about it at the time, I could have sworn it lasted a
year.

I think the advice that you _must_ have A/C in your Paris
hotel room is a bit over the top.

You weren't here during a heat wave.

Most people in Paris don't have A/C, and they survived- the large
numbers of heat-related deaths in France notwithstanding. I would have
been OK- I assure you.

David

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Traveler Google

It sounds like A/C is an excellent idea then.

If a particular Ibis hotel is advertised as air-conditioned, can I
rely on that actually being the case? I'm a little concerned that air
conditioning in France does not mean the same thing as here.

Traveler