Anyone tried this?

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Default Anyone tried this?

Miss L. Toe wrote:

"Mark Hewitt" wrote in message

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
news
Here is another tip, you can take your own packed lunch too.

Dont worry your not the first.

But did you also know most airlines only allow one piece of hand lugagge

ie

your laptop and nothing else in eco class also a weigh restriction. lets
assume a laptop weighs 5 kilos.

Well BA and UA certainly don't have that restriction.

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...n/public/en_gb

BA (in economy) allow one piece of baggage 6Kg and NO separate laptop.

I guess that it's back to my travel jacket. I think that the laptop
will fit in the inside coat pocket. FFM

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:11 PM
~~ Ray ~~

....and a good film.

"robert stephens" wrote in message
. com...

PTRAVEL wrote:
In my unending search for ways to keep myself amused on long-haul
transoceanic flights, I'm going to try bring movies with me to play on my
computer, a Sony Vaio notebook.

I've done this several times without a back-up battery or adapter toplug
in on the airline. Without changing any settings, I can just get through
one two-hour film.

Make sure to bring a GOOD set of headphones.

-Robert

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM
~~ Ray ~~

hang on on most airlines dont they have a portable DVD player and give you
what ever films you want to watch anyway in business class? i know the
older one still use screens on back of seat type but even these if you ask
nicely they would play your DVD for you. They have racks of machine in the
second door gallery.

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
om...

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
. com...
In my unending search for ways to keep myself amused on long-haul
transoceanic flights, I'm going to try bring movies with me to play on

my
computer, a Sony Vaio notebook.

Just make sure the person in front doesn't recline their seat and break

your
laptop.

My laptop is a very small Vaio (10" screen). I've yet to be on an aircraft
where a seat recliner could cause it any damage and, in any rate, my plan is
to avoid coach for long-hauls.

Oh and don't click your keys too loudly if I am next to you trying to

sleep
:-)

I rarely work on the laptop in the air, so there'll be no clicking, only
mousing around to start the movie. Also, I was the first person at my law
school to use a laptop (this was a long time ago). I became the master of
silent typing.

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
mrtravelkay

~~ Ray ~~ wrote:

hang on on most airlines dont they have a portable DVD player and give you
what ever films you want to watch anyway in business class?

"what ever films" would be limited to what they have onboard.
This is why Al Gore invented NetFlix and its competitors.

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:19 PM
mrtravelkay

PTRAVEL wrote:

In my unending search for ways to keep myself amused on long-haul
transoceanic flights, I'm going to try bring movies with me to play on

my

computer, a Sony Vaio notebook.

I've done this several times without a back-up battery or adapter toplug
in on the airline. Without changing any settings, I can just get through
one two-hour film.

I tested my laptop last night. It gave a low-battery warning about 1:45
into the movie. However, this was a DVD-9 commercial disk (double-layer
DVD), rather than the DVD-5 (single-layer) which I plan to use, so there was
significantly more drive access.

You might also disable some applications and use other power saving
features like shutting down the hard drive. My laptop has a movie mode,
but also lets you tune the settings.

I've been looking at these accessory batteries that look like mouse pads --
flat, rectangular and roughly the size of the laptop. They look far more
convenient than carrying a couple of extra batteries.

Expensive, but VERY useful.

Old April 21st, 2004, 05:35 PM
r5

"PTRAVEL" wrote:
seat in business or business/first (CO is my primary carrier, UA my
secondary).

Using miles for standard BF awards on CO is next to impossible
because availability is nil. And if you want to use miles for
a BF upgrade, be prepared to play the HoKeY lottery!
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:43 PM
PTRAVEL

"r5" wrote in message
"PTRAVEL" wrote:
seat in business or business/first (CO is my primary carrier, UA my
secondary).

Using miles for standard BF awards on CO is next to impossible
because availability is nil. And if you want to use miles for
a BF upgrade, be prepared to play the HoKeY lottery!

I'm not sure what HoKeY lottery is, but I've had very good luck using miles
to upgrade on CO, as well as their codeshare partner NW. I have, on
occassion, had to use "anytime miles" or whatever they call it, i.e. double
the award.

Old April 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM
PTRAVEL

"mrtravelkay" wrote in message
om...

PTRAVEL wrote:

In my unending search for ways to keep myself amused on long-haul
transoceanic flights, I'm going to try bring movies with me to play on

my

computer, a Sony Vaio notebook.

I've done this several times without a back-up battery or adapter toplug
in on the airline. Without changing any settings, I can just get through
one two-hour film.

I tested my laptop last night. It gave a low-battery warning about 1:45
into the movie. However, this was a DVD-9 commercial disk (double-layer
DVD), rather than the DVD-5 (single-layer) which I plan to use, so there

was
significantly more drive access.

You might also disable some applications and use other power saving
features like shutting down the hard drive. My laptop has a movie mode,
but also lets you tune the settings.

WinDVD has a special power saving mode, but I noticed it didn't shut down
the hard drive for at least 10 minutes or so. There's a program called
"EndItAll" which I use for video editing that shuts down all unnecessary
programs and services. You've got a good idea about shutting superfluous
things down -- I'll put EndItAll on my laptop and try another test tonight
with a DVD-5.

I've been looking at these accessory batteries that look like mouse

pads --
flat, rectangular and roughly the size of the laptop. They look far

more
convenient than carrying a couple of extra batteries.

Expensive, but VERY useful.

Do you know any good ones? I assume (from their size) that they provide
significantly more power than my laptop's internal battery. As for cost,
generic replacement batteries run about $200 each, with high-power ones
going in the $500 range, so this "mattery" might turn out to be cost
efficient.

Old April 21st, 2004, 06:49 PM
PTRAVEL

"~~ Ray ~~" wrote in message
hang on on most airlines dont they have a portable DVD player and give you
what ever films you want to watch anyway in business class?

CO and NW don't -- they have arm-rest TVs in business/first. I think some
of them can show Hi8 tapes, but the selection is limited to whatever the
airline wants to provide.

i know the
older one still use screens on back of seat type but even these if you ask
nicely they would play your DVD for you. They have racks of machine in

the
second door gallery.

What airlines do this? I haven't taken UA overseas for nearly a decade --
they may have something like this. Still, I'd be much happier watching
movies on my laptop. The picture quality is better and, like at home, I can
pause the film if I want to use the bathroom.

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
om...

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message

. com...