Turnaround times

Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:23 PM
brens

Default Turnaround times

Hello,
I' m a student and i need to know how long does it take any operation
during the turnaround of a low cost carrier, better if compared with a
full service carrier...thanx barco
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:41 PM
Mark Hewitt

"brens" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I' m a student and i need to know how long does it take any operation
during the turnaround of a low cost carrier, better if compared with a
full service carrier...thanx barco

20 to 30 minutes typically. Of course could be longer if they have more time
to play with. But low cost airlines ensure their money by making maximum
possible use of their main assets, i.e. the aircraft.

Full service airlines, it depends on the destination, i.e. is it long or
short haul? I would guess 2-3 hours for transatlantic flights.

These are all best guesses from my experience catching flights and looking
at timetables, no doubt someone with better knowledge can advise you further
:-)

Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:22 PM
Roland Perry

In message , Mark Hewitt
writes
Full service airlines, it depends on the destination, i.e. is it long or
short haul? I would guess 2-3 hours for transatlantic flights.

This is relatively easy for the OP to research. Take most Transatlantic
flights and assume that the same plane flies back and forth every day.
Look at the schedules and see what turnaround that results in.

Example: BA Gatwick to Atlanta: 12:00 16:15
Atlanta to Gatwick: 18:15 07:25

2hrs at Atlanta.

You can do the same thing for most low-cost flights, and Europe, too.

Example: Easyjet Luton to Athens: 13:45 19:30
Athens to Luton: 20:00 21:55

30 minutes in Athens.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:38 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Mark Hewitt" wrote:

"brens" wrote in message
om...
Hello,
I' m a student and i need to know how long does it take any operation
during the turnaround of a low cost carrier, better if compared with a
full service carrier...thanx barco

20 to 30 minutes typically. Of course could be longer if they have more time
to play with. But low cost airlines ensure their money by making maximum
possible use of their main assets, i.e. the aircraft.

Full service airlines, it depends on the destination, i.e. is it long or
short haul? I would guess 2-3 hours for transatlantic flights.

There's a difference between the time required to turn around a small
jet with not much cargo freight and a large jet with a lot of cargo! At
any rate, even a technical (i.e., refuelling) stop for a large jet takes
around 1 hour at the least.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:29 PM
Bruce Davis

At one time, Southwest could turn a plane at Dallas Love Field or Houston
Hobby Airport in ten minutes. Apparently if they could turn a plane in ten
minutes it enabled hourly service with two planes. I haven't looked at the
schedule lately, but ground service is still organized in the same way and
they may still come close.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article 5Vfic.13081$_L6.1018272@attbi_s53,
"Bruce Davis" wrote:

At one time, Southwest could turn a plane at Dallas Love Field or Houston
Hobby Airport in ten minutes. Apparently if they could turn a plane in ten
minutes it enabled hourly service with two planes. I haven't looked at the
schedule lately, but ground service is still organized in the same way and
they may still come close.

10 minutes sounds a bit tight if the a/c is full. That would mean very
little checked bags (possible) and probably not full flights (again,
possible), and almost no time for refuelling. Passenger unloading and
Think about it: assume 2 doors used or about 50-60 passengers out each
door and back in. That's 120 (on a full flight) in 10 minutes. 1 every
5-6 seconds. Sounds very tight.

I have seen a FR 737-200 turnaround at DNR within 15 minutes or so.
Right engine was left running as the a/c didn't need refuelling.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:19 AM
mrtravelkay

"Bruce Davis" wrote:

At one time, Southwest could turn a plane at Dallas Love Field or Houston
Hobby Airport in ten minutes. Apparently if they could turn a plane in ten
minutes it enabled hourly service with two planes. I haven't looked at the
schedule lately, but ground service is still organized in the same way and
they may still come close.

10 minutes sounds a bit tight if the a/c is full. That would mean very
little checked bags (possible) and probably not full flights (again,
possible), and almost no time for refuelling. Passenger unloading and

Do they use 2 doors in Dallas and Houston? Where I fly them (SJC, SNA)
they only seem to use 1.

Old April 24th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Roland Perry

In message , mrtravelkay
writes
Do they use 2 doors in Dallas and Houston? Where I fly them (SJC, SNA)
they only seem to use 1.

I don't recall anyone using more than one door, for any size plane, in
the US. Unless they are using steps to the runway, in which case I've
still never experienced two sets.
--
Roland Perry
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Bruce Davis

They only have the two door set-up on one gate at DAL and one gate at AUS
for a trial of a gate system from a Swedish company (and I'm not sure it is
in use anymore) It sort of branches out about halfway down the jetway and a
second passage makes a hump over the wing and goes to the rear door. I'm not
sure it really helps boarding time that much. Not having assigned seats
helped a lot, they did not carry much if any cargo and they did not need to
load very much fuel for a 40 minute flight.
Old April 24th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

mrtravelkay wrote:

Do they use 2 doors in Dallas and Houston? Where I fly them (SJC, SNA)
they only seem to use 1.

SWA was running trials a few years back at Dallas and Austin with jetways that
split over the wing and covered two doors. Haven't been either place in a while,
so I don't know if those gates are still configured that way.