Using mobiles in an aeroplane... NOT dangerous after all! (apparently)

Old October 19th, 2004, 08:07 PM
Clueless2

wrote in message
Another difference between the US and the UK. In the UK the caller
pays all charges for mobile calls.

Not when the mobile has gone "roaming"!!!

Old October 19th, 2004, 09:56 PM
will kemp

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:42:55 +0000, Andy wrote:

The ground speed is greater, and hence distance moved over the ground is
greater. However, the point to point distance between aircraft and an the
base station on the ground would depend on the altitude of the aircraft over
the base station. Simple trigonometry. You don't have to know trig. Just
draw it on on a bit of paper. Far - Near - Far, and see how the lines
change proportions.

it's the old square of the hypotenuse bizzo, basically, innit?

it's the sum of the squares of the other two sides - and one side ain't
changing. which means the hypotenuse doesn't change as fast as the ground
distance side.

will

Old October 20th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Geoff Lowry

I don't agree with these comments. My mobile phone has trashed a laptop
when an incoming call came in and the phone was lying next to the laptop.
An incredibly loud scream emitted from the speakers, then everything blacked
out. Repair shop said the mother board needed replacement.

You cannot convince me that mobile phones are safe to use inside planes.
Imagine trashing the flight control computer!

My phone is staying off inside the plane!

wrote in message
On 18 Oct 2004 18:36:59 -0700, (Steven Scharf)
wrote:

It's not that it won't work, it will work too well. It's less of
a problem with CDMA, which is designed to be able to use multiple
cells simultaneously, than it is with the older GSM and TDMA
technology.

It is not a problem with GSM, and TACS is closed down.

Basically, you are incorrect.

--

Iain
the out-of-date hairydog guide to mobile phones

Old October 20th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Alan Street

In article , Geoff
Lowry wrote:

€ I don't agree with these comments. My mobile phone has trashed a laptop
€ when an incoming call came in and the phone was lying next to the laptop.
€ An incredibly loud scream emitted from the speakers, then everything blacked
€ out. Repair shop said the mother board needed replacement.

snicker

Dude, you need to adjust the tinfoil.

€ You cannot convince me that mobile phones are safe to use inside planes.
€ Imagine trashing the flight control computer!

€ My phone is staying off inside the plane!

€ ...
€ wrote:

€ It's not that it won't work, it will work too well. It's less of
€ a problem with CDMA, which is designed to be able to use multiple
€ cells simultaneously, than it is with the older GSM and TDMA
€ technology.

€ It is not a problem with GSM, and TACS is closed down.

€ Basically, you are incorrect.

€ --

Old October 20th, 2004, 07:25 AM
anon

Geoff Lowry wrote:
I don't agree with these comments. My mobile phone has trashed a laptop
when an incoming call came in and the phone was lying next to the laptop.
An incredibly loud scream emitted from the speakers, then everything blacked
out. Repair shop said the mother board needed replacement.

You cannot convince me that mobile phones are safe to use inside planes.
Imagine trashing the flight control computer!

My phone is staying off inside the plane!

What about all of the phones that are left on? If they were really
dangerous, why would they be permitted on the plane at all?
There is no real control over whether phone are turned off or not.
Unless the FA sees you talking on it or hears it ring, they would not
know whether it was on or off.

Old October 20th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Andy

"anon" wrote in message
m...
Geoff Lowry wrote:
I don't agree with these comments. My mobile phone has trashed a laptop
when an incoming call came in and the phone was lying next to the laptop.
An incredibly loud scream emitted from the speakers, then everything
blacked
out. Repair shop said the mother board needed replacement.

You cannot convince me that mobile phones are safe to use inside planes.
Imagine trashing the flight control computer!

My phone is staying off inside the plane!

What about all of the phones that are left on? If they were really
dangerous, why would they be permitted on the plane at all?
There is no real control over whether phone are turned off or not.
Unless the FA sees you talking on it or hears it ring, they would not know
whether it was on or off.

....or if the plane got twitchy on final approach ;-) How many bad landings
have you experienced?

--
Andy.