Using mobiles in an aeroplane... NOT dangerous after all! (apparently)

Old October 16th, 2004, 06:02 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I've been reading about this in various places, that they have found
out that private cellular mobile phones do NOT affect flight controls,
that this information is erroneous. Some report has come out.

they didn't claim problems with their flight controls but with the
navigation equipment.

For me even flying in an Archer at 90 knots versus 160 for a transport
jet, I don't to find out the glide slope (altitude) is bouncing while
shooting an ILS to minimums with a raging cross-wind (rarely the case),
and thunderstorms all over the place because Michelle Passenger is
calling her husband to say that she has landed. The second that needle
bounces, the pilots are going missed approach which might amount to
$7000. Is the phone call that important? What about the safety of the
flight? is it that important?

Generally for medical and aviation technology, you have to proove there
is NO effect rather than proove there is an effect. For cell phones,
try to proove all of the 1 billion phones out there dont' have an effect.

Gerald

Old October 16th, 2004, 07:01 AM
Alan Street

In article , JamesUK
wrote:

€ "nobody" wrote in message
€ ...
€ Miguel Cruz wrote:
€ I'm inclined to agree. The recliner only has one victim; the cell phone
€ user
€ has a whole blast radius. I am going to be really really upset the day
€ that
€ they start allowing this.

€ Actually, this may not be as bad. Aircraft noise will probably deaden the
€ noise from someone talking on the phone. (unless he is seated next to
€ you).

€ What will be annoying however is if people start getting incoming calls.

€ Thankfully most of my flights are international,
€ and often over water where there are no cell towers.

€ Since the planes will transmit to a satelline, there is no reason service
€ couldn't continue over oceans.

€ Try and keep up. The issue is cell phones communicating with base stations.
€ Over oceans this is not possible.

He is keeping up. The issue is the use of handphones on airplanes,
regardless of where they're connecting to. American Airlines has
demonstrated that handphones can be safely used onboard aircraft (now,
whether they can be courteously used is another issue entirely).
Old October 16th, 2004, 10:00 AM
tony sayer

In article , nobody
writes
Clueless2 wrote:
isn't the issue. OTOH, GSM was designed to hand handoffs up to about 150kph
and most commercial airliners fly at a much higher speed than this limit.

However, at altitude, your distance to a ground antenna does not change as
fast as the aircraft moves, whereas on the ground it changes as fast as your
car/train travels.

And since mobile phones are used on high speed trains in europe and japan, the
150kph limit is perhaps not the actual limit.

As an argument you can be flying at right angles to a base station where
your relative speed would be much less then if it were fore and aft....
--
Tony Sayer

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:02 AM
tony sayer

In article , michael turner
writes
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:52:41 -0400, nobody wrote:

The plane will relay calls over satellite back to the ground. And tel'll
probably ding you for mobile roaming fees, but that will be charged to your
mobile phone bill.

And the tariff will probably be similar to the existing airline-seat
credit-card reader equipped phones. AFAIK it will just offer the
convenience of using your own GSM handset instead.

Yes, after all the airlines would like their cut of the proceeds, thanks
very much
--
Tony Sayer

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:03 AM
tony sayer

In article , Gerald
Sylvester writes
[...]

You perhaps wouldn't need to if this was approached by engineers and
scientists who understand EMC.....
--
Tony Sayer

Old October 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Phil Thompson

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:15:54 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

From personal experience, all flights I've been on in the last few years
allow phones to be used while the aircraft is on the ground and at the
gate with the doors open.

this is highly airline specific. Lufthansa will not let you use
"handys" in the cabin at all. Northwest will allow you to use them
once the plane touches down and is taxiing, but on departure only
until the door is closed etc etc.

I have seen pilots / co-pilots using their phones while parked up and
train drivers while the train is moving.

Phil
--
spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
Come on down !