How many stairs at Green Park or Hyde Park Corner tube stops London?

Old September 12th, 2003, 01:41 PM
Fred

Default How many stairs at Green Park or Hyde Park Corner tube stops London?

I am flying in to Heathrow airport and am staying near the Green Park
tube and Hyde Park Corner tube. I'm wondering whether it is possible
to manage 2 decent-sized suitcases from the train to the street in
either of those 2 stations. How many flights of stairs would I have to
climb to do this? After all, it is tempting to step onto the Picadilly
Line Underground at Heathrow and arrive relatively promptly at my
destination without changing vehicles (and reasonably cheaply, too).
Old September 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Fred" wrote in message
om...
I am flying in to Heathrow airport and am staying near the Green Park
tube and Hyde Park Corner tube. I'm wondering whether it is possible
to manage 2 decent-sized suitcases from the train to the street in
either of those 2 stations. How many flights of stairs would I have to
climb to do this?

At Green Park IRC there's a short flight from the Station to a tunnel above
with a rise of about 8 feet and one small flight from the booking hall
to the street. From the concourse level to the booking hall ISTR
is via escalator.

After all, it is tempting to step onto the Picadilly
Line Underground at Heathrow and arrive relatively promptly at my
destination without changing vehicles (and reasonably cheaply, too).

If you are reasobaly fit and healthy then go for it, I would and
am fat and over fifty

Keith

Old September 12th, 2003, 07:32 PM
Fred

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"Fred" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the description. I'd give it a try. Is the last flight of
stairs to the street also 8 feet?

Also, what about Hyde Park Corner? Anyone?
Old September 13th, 2003, 02:42 AM
Charles Hawtrey

(Fred) staggered to the nearest keyboard and wrote:

Thanks for the description. I'd give it a try. Is the last flight of
stairs to the street also 8 feet?

Also, what about Hyde Park Corner? Anyone?

London Transport has a "Tube Guru" option on their web site that may
be helpful. Point your browser to
http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/guru/ . On
the map, click the station you're interested in, then when the station
comes up, on the tabs at the right click "Station Info". When this
loads hit the "click for access" entry beside the wheelchair icon.
Here you will find e.g., for Hyde Park Station:

entrance access
14,14 stairs down, subway

booking hall to platform
Escalator (or 3,7 x 17 stairs) down

platform to train step
Piccadilly (B)

There's even a link where you can download full accessibility info for
all stations (in Microsoft Excel format, strangely). Hope this info
is of some use.

Old September 13th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Jonathan Morton

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message

There's even a link where you can download full accessibility info for
all stations (in Microsoft Excel format, strangely).

Very strange. You'd expect Access, surely :-)

Jonathan

Old September 13th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Fred

--

Marvelous! Thanks very much.
Fred
Old September 13th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Charles Hawtrey

"Jonathan Morton" staggered
to the nearest keyboard and wrote:

"Charles Hawtrey" wrote in message

There's even a link where you can download full accessibility info for
all stations (in Microsoft Excel format, strangely).

Very strange. You'd expect Access, surely :-)

LOL! I'll file this in my "Damn! I should have though of that one"
archives.