Croatian Sleepers & prices......

Old September 16th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Ric Euteneuer

Default Croatian Sleepers & prices......

OK - fresh from my return from parts Eastern....

I actually travelled from Sibenik to Zagreb, rather than Split. I had
incorrectly assumed I would only be able to get (and indeed book) the
sleeper from Split. I visited Sibenik Station - quite a hike from the
centre and not the busiest place in the world.....and found the
station was staffed from 6am to 10pm - seemingly by the same woman ! -
despite the lack of punters. She spoke good English, and when asked
whether I could book a sleeper to Zagreb from there, said 'Of
course!'. The journey would involve taking a local train from Sibenik
to Perkovic, and then the sleeper from there to Zagreb. The woman
phoned Split to check availability, and, as the previous poster quite
rightly predicted, and given the fact I was travelling on a Friday,
the normal sleeper had been booked out weeks in advance. I was offered
a place on the relief running about an hour beforehand. The cost from
Sibenik was about 10 pounds for the single ticket to Zagreb and 20
pounds for the sleeper supplement in a double, so 30 pounds in total.

Come the evening in question, I arrived at the station with packs and
supplies, the little 1 car railbus departed bang on time, stopped
anywhere and everywhere (including Mandalina where we were greeted by
the stationmaster and station cat!) and we reached Perkovic a couple
of minutes early. Perkovic is in the middle of nowhere - dominated by
a large hill (mountain ? It was difficult to tell in the pitch
darkness). Most of the passengers on the railbus were also going to
Zagreb, but in the seating coaches. The train trundled in, 1 car on
the car carrier (!), 1 sleeping carriage, and innumerable seating
carriages. The sleeping berths were there, clean, tidy, provided with
plentiful bedding, even a little sink in the corner. The train was 20
minutes late into Zagreb - fine, as the scheduled arrival time was
4.55 ! At least the station cafe was open for a nice strong coffee to
kick start my aching limbs.

Last time, I travelled Split to Zagreb using the Intercity "Marjan"
train, 2nd class, it was UKP15 single, including IC supplement (of
about 3 pounds). Was this first class you travelled ?

60 pounds each for an overnight seems a bit steep for poor ol'me.

OK, here we are - exact prices paid to my agency in the UK, booking
via Rail Europe - SNCF (so may well have been more expensive than
locally purchased tickets):

Zagreb-Split, 2nd Class single - GBP £24.50
Sleeper supplement (in twin-berth) - GBP £31.00

A word of warning that this train is likely to be fairly busy, going
on my past experiences - there is a relief, but it only runs in the
busiest period. You might need to book well in advance to ensure you
get the accomodation you want.

Hope this helps anyway, e-mail address is valid if you need any
further info.

Regards
Ewan
Old September 16th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Ric Euteneuer schrieb:

[...]

Now, it seems to be over for some time:

http://www.hznet.hr/hr/onama/obavijesti/licka.htm

Regards, ULF
Old September 16th, 2003, 09:34 PM
tim

"Ulf Kutzner" wrote in message
Ric Euteneuer schrieb:

[...]

helpful as ever I see Ulf!

Is anyone's Croatian better than mine?

Tim

Regards, ULF

Old September 17th, 2003, 03:00 PM
Anaana

So, i'm from Croatia, that is i speek croatian, and english, so if i can
help.......(i don't have the begining post so don't really know what the
problem is)

Old September 17th, 2003, 05:57 PM
tim

"Anaana" wrote in message ...
So, i'm from Croatia, that is i speek croatian, and english, so if i can
help.......(i don't have the begining post so don't really know what the
problem is)

The page that Ulf posted a link to, is below.

I'm sure that most of us are experienced enough in reading 'rail'
notices to get the general sense that the service is being repleced by a
bus and that there are details of changed times.

It runs: 14. rujna 2003. do 15. prosinca 2003. But which months are
these?

What are the important bits of the changed times, is 'polazak' the new
arrival time or the new departure time?

I'm not personally interested in this information as I shan't be making
this trip this year (unfortunately), but some people may be, so a brief
synopsis might be useful

Many Thanks

Zbog remonta pruge Ogulin - Knin - Split putnici se prevoze autobusima

Hrvatske zeljeznice nastavljaju radove na izvodenju kapitalnog remonta
pruge Ogulin - Knin - Split. Zbog toga ce putnici svih brzih vlakova na
relaciji Zagreb - Split - Zagreb od 14. rujna 2003. do 15. prosinca 2003.
biti prevozeni autobusima izmedu kolodvora Ogulin i kolodvora Split i
obrnuto. Radi se o vlaku Marjan (polazak iz Zagreba u 15.10, polazak
iz Splita u 8.55) koji u svom sastavu u navedenom razdoblju nece imati
vagon-restoran te o nocnom vlaku koji polazi iz Zagreba u 22.45 i iz
Splita u 21.40 sati koji u svom sastavu nece imati vagon s lezajevima niti
vagon za prijevoz pracenih automobila, a autobusi koji voze umjesto toga
vlaka nece se zadrzavati u kolodvorima Plaski i u kolodvoru Vrhovine.
Molimo putnike spomenutih vlakova za razumijevanje i ispricavamo se za
mozebitne teskoce koje ce imati na putovanju zbog toga prekida prometa,
ali remont pruge je prijeko potreban da bismo se sljedece godine vozili brze
i udobnije.

Old September 18th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Carole Allen

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:57:10 +0200, "tim"
wrote:

I'm sure that most of us are experienced enough in reading 'rail'
notices to get the general sense that the service is being repleced by a
bus and that there are details of changed times.

It runs: 14. rujna 2003. do 15. prosinca 2003. But which months are
these?

What are the important bits of the changed times, is 'polazak' the new
arrival time or the new departure time?

I'm not personally interested in this information as I shan't be making

Rujan is Sept.
Prosinac is Dec.
polazak is departure
dolazak is arrival

Old September 18th, 2003, 05:18 PM
tim

wrote:

I'm sure that most of us are experienced enough in reading 'rail'
notices to get the general sense that the service is being repleced by a
bus and that there are details of changed times.

It runs: 14. rujna 2003. do 15. prosinca 2003. But which months are
these?

What are the important bits of the changed times, is 'polazak' the new
arrival time or the new departure time?

I'm not personally interested in this information as I shan't be making

Rujan is Sept.
Prosinac is Dec.
polazak is departure
dolazak is arrival

Ta muchly, hopefully somebody will find it useful.

tim

Old September 18th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Tadej Brezina

Rujan is Sept.
Prosinac is Dec.
polazak is departure
dolazak is arrival

Hrvatske zeljeznice nastavljaju radove na izvodenju kapitalnog remonta
pruge Ogulin - Knin - Split.

And as the text indicates the reason is a "capital" overhaul of the line
Ogulin-Split.
In an quite old article of the HZ passenger Journal I read about, that the
whole line is planned to be electrified.
Does anybody know, if this is going to take place in the comming months?
Although I doubt that the complete electrification of - guessed - 400km kan
be done this fast!

Bye
Tadej
--
Tadej Brezina )
Baden Österreich

Old September 18th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Toma Bacic

"Tadej Brezina" wrote in message
Rujan is Sept.
Prosinac is Dec.
polazak is departure
dolazak is arrival

And as the text indicates the reason is a "capital" overhaul of the line
Ogulin-Split.
In an quite old article of the HZ passenger Journal I read about, that the
whole line is planned to be electrified.
Does anybody know, if this is going to take place in the comming months?
Although I doubt that the complete electrification of - guessed - 400km

kan
be done this fast!

It is "just" the upgrading of the Lika line for tilting trains - cca 14 km
of new line (some bypases, new curves etc), and the upgrading for 160 km/h.
Electrification is planed for 2008.

toma

Old September 19th, 2003, 02:21 AM
Carole Allen

Tim, did you get to Zagreb on your trip? We loved it!