American to add $15 fee for first checked bag; others sure to follow;other fees hiked. Yikes!

Old May 25th, 2008, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tims next home

Default American to add $15 fee for first checked bag; others sure to follow; other fees hiked. Yikes!

"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:09:32 +0100 "tims next home"
wrote:

:"Ablang" wrote in message

:For flights within the United States the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto
:Rico and Canada:

: * $100 per piece for the 3rd, 4th and 5th checked bags
: * $200 per piece for the 6th checked bag and any additional pieces

:-----------------------------------------

:Whatever one thinks about the policy in principle, I can't help but
think
:that a sliding scale like this is unnecessary.

:Why does it cost the airline more to transport six bags belonging to one
:person, than six bags belonging to six people?

Because it appears to be air-freight, which is not at all cheap.

Really!?

I don't know anything about intra US but when I wanted to bring stuff (about
5 extra suitcases in quantity) back from CPH to LON, the cheapest way by far
to do it, was as unaccompanied freight. I only didn't do it this way
because it was impossible for me to drop it off at one end and pick it up at
the other in a timely manner and I couldn't find anyone who would collect it
for me. (I posted it at 60 GBP per15 Kilo box).

tim

Old May 25th, 2008, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 25 May 2008 12:26:56 +0100 "tims next home"
wrote:

:"Binyamin Dissen" wrote in message
. ..
: On Fri, 23 May 2008 21:09:32 +0100 "tims next home"
: wrote:

: ...

: :-----------------------------------------

: :Whatever one thinks about the policy in principle, I can't help but
: think
: :that a sliding scale like this is unnecessary.

: :Why does it cost the airline more to transport six bags belonging to one
: :person, than six bags belonging to six people?

: Because it appears to be air-freight, which is not at all cheap.

:Really!?

:I don't know anything about intra US but when I wanted to bring stuff (about
:5 extra suitcases in quantity) back from CPH to LON, the cheapest way by far
:to do it, was as unaccompanied freight. I only didn't do it this way
:because it was impossible for me to drop it off at one end and pick it up at
:the other in a timely manner and I couldn't find anyone who would collect it
:for me. (I posted it at 60 GBP per15 Kilo box).

Checked luggage is done, in general, as higher priority and they try to get it
on the precise flight and they get a hassle if it misses the flight.

60GBP/15Kg is more than $100/piece(22Kg)

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old May 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tims next home

: wrote:

: :"Ablang" wrote in message
:

[...]

I agree. I was commenting upon the comment that air freight isn't cheap,
and the implication that extra carry on is cheaper.

60GBP/15Kg is more than $100/piece(22Kg)

I wasn't making a journey that charged 100 USD per piece.

tim