Encounters with the TSA

Old November 9th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Roland Perry

Default Encounters with the TSA

In message , Julian Fowler
writes

Sounds like you have a paper problem ...

I do! My job used to create vast amounts of paper. And not in a form
that easily converts to computer :-(

Find an occupation that doesn't require you to wear a daft uniform??

That's a terribly constructive remark. In my case I was hired
*specifically* to be "the man in a suit who goes and talks to other men
in suits" by people who hate wearing suits.

you're going to be far too warm if you try and wear it in the airport
or on the 'plane.

There is life outside airports.

[1] Including for some venues a long ethernet cable and hub. I'll often
also have a digital camera, cable and spare batteries.

... none of which, I think, can be claimed as "essentials".

The hub is, if you want to maintain connectivity. The camera is a slight
luxury, although there are times it comes in handy for work.
--
Roland Perry
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Roland Perry

In message , mrtravel
writes
You shouldn't wait until the checkpoint before taking your laptop out
of the bag.

And are you going to personally underwrite my loss if it accidentally
drops on the floor? People put laptops in bags for a *reason*.
--
Roland Perry
Old November 9th, 2003, 02:44 PM
Roland Perry

In message , mrtravel
writes
I have the laptop bag on my shoulder, my carry on bag on my shoulder or
being pulled (depending) on the bag.

I though you were only allowed one carry-on? You seem to have two. Or
does the laptop count as a "personal item"?
--
Roland Perry
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:10 PM
Julian Fowler

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 14:44:18 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , mrtravel
writes
I have the laptop bag on my shoulder, my carry on bag on my shoulder or
being pulled (depending) on the bag.

I though you were only allowed one carry-on? You seem to have two. Or
does the laptop count as a "personal item"?

In most cases, yes, although I guess that the airlines and security
staff would be justified in enforcing this as being "a bag containing
a laptop computer", rather than "a bag containing a laptop computer, a
camera, a walkman, two paperbacks, a change of clothes, ...". I
switched from using a laptop (only) bag plus a carry-on to a
laptop-ready backpack so that I could carry the computer plus minimal
essentials in one bag rather than two.

Julian

--
Julian Fowler
Old November 9th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Stephen Harman

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message

"James Robinson" wrote in message
PTRAVEL wrote:

Yes, there are really tables like that everywhere
(except, apparently, at one part of AA's terminal at JFK).

No there aren't. My local airport doesn't have them, and there are a
number of security sites at airports with cramped inspection areas that
don't have them.

What airports have you been at that don't have these tables?

SYR

Old November 9th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Stephen Harman

"AJC" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 08:53:52 GMT, mrtravel wrote:

AJC wrote

You are again ignoring the fact that by that stage his carry-on bag,
his coat, a tray with his keys and coins may well have been on their
way through the scanner. Are the security personnel really going to
want someone to move away at that stage?
--==++AJC++==--

Keys and coins could be put elsewhere.. It sounds like he is one of the
many people who don't even try to get the laptop out of the bag until it
is time for them to walk through the metal detector.

That is probably because, as the op already said, he did not expect to
have to take his laptop out of the bag. He said he goes through
security at a major international airport every day and does not have
to remove it from it's bag. It seems the US has particular practices
that differ from standard security practices in other places. That's
fine, but it means that people who are used to going through security
checks at airports in other parts of the world may not be aware of
what is required to prepare for a security check at a US airport.

--==++AJC++==--

No there was no queue when he arrived at security. Hence no time to pre
prepare. The laptop caused a problem, others ariving then resulted in a
queue.

PS try doing US security with a baby and a stroller that only fits through
some x ray machines.

Old November 9th, 2003, 04:34 PM
PTRAVEL

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , mrtravel
writes
I have the laptop bag on my shoulder, my carry on bag on my shoulder or
being pulled (depending) on the bag.

I though you were only allowed one carry-on? You seem to have two. Or
does the laptop count as a "personal item"?

In the U.S., the rule is one carryon, one "personal item." In practice,
this means something that will fit in the overhead bin and something that
will fit in the underseat space in front of you. For most people, this is a
laptop bag. In the U.S. (and, I'd assume, in Europe as well), there is
quite a market for multi-purpose "personal item" type bags. I have a couple
by TUMI that can carry my laptop, support electronics, papers, pens (and an
umbrella, of course), etc. These bags double very nicely as soft-sided
briefcases and go straight from the airport to the hotel to court with no
problem.

--
Roland Perry

Old November 9th, 2003, 04:35 PM
PTRAVEL

PTRAVEL wrote:

Yes, there are really tables like that everywhere
(except, apparently, at one part of AA's terminal at JFK).

No there aren't. My local airport doesn't have them, and there are a
number of security sites at airports with cramped inspection areas

that
don't have them.

What airports have you been at that don't have these tables?

SYR

Since when? I was through there in August, and it had tables just like
(virtually) every other airport in the U.S.

Old November 9th, 2003, 04:36 PM
PTRAVEL

"AJC" wrote in message
[...]

There's an obvious answer, but that's another, and very old, thread.

Old November 9th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
In the U.S., the rule is one carryon, one "personal item." In practice,
this means something that will fit in the overhead bin and something that
will fit in the underseat space in front of you.

Makes sense, although most european airlines have a size rule that means
that strictly speaking any carry-on has to be able to fit under the
typical seat in front (and only allow one, anyway).
--
Roland Perry