Encounters with the TSA

Old November 9th, 2003, 06:15 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Encounters with the TSA

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , PTRAVEL
writes
In the U.S., the rule is one carryon, one "personal item." In practice,
this means something that will fit in the overhead bin and something that
will fit in the underseat space in front of you.

Makes sense, although most european airlines have a size rule that means
that strictly speaking any carry-on has to be able to fit under the
typical seat in front (and only allow one, anyway).

The European airlines I've been on also have fairly strict weight
requirements. Most American carryons would easily exceed the weight limit.

--
Roland Perry

Old November 9th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
The European airlines I've been on also have fairly strict weight
requirements.

Especially the "low cost" carriers.

Most American carryons would easily exceed the weight limit.

Indeed.
--
Roland Perry
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:15 PM
mrtravel

PTRAVEL wrote:

"Hungry Racoon" wrote in message

in time. Your phone charger would arrive usually well before those 3 days.

And if it doesn't?

How long will it take you to replace it?
If you are going to a destination that has cell phone access, finding a
charger can't be the big of a deal.

And
meanwhile you can greatly extend the life of your phone by using that old
fashioned thing called a payphone at airport and using your customer's own
landline phones in their offices.

You can also use plastic trash bags for raincoats.

If you have to, yes... He wasn't suggesting that you would normally do
this if you had the cell phone charger.. If you don't have it, then you
make do with what you have...

And get a more modern phone on a network that doesn't need analogue.

You're confused about cellphone technology. It has nothing to do with the
ntetwork to which you subscribe. A tri-mode phone will roam in both digital
and analogue systems (and there are still many areas of the country, notably
more rural areas, that are analogue-only). Verizon still has analogue as a
fall-back system in many areas, which is why, when airport cell sites are
overloaded, I'll get a channel through, and you won't. Of course Verizon is
also the company that provides the best coverage nationwide.

If I can't get a signal at the airport, you could always grab a pay
phone. I have never had this "overload" problem at the airport, so I
must be in the minority

Old November 9th, 2003, 08:17 PM
mrtravel

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , mrtravel
writes

You shouldn't wait until the checkpoint before taking your laptop out
of the bag.

And are you going to personally underwrite my loss if it accidentally
drops on the floor? People put laptops in bags for a *reason*.

Are you saying you don't have the ability to carry your laptop in your
hand without dropping it on the floor?

Old November 9th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Julian Fowler

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 20:15:08 GMT, mrtravel wrote:

PTRAVEL wrote:

"Hungry Racoon" wrote in message

in time. Your phone charger would arrive usually well before those 3 days.

And if it doesn't?

How long will it take you to replace it?
If you are going to a destination that has cell phone access, finding a
charger can't be the big of a deal.

Actually, this is one thing that I would put in the "essentials"
category. Since no two phones seem to use the same charger, and I've
found it difficult to get a second/spare charger in the shop from
which I bought the phone* I would never trust to "I can get a
replacement when I get there".

Julian

* when I've done this I usually get incredulous stares from the
pre-pubescent salespersons that phone shops usually employ, comments
ridiculing the fact that I'm still using a phone that's "like, y'know,
A YEAR OLD -- you can't, like, y'know, get spares for anything THAT
OLD", followed by an attempt to sell me something that takes pictures,
makes tea, but probably doesn't work any better as a telephone :-(

--
Julian Fowler
Old November 9th, 2003, 08:33 PM
PTRAVEL

"mrtravel" wrote in message
. ..

PTRAVEL wrote:

"Hungry Racoon" wrote in message

in time. Your phone charger would arrive usually well before those 3

days.

And if it doesn't?

How long will it take you to replace it?
If you are going to a destination that has cell phone access, finding a
charger can't be the big of a deal.

When I'm on the road for business, I don't have _any_ time to shop for
anything. For a typical trial, I work 20 hours a day. For depositions,
I'll be at the depo site from from 8am to 6pm, then back to the hotel for
dinner in my room while I prepare for the next day.

For the OP to suggest that I should jeopardize my clients and my job to suit
his conception of the appropriate way to travel is both arrogant and
ridiculous. It is obvious, though, that he doesn't do business travel (or,
for that matter, any kind of travel) and, most likely, whatever job he has
doesn't encompass having primary responsibility for anything.

Old November 9th, 2003, 08:47 PM
mrtravel

PTRAVEL wrote:

"Hungry Racoon" wrote in message

in time. Your phone charger would arrive usually well before those 3 days.

And if it doesn't?

How long will it take you to replace it?
If you are going to a destination that has cell phone access, finding a
charger can't be the big of a deal.

Actually, this is one thing that I would put in the "essentials"
category. Since no two phones seem to use the same charger, and I've
found it difficult to get a second/spare charger in the shop from
which I bought the phone* I would never trust to "I can get a
replacement when I get there".

What is the big deal about carry it with you in the first place?
I don't see why there was an issue. They are small enough to fit in a
pocket. I usually carry mine in my laptop bag when traveling.

Old November 9th, 2003, 09:04 PM
PTRAVEL

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...

PTRAVEL wrote:

"Hungry Racoon" wrote in message

in time. Your phone charger would arrive usually well before those 3

days.

And if it doesn't?

How long will it take you to replace it?
If you are going to a destination that has cell phone access, finding a
charger can't be the big of a deal.

Actually, this is one thing that I would put in the "essentials"
category. Since no two phones seem to use the same charger, and I've
found it difficult to get a second/spare charger in the shop from
which I bought the phone* I would never trust to "I can get a
replacement when I get there".

What is the big deal about carry it with you in the first place?
I don't see why there was an issue. They are small enough to fit in a
pocket. I usually carry mine in my laptop bag when traveling.

Exactly, which is why the OP was so far off in his posting in the first
place.

Old November 9th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Roland Perry

In message , mrtravel
writes
What is the big deal about carry it with you in the first place?
I don't see why there was an issue. They are small enough to fit in a
pocket. I usually carry mine in my laptop bag when traveling.

Oh, do keep up! The "big deal" is whether it's essential enough to be in
your carry-on rather than in your (might get lost) checked baggage.
--
Roland Perry
Old November 9th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Roland Perry

In message , PTRAVEL
writes
For the OP to suggest that I should jeopardize my clients and my job to suit
his conception of the appropriate way to travel is both arrogant and
ridiculous. It is obvious, though, that he doesn't do business travel (or,
for that matter, any kind of travel) and, most likely, whatever job he has
doesn't encompass having primary responsibility for anything.

I sympathise a lot with what you say. When I'm "power travelling" in
foreign parts, my day is typically 8am to 11pm (or later). Doing any
kind of shopping is entirely out of the question.

But what this proves is simply that different people have different
lifestyles, and projecting what's "right" or "sufficient" for one
lifestyle won't suit others.

There was a time when air travel was a convenience, which enabled the
power traveller to function more efficiently. Sadly, it's rapidly
becoming a distress purchase that "gets in the way".
--
Roland Perry