Tours in Colon, Panama

Old December 6th, 2005, 03:54 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Tours in Colon, Panama

We are going to Colon in January and I would like to know what are the
best tours to take from the ship. Also, has anyone done their own
tours? Are they safe and what was the cost?

Thanks,
Linda

Old December 6th, 2005, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We are also going to colon in january,what ship are you on?

Old December 7th, 2005, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

I heard Colon is very dangerous and filthy, but, otherwise quite nice!

Old December 7th, 2005, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

What we have found to be the 'best' tour in Panama is what is called the
"Grand Tour" on some lines. It consists of a bud ride through the city to
the old US Naval base where they load you into boats and take you out onto
one of the lakes to observe wildlife and then take you to an Indian Village
for a show and to learn some of their culture and buy gifts. They then
return you to the ex-Naval base for another small show and of course the
gift store. The then take you to the Gatun locks where there is a short
lecture on the locks and you are allowed to watch the ships travel through
them. A little bit of everything for everyone on that tour.
Jim

Old December 7th, 2005, 02:32 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We are sailing on the Liberty, same as you. You asked about the tables
in the dining rooms, they have both round and rectangular. Linda

Old December 8th, 2005, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

LINDA:
Thanks for your info.glad they have some round tables,we will be sure to
request one,did the grand tour in colon,and it was very nice,have been
to panama 4 times #5 coming up.
surfer e 2468

Old December 9th, 2005, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We went to panama ore than once because the cruises we were on had that
on there itinery,and where the ship gos we go,and it was nice,we sat
once and watched the ship go thru the canal,enjoying a heinekin beer
that only cost $1.00 where as on the ship it was $4.50 Also
climbed to the observatory and enjoyed seeing the ship pass thru,and
twice stayed on the ship to go thru
Different strokes for different folks,i often wonder why so many like
going to places like the crummy beer joints with loud music when
they go to an island.

Old December 11th, 2005, 12:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

This will be our third trip to the canal, but the first one docking at
Colon. Most of our group has never been there so I'm sure they'll take
the grand tour. Since you have been there 4 times, do you know if you
can hire a taxi or van at the port for a tour? If so would it be safe?
Tnx, Linda