Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

Old August 28th, 2010, 08:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry[_1_]

Default Transportation option from London City Airport to Regents Park.

In message , at 06:18:55 on Sat,
28 Aug 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

I always wanted to fly on a Concorde and sail on the QE2. I never
managed the former but did the latter in its penultimate year of doing
"real" crossings.

I think Goodwood had a package which was Concorde out and QE2 back.

My disappointment was assuaged somewhat by a talk on board for a former
Concorde captain.

In the mid 90's I lived a few doors away from the QE2's captain (Ronald
Warwick). And from there I would travel up to London on the newly
privatised Great Western.
--
Roland Perry
Old August 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Clive Page

In message , Roland Perry
writes
BA238 dep 8.15am arr 7.40pm
AA156 dep 9.10am arr 8.45pm

The problem with all these conventional same-day flights is that you
lose the whole day in USA, but you also aren't forced to try to make do
with very little sleep overnight.

I'm surprised these flight times aren't a lot more common, and more
popular. I've only managed to use them a few times, but each time I've
had virtually no jet-lag, whereas I usually suffer for several days. I
put it down to the fact that after a whole day travelling you get home,
crash straight into bed, and sleep soundly.

--
Clive Page
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Andy Champ[_2_]

On 27/08/2010 20:34, Robin wrote:

I've arrived back from NY at about that time too. Although having
travelled at Mach 2

jealousy
Who was paying your expenses on that flight?
/jealousy

We weren't all on expenses. When I was a lad, and you had the Athena
tennis girl on your wall, I had Concorde.

I couldn't not fly on her. It was a lot, but I don't regret it for a
minute. Nor does my wife, every time she meets someone like you!

BTW we went out on a 747.

PS
IIRC there are also not-a red-eye flights from Boston arriving in London
c.21:00 And I paid my own fare :((

We did that one once too. I just _hate_ the redeye that I always get
for business trips, but that one was a
last-whole-family-holiday-before-the-kids-are-too-old trip.

Andy
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
James Silverton[_3_]

Ian wrote on Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:45:20 +0100:

In message , Roland Perry
writes
In message , at 06:18:55 on
Sat, 28 Aug 2010, Ian Jelf remarked:

I always wanted to fly on a Concorde and sail on the QE2. I never
managed the former but did the latter in its
penultimate year of doing "real" crossings.

I think Goodwood had a package which was Concorde out and QE2
back.

Yes, they were quite popular, I think. But rather out of my league
in terms of price.

By the time we went on the QE2 she was in her last years of
sailings and prices were significantly lower! Not an
especially luxurious vessel by modern standards but levels of service
I've just never encountered elsewhere and a "real
ship" as opposed to the floating gin palaces bobbing around
the Caribbean pretending to be the Same Thing [TM].

I first travelled to the US on the old Queen Mary. Despite running into
a hurricane and having water splashing on the uppermost windows, even
sailing steerage (tourist) was amazingly luxurious to an ex-graduate
student. This was despite sharing a cabin with three others and
salt-water baths (you were provided with a large jug of fresh water for
a final rinse down.) Even such baths had a touch of class with one's
steward knocking on the door and saying "Sir, your bath is ready." I
even managed a very mild shipboard "romance".

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old August 29th, 2010, 09:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry[_1_]

In message , at 15:16:12 on Sat, 28 Aug
2010, Clive Page remarked:

BA238 dep 8.15am arr 7.40pm
AA156 dep 9.10am arr 8.45pm

The problem with all these conventional same-day flights is that you
lose the whole day in USA, but you also aren't forced to try to make
do with very little sleep overnight.

I'm surprised these flight times aren't a lot more common, and more
popular.

Even for the East Coast, you can't turn those planes round and arrive
back before midnight (and the further away the USA hub is, the worst it
gets).

And if you keep the plane overnight in the UK and set off back at 7am
the following morning, you won't get back until around 9am, which is
quite late to turn round and come back to UK before midnight.

So even if that did just work for Boston & NY (and UK rather than
somewhere an hour further east), you'd have a very restricted choice of
takeoff times, trying to compress too many flights together (remember,
there's around 20 a day just London-NY).

I've only managed to use them a few times, but each time I've had
virtually no jet-lag, whereas I usually suffer for several days. I put
it down to the fact that after a whole day travelling you get home,
crash straight into bed, and sleep soundly.

Jetlag affects different people in different ways. The usual problem
flying east is that because you typically set off in the afternoon, it's
tempting to stay awake into the 'evening'. Whereas you really need to
set a watch to midnight (as it will be roughly, at the destination) and
go straight to sleep.

--
Roland Perry
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,uk.transport.london
Martin Rich[_2_]

"Clive Page" wrote in message
In message , Roland Perry
writes
BA238 dep 8.15am arr 7.40pm
AA156 dep 9.10am arr 8.45pm

The problem with all these conventional same-day flights is that you lose
the whole day in USA, but you also aren't forced to try to make do with
very little sleep overnight.

I'm surprised these flight times aren't a lot more common, and more
popular. I've only managed to use them a few times, but each time I've
had virtually no jet-lag, whereas I usually suffer for several days. I
put it down to the fact that after a whole day travelling you get home,
crash straight into bed, and sleep soundly.

On balance I like the daytime flights, but have found the disadvantage is
that I get home in London around 10pm, but it's still only 5pm East coast of
the US time, and that I don't feel like sleeping until well after midnight
London time

Martin