i'm off to ozz...where to get best exchange rate in uk?

Old November 2nd, 2003, 07:50 AM
gwen

Default EFTPOS was: i'm off to ozz

Dave Noble schreef:
Which of cheque or savings for the account type did you use to get it
to work?

Sorry Dave, I don't remember.
Paying via EFTPOS didn't work at all supermarkets. In that case I used my
creditcard.

Gwen

Old December 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Frank Slootweg

Default i'm off to ozz...where to get best exchange rate in uk?

[Very late response. Just back from Oz.]

On November 1, Dave Noble wrote:
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:03:01 +0000, Jason
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:19:53 +0000, Frank Slootweg wrote:

If they are "backed by VISA", then I assume they are credit cards
(ours are MasterCard cards). In our experience, Oz banks do not accept
credit cards, at least not foreign ones, to draw money over the counter.

Didn't you only try it in one bank though? I think the bank clerk just got
it wrong. I've done cash advances on credit cards many times in several
countries, probably including Oz.

In the UK, Visa Debit cards are pretty common too. What I've never tried
is getting a cash advance with one via EFTPOS in a store. Anyone know if
this works?

It doesn't ( or didn't not that long ago ) . EFTPOS only works for
Australian cards I believe

Just to be clear, *for this purpose*, i.e. for *drawing* money over
the counter in a *shop*, "EFTPOS only works for Australian cards". For
*paying* goods/services, non-Australian *credit* cards just works fine
at any EFTPOS shop I have been.
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Frank Slootweg

On November 1, Jason wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:19:53 +0000, Frank Slootweg wrote:

If they are "backed by VISA", then I assume they are credit cards
(ours are MasterCard cards). In our experience, Oz banks do not accept
credit cards, at least not foreign ones, to draw money over the counter.

Didn't you only try it in one bank though? I think the bank clerk just got
it wrong. I've done cash advances on credit cards many times in several
countries, probably including Oz.

We tried it about three times. IIRC at different banks. Then I gave up
and have not tried again.

In the UK, Visa Debit cards are pretty common too. What I've never tried
is getting a cash advance with one via EFTPOS in a store. Anyone know if
this works?

As I wrote, this won't work with a *foreign* (i.e. non-Australian)
*credit* card. I also does not work with a European 'Euro'/'World' card,
which is a (Maestro) *debit* card. [I just tried it again, because again
we got ourselves into an ATM-less situation. Some people never learn!
:-)]