Moving from California to North Carolina

Old July 24th, 2007, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Jerry Von Werder

Default Moving from California to North Carolina

Hi;
I'm a newbie and wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on taking a
scenic route out to North Carolina. I've driven it 3 times (from NC to
Ca) but always using the quickest route. This time I'm driving the
family to NC (planning on taking 7 to 10 days) and was looking for
suggestions.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Jerry

--
Jerry Von Werder
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

Old July 25th, 2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Jul 24, 9:14 am, Jerry Von Werder Jerry.Von.Werder.2u8...@no-
mx.forums.travel.com wrote:
Hi;
I'm a newbie and wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on taking a
scenic route out to North Carolina. I've driven it 3 times (from NC to
Ca) but always using the quickest route. This time I'm driving the
family to NC (planning on taking 7 to 10 days) and was looking for
suggestions.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Jerry

--
Jerry Von Werder
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

If you are taking 7 to 10 days you don't have that much time to be
scenic. You didn't say which part of california you are starting from
(it does make a rather big difference you know).

Old July 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
k[_1_]

"Jerry Von Werder" wrote
in message ...

Hi;
I'm a newbie and wanted to know if anyone has suggestions on taking a
scenic route out to North Carolina. I've driven it 3 times (from NC to
Ca) but always using the quickest route. This time I'm driving the
family to NC (planning on taking 7 to 10 days) and was looking for
suggestions.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Jerry

--
Jerry Von Werder
Message Origin: TRAVEL.com

There are many scenic routes East, so consider what you've already seen and
try to take a different path. For scenery, the West is great, north or
south. To the north, you might consider US2 or US 20. 2 is the
northernmost US hwy in the country, and that might be a plus in summer, but
you'd want to head south by Minnesota. It's a nice road if prairie bores
you, but you can find plenty of prairie on US20. On 20, you still want to
head southeast after Minnesota.

Even farther south there are plenty of cross-country roads. They are
even-numbered and end in zero. The one that actually ends up in NC is US
70. A good source is wikipedia. Just type in the route # (US10, I-90) and
they will present a map and a lot of other things.

Use the whole ten days. The closer to the northern or southern borders you
go, the slower you'll go, because it's more interesting. If you choose to
go through the middle, there's plenty worth missing, so the Interstate
through the prairie states won't cheat you of anything. With ten days, you
only have to cover +/- 300 miles/day, and you can make up time through the
prairies, which you can spend in more scenic places.

Once you're in the east, I'd suggest swings through St. Louis (for the river
and the Arch), Memphis for the food and jazz, Nashville because it's where
the Natchez-Trace begins, and a jaunt down that road. It doesn't go where
you're headed, but it's a beautiful road just the same. You can pick your
own route east from there before you leave Tennessee. Chattanooga is a
handsome old town, and the Smokies follow right on.

Have a nice drive!

Keith