Athens on a Monday????

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

Default Athens on a Monday????

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:17:47 -0800 (PST), Warren
wrote:

One way fares are outrageous, but when I price roundtrip
the price drops more the 50% and is half of what the cruise line wants
for air! So I guess I just won't show up for my return flight...

Hi Warren,

If anyone is contemplating booking a round trip and not showing up for
their return and throwing away half the ticket, may I recommend you
not buy the ticket from a travel agent. Why, you ask? The airlines
can debit the travel agency for this practice.

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On Feb 5, 8:43*am, Ray Goldenberg wrote:

*The airlines can debit the travel agency for this practice. *

Reading between the lines are you warning that you are aware of
airlines charging passengers the difference to the card used to buy
the ticket?

I book my air online, usually directly from the airlines.

Warren
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:20:55 -0800 (PST), Warren
wrote:

Reading between the lines are you warning that you are aware of
airlines charging passengers the difference to the card used to buy
the ticket?

Hi Warren,

The airlines can charge the travel agency.

Old February 5th, 2009, 06:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Warren wrote:

On Feb 5, 8:43*am, Ray Goldenberg wrote:

*The airlines can debit the travel agency for this practice. *

Reading between the lines are you warning that you are aware of
airlines charging passengers the difference to the card used to buy
the ticket?

I book my air online, usually directly from the airlines.

Warren

This used to be a problem with the Friday night stays and I think
that's about when they started to charge travel agents the extra.

The deal was - you got a lower fair if you didn't fly out on Monday
and back on Friday - that is if you spent Friday night and came home
on Saturday. I think this was to charge extra to businessmen,
salesmen etc. Folks who were working away from home or attending
school or something didn't care to pay a higher fare, so they would
book nested flights. Fly from city A to city B on Monday the 1st and
back on Friday the 12th. Then book another flight flying from city B
to city A on Friday the 5th and back on Monday the 8th. Both flights
would be cheaper because each would have a Saturday stay. [It was
wise to book the flights on different airlines.] The airlines tried
to close this loophole and one of the ways was to charge travel agents
who did it for their clients.

I'm not sure whether the airline wouldn't now come back to the
traveler themselves and charge the extra fare on their credit card.
Old February 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM
ANMOUGGO ANMOUGGO is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gersten View Post
We're looking at a cruise in the Eastern Mediterranean for this summer
if we can swing half way decent airfare. (The cruise price is very
good.) The cruise stop in Piraeus (Athens) is on a Monday. Will there be
a lot closed? I know in 2007 when we spent a day after the cruise in
Copenhagen, many of the major museums were closed on Mondays.
Yes! During Mondays a lot of museums of Athens are closed. Although maybe we have a conversation in Greece about change museum policies during summer periods. But expect the major museum of city of Athens there are a lot of places to see. Contact with me to help you private. (I live in Piraeus...)