Fiji - Cars and boats

Old August 6th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Alan

Default Fiji - Cars and boats

I know this is a little outside the area, but I'm not sure which ng is
appropriate.

I'm off to Fiji in two weeks and would appreciate any advice on the
place, particularly on a rental car for a week and one-day island
cruises. But any other general info would also be appreciated.

TIA

Cheers, Alan
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:30 AM
SteveS

Rental cars, we only use Sharmas Rentals. Cheaper than Hertz, Avis, etc but
the cars are not quite as new but still as safe as cars come in Fiji and are
reliable. Mind you to really enjoy yourself in Fiji, you must realise that
it is different from a civilised country that you are used to. The service
will not be the same, the food will be cheaper but not as good etc. If you
have never been there before, you should come back with many stories to keep
your dinner party guests entertained with for hours.

We only drink bottled water, beer, wine, etc. The tap water may be OK to
drink but don't. Likewise be careful with the food. There is McD's in Nadi
and Suva and is OK. Most of the resorts and better hotels are OK for food
but if a shop, restaurant or cheaper hotel looks dodgy, don't eat there.

As for boat trips, there are a whole host of them. I have done a few but the
one that stands out was to Day Dream Island about 10 years ago. It may have
changed since then. Your hotel will be able to help you. We find that the
smaller ones give a better experience than being crammed on a boat with 500
other people.

Have fun, wish I was there in Fiji rather than in a cold Melbourne winter
day - yuk.

SteveS

Old August 7th, 2004, 01:47 AM
Alan

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 10:30:19 +1000, "SteveS" wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that - I'll do a little googling based on that advice.

Cheers, Alan
Old August 8th, 2004, 10:49 PM
Peter S

Alan
We have just returned from Fiji in mid July.
One cruise that we went on was the Tivua (Mystery) Island cruise run by
Captain Cook Cruises http://www.captcookcrus.com.au/. They also run other
cruises to outer islands.

We didn't hire a car but spent most of our time at the resort (Shangi-la's
Fijian on the Coral Coast).

We drank the tap water at the resort but took bottled water on the tours,
especially one to a village. On that tour we ate the village food without
any problems but my father had problems at that same village when he was
there a few years ago. Luck of the draw?

Where are you staying? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Peter S

Old August 8th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Alan

On Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:49:26 GMT, "Peter S"
wrote:

Alan
We have just returned from Fiji in mid July.
One cruise that we went on was the Tivua (Mystery) Island cruise run by
Captain Cook Cruises http://www.captcookcrus.com.au/. They also run other
cruises to outer islands.

We didn't hire a car but spent most of our time at the resort (Shangi-la's
Fijian on the Coral Coast).

We drank the tap water at the resort but took bottled water on the tours,
especially one to a village. On that tour we ate the village food without
any problems but my father had problems at that same village when he was
there a few years ago. Luck of the draw?

Where are you staying? Let me know if you have any other questions.

Peter S

Thanks for the response Peter

We're staying at Beachside Resort on arrival then the Outrigger Reef,
Sigatoka for four nights. Then an un-booked night somewhere before
heading home.

We'll probably check out Nadi township en-route between the hotels
(Sunday). My intention is to spend at least one day driving around the
island in a rental car. I'm unlikely to eat village food - I have some
medical hassles and immunity problems, so I'm fairly careful there. Same
for kava.

I also want to spend one day on the water - thanks for that link, I'll
check it out. The hotel apparently provides watersports equipment -
kayaks, snorkelling gear etc, so I'll be using that locally near the
hotel.

`
Cheers, Alan

Old August 9th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Robin

Alan,
Check out this site for info on day cruises from the Coral Coast
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...OAST&AUID=2536

I cannot comment personally as it is a long time since I went to Fiji

Robin