Lufthansa "Miles and Less" ? Why Star Alliance FF Discrepencies

Old September 20th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Philip Nelson

Default Lufthansa "Miles and Less" ? Why Star Alliance FF Discrepencies

For a few years now I've been happily handing over my Lufthansa Miles and
More card whenever I fly on a Star Alliance carrier, purely because a few
years ago I did a lot of flying on Lufthansa and therefore I had
accumulated a fair amount of reward points.

This year I've done more travelling than normal, including on the Star
Alliance carriers BMI, United, Lufthansa and Air Canada. I am within a
whisker of Lufthansa Silver status.

I had thought that Star Alliance meant that the benefits from each carrier
were the same : and so it is if you want to get a "Star Alliance Reward".
But for status I have, to my shock, found out that it is not so.

After speaking to someone who is a Air Canada Aeroplan holder I decided to
check out status levels for the other Star Alliance patterns I've flown on.
And find that, unless I'm missing something, I'm being well and truly
messed up by Lufthansa.

To get Silver status with Lufthansa you need 35k miles (55k if you live in
Germany or Austria). I found that if I had handed over my BMI card, I'd
have had Silver status at 16k miles, and would be just about at Gold status
(38k miles). Since BMI Gold and Lufthansa Gold both give you Star
Alliance Gold, what is the deal ?

I guess I need to acquire the Lufthansa Silver for this year (one more round
trip to London should see to that), but should I really then start using my
BMI card ?

Or is it more difficult to acquire status miles with BMI ?

TIA

Phil Nelson
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:28 AM
Henry

Philip Nelson wrote:

I had thought that Star Alliance meant that the benefits from each carrier
were the same : and so it is if you want to get a "Star Alliance Reward".
But for status I have, to my shock, found out that it is not so.

Here is a nice compendium of relevant information.

http://members.shaw.ca/deercroft/starall04.html

cheers,

Henry