Travel to Aust & NZ

Old December 16th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Geoff McCaughan

Bob Phillips wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
T...

Must stress that the big thing is the Milford Track booking. Everything
else can be done with a few months maximum, more likely a day or so,
depending on whether you travel at the same time the locals are having
their school holidays or not.

I got this from checking out the schedules already. I just need to get an
itinerary together, even allowing for deviation from same, and then I can
make that booking. I assume you have done the trail. Is it the best in the
world :-)?

I have done it. It's good, hard to say it's the best without doing
everything else in the world too... If you're fit and have good [broken in]
boots you'll enjoy it. If you're unfit or have new boots, you'll have a
painful time.

--
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

Old December 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Bob Phillips

"Peter" wrote in message
T...
In article , Bob Phillips
says...
I assume you have done the trail. Is it the best in the
world :-)?

So they say. My wife wanted to do it twenty years ago, but she probably
couldn't handle all the walking now, and I'm not going to do it by
myself. We left it too late while we were having kids and building
careers. ***SIGH***

That's exactly my position now, don't scare me of vbg. I think we are fit,
and I understand it is not a tough route, so I'm still up for it.

Heh. As soon as I left the first time, I wanted to come back. Took me
twenty years, but I did it and loved it just as much.

Not sure I have got another 20 :-).

BTW, here's the link to the Milford Sound overnight cruises.
http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/OvernightCruises/ Pricey when
compared to typical overnight accommodation, but when you put it
together as a package including the meals and the cruises (and the
chance of kayaking and shore excursions in fine weather) I reckon it's a
bargain.

Thanks for the link, and I agree with your conclusions.

Bob

Old December 16th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Bob Phillips

"Peter" wrote in message
T...
In article , Bob Phillips
says...

Old December 18th, 2004, 09:44 PM
george

Sydney bridge has walkover trips. You go in a group roped together.
Costs about $160.00 Oz Cannot see it myself but it sure gets the
business. Royal botanical gardens in Sydney is very worth while visit
as is the old jail.Ferry rides are good deal. Perhaps a short trip to
Bondi beach by train or bus would be worth while.It is quite close
by.Hong Kong not my cup of tea.More time spent in Oz better i think.In
Sydney there is a huge market and that is where you can get very good
bargains. UGG boots for example.

--
george
george's Profile: http://travelforums.org/forums/member.php?userid=347

Old December 18th, 2004, 09:47 PM
george

In Dunedin ( south island) my daughter went on the see the penguins
trip. Really had a good time.Bird sanctuary also.Digital camera you
should have extra memory also as scenery etc, is quite spectacular

Old January 4th, 2005, 05:28 PM
george

NZ is extremely beautiful country. It is well set up for the tourist
trade without the fear of being ripped off which i found very
comforting during my 2 month stay.Car rental is good. Roads excellent.
Scenery spectacular. Many side trips for animal/bird watching
available.North island has wonderful tropical forests and beaches while
south island is rugged and for the bird watchers and mountain
climbers.Hostels everwhere and well maintained.You will enjoy no doubt
about that.I travelled there from Canada.