Travel to Australia in May/June 2004

Old March 3rd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Rama

Default Travel to Australia in May/June 2004

Hi,
We are a family of four planning a 2 week vacation in Australia. 3
days Melbourne, 4 days Sydney and 5 days in Cairns.
Do you have any recommendations for family accomodation, service
apartments preferably (around 100 Aus dollars)? Is it tourist season
time -May end-first week of June?
We have two kids one 15 and another 8. Also, do they charge for kids
separately, is breakfast normally included with the rate? Which is the
best way to book and when should we do this?
We will be flying from Melbourne to Sydney to cairns. Please advise.
Regards
Rama
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:25 AM
A Mate

#1. End of May, first week of June is clear of school holidays etc.
#2. $100 per night is available in Cairns; I haven't been to Melbourne or
Sydney in paid accommodation for some time - but it should be OK. The rate
is for the apartment - no extra unless extra bedding is required - which if
you rent a 2 br apartment (unit in Austr English) you would not need!
#3. Breakfast is usually not available in holiday units. They are normally
self catering, tho' some have continental breakfast packs available.
#4. Where to look. Try:
http://www.wotif.com/?country=1

Good Luck!

om...

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Robin Nash

Melbourne - Bayside Easystay; St Kilda beach - Family Room - $101.00
Sydney - Y on Park; Hyde Park City - Budget Quad Room - $124.00
Cairns - Queens Court Motel, City Centre - Family Room - $110.00

This is total prices for the family - does not include breakfast
Budget 2-Bedroom Apartments are normally around the $200.00
Cheaper Motel style places are not right in city centre and not ideal for
short stay

More info see www.honatravel.com / Hotels (book online)

Old March 4th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Rama

Many thanks to both of you. I did check with "y on the park" for end
may for a family room. They seem to be full. I will try Melbourne and
cairns.
Can any one comment about Jenolan caves? Is it possible to do a day's
trip from Sydney(we have only four days in Sydney) ?
Regards
Rama

"

Old March 4th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Karen Foster

Rama,

I've been to Jenolan Caves a few times and it's well worth while. There are
quite a few different cave tours to choose from. As far as making it a day
trip, I have just checked out www.travelmate.com.au where they have a very
useful Smart Trip section. It says it's a two and a half hour drive from
Sydney and distance is 165 kilometres. It would be a long day but I think
quite feasible.

Regards,
Karen

m...

Old March 4th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Karen Foster at none
wrote on 3/4/04 1:04 PM:

Rama,

I've been to Jenolan Caves a few times and it's well worth while. There are
quite a few different cave tours to choose from. As far as making it a day
trip, I have just checked out www.travelmate.com.au where they have a very
useful Smart Trip section. It says it's a two and a half hour drive from
Sydney and distance is 165 kilometres. It would be a long day but I think
quite feasible.

Regards,
Karen

Yes - avoid the flow of traffic during the SYD rush hour. I vividly recall
driving into Sydney from the Blue Mountains on a Friday afternoon - we had
clear sailing but the bumper-to-bumper OUT of the city stretched for miles.

Better than a long day trip - spend overnight in Katoomba or Leura. Very
pretty towns and well worth a poke around.

Old March 4th, 2004, 10:35 PM
Ralph R

Rama, Jenolan caves are 2.5-3 hrs by car from Sydney. A day trip
should be possible but not ideal. AAT Kings do day trips from Sydney
to the caves. The caves are seen by guided tour only so you'll have to
time your arrival/departure according to the tour schedule. See:
http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/main.html

We drove to Jenolan Caves a couple of years ago, stayed overnight.
They are indeed very impressive. Some lovely scenery on the drive out
there - it would well worth your while stopping for a quick look at
the Govet's Leap Lookout near Blackheath. Sublime Point and the Three
Sisters in Katoomba are beautiful too, but that area's a bit too
touristy for my liking.

Ralph R, CT, USA

Old March 6th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Rama

Thanks to all of you who have responded. Please advise me on whether
it would be possible to reduce our stay at Cairns from 4 to 3 days and
include Ayer's rock. We could then fly from Sydney to Ayer's rock and
then from Ayer's rock to Cairns thenext day. Am I trying to squeeze in
too much?
3 nights Mel
4 nights Sydney
1 night Ayer's rock
3 night Cairns

The flight tickets to Ayer's rock are over and above our Qantas
regular deal. Is it worth the trouble? Would we get to see anthing at
all at Ayer's rock?
Should we just skip Ayer's rock?
Regards
Rama
Old March 6th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Anne Chambers

Rama wrote:
Thanks to all of you who have responded. Please advise me on whether
it would be possible to reduce our stay at Cairns from 4 to 3 days and
include Ayer's rock. We could then fly from Sydney to Ayer's rock and
then from Ayer's rock to Cairns thenext day. Am I trying to squeeze in
too much?
3 nights Mel
4 nights Sydney
1 night Ayer's rock
3 night Cairns

The flight tickets to Ayer's rock are over and above our Qantas
regular deal. Is it worth the trouble? Would we get to see anthing at
all at Ayer's rock?
Should we just skip Ayer's rock?
Regards
Rama

Give up any of the other destinations, but don't miss Ayers Rock/Uluru
Anne
South Australia

--
The privacy.net address is a spam trap.