looking for abandoned places to explore in Victoria

Old July 23rd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Alan

Default looking for abandoned places to explore in Victoria

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:41:13 GMT, richard wrote:

My gf and I like to explore abandoned, desolate, derelict places,
buildings, factories, anything in a state of decay which exudes
loneliness. I'd appreciate any info ranging from a single abandoned
building in Melbourne to a whole ghost town, old mine, anything. No
tours.

Thanks,
dic at bigpond dot net dot au

Sounds like you're down south. Try the Walkerville Lime Kilns. Find
Leongatha on your map and look to the coast due south.

Cheers, Alan
Old July 25th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Daniel Bowen

"richard" wrote in message
My gf and I like to explore abandoned, desolate, derelict places,
buildings, factories, anything in a state of decay which exudes
loneliness. I'd appreciate any info ranging from a single abandoned
building in Melbourne to a whole ghost town, old mine, anything. No
tours.

Hawthorn Football Club, after a game?

Daniel

Old July 25th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Big Jim

Hello Richard

The area between Mitta Mitta and Omeo in North East Victoria was occupied by
thousands of gold miners in the late nineteenth century. There are some
places to explore there where the miners used to live and operate. One of my
favourite places is 10km from Mitta Mitta heading towards Omeo. There is an
old disused church and cemetary to mark where a town used to be. If you go
wandering through the bush, you will discover old gold mining operations
however please make sure you stay on public land as the locals get peeved
when people start wandering on their properties without permission.

Also, further towards Omeo, there are also some old huts in the bush you can
stay in if you can find them so long as they weren't burnt down with last
years bush fires and so long as some one else isn't already staying in them
when you get there. One of the huts is called the "Quart Pot Flat" hut which
I helped to rebuild with some friends about 20 years ago and another is
called the "Post Office" hut. I believe they are both still marked on maps
of the area.

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Old July 27th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Traveller

"Daniel Bowen" wrote in message
. ..
"richard" wrote in message
My gf and I like to explore abandoned, desolate, derelict places,
buildings, factories, anything in a state of decay which exudes
loneliness. I'd appreciate any info ranging from a single abandoned
building in Melbourne to a whole ghost town, old mine, anything. No
tours.

Hawthorn Football Club, after a game?

Daniel

Or Canberra during the Christmas break - they are all at the coast.
Matt