TRAIN in OZ?

Old February 23rd, 2004, 01:07 PM
Johnnie5

Default TRAIN in OZ?

"jb" wrote in message
Anyone know if it is feasable to think of doing a train trip from
Sydney to Adelaide? Also, Adelaide to Melbourne? Costs?

Just trying to think of a way to avoid flying!

is that because ou dont like flying ?

or think that there are cheaper ways to travel ??

Thanks,

john

Old February 25th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Kate

Train journeys are fantastic in Australia - you really get an
appreciation of how big the country really is. The train is expensive
though - usually more than a flight. But if you've got the time and
the money, definitely do it. Also is cheaper if you're a student or
under 26. Go to http://www.gsr.com.au for info. I've done Adelaide to
Sydney (my friend's dad works on the train and my mate and I got
bumped up to FIRST CLASS - what an amazing experience) and Adelaide to
Perth. That one took 3 days and 2 nights but was well worth it.
Economy is a bit uncomfortable on that one as it is so long. I'd go
for holiday class where you get a little cabin and fold out bunkbeds.
Old February 26th, 2004, 11:56 PM
steven

you can do them syd-adl on the ...train... thingo pacific which runs
syd-perth via adelaide. from friendly experience i've noticed that
usually train tickets cost just as much as plane tickets (and take 10
times longer)
dunno about adelaide to melbourne.

Old February 26th, 2004, 11:58 PM
steven

i thought i pressed send, haven't seen my reply though. so here goes again.
you can do sydney to adelaide via train. the something pacific. it's a
train that runs sydney-perth and stops at adelaide.
however, from epxeriences by friends, it's very long and just as (if not
more) expensive than a plane ticket/trip.
dunno about adelaide to melbourne.
-s-