abolishing tipping?

Old November 13th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Anonymouse

Default Comida típica

Same applies to finding good ethnic cuisine wherever you are right now.
There are two Vietnamese restaurants near my home. Around dinner time one is
always jam packed with Vietnamese people, while the other has two or three
groups of people who are... well... not Vietnamese by any stretch of the
imagination. Which one do you think serves better Vietnamese food?

Hi,

yea the ol' ethnic clientel test.

if the restaurant in question has a good representation of the ethnicity
it's supposed to be it's probably OK.

I go to a certain moderate/low end chinese restaurant in amsterdam and
it's always packed from 11am-2pm or so... then from 5pm 'til it's from
50% to 100+% full.

it's Golden Chopsticks at 1 oude doulenstraat... just walk from dam
square on damstraat into the red light district and it's on the left
just after you cross the first canal DOWNSTAIRS (ground level)...don't
go to the upscale chinese restaurant upstairs with carpets, gee-gaws,
and only so so food.

ttyl

akia

--
11" LONG DOUBLE BARREL DERRINGER PARTS SET

Old November 15th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Icono Clast

Anonymouse wrote
Same applies to finding good ethnic cuisine wherever you are right now.
There are two Vietnamese restaurants near my home. Around dinner time one is
always jam packed with Vietnamese people, while the other has two or three
groups of people who are... well... not Vietnamese by any stretch of the
imagination. Which one do you think serves better Vietnamese food?

yea the ol' ethnic clientel test.

if the restaurant in question has a good representation of the ethnicity
it's supposed to be it's probably OK.

A few days ago we were in a non-urb looking for a place to eat. We
found a block with two Chinese restaurants, to Viet-Namese
restaurants, a Thai restaurant, an Indian restaurant, a Mexican
restaurant, and an Italian restaurant. We chose the restaurant with
the most people appearing to be of the culture of the cuisine.

The Chinese place next door was almost empty but the one we chose was
more than 70% full of people at least 90% of whom appeared to be of
Chinese ancestry. The food had nothing to recommend it!

This evening we ate in another non-urb at a Chinese restaurant that we
know and like. The difference 'tween them is significant and this
one's less expensive, too.
A San Francisco gourmand: "You serve it, I'll eat it!"
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old November 15th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Miguel Cruz

Icono Clast wrote:
The Chinese place next door was almost empty but the one we chose was
more than 70% full of people at least 90% of whom appeared to be of
Chinese ancestry. The food had nothing to recommend it!

Maybe they specialized in something? Some places are really good at making a
certain category of dishes and just put other stuff on the menu because they
know people expect it. If you don't know the place it may be hard to guess
(unless you ask "what's good?" and they're honest rather than telling you
what they think someone of your nationality/ethnicity/fanciness would
choose).

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 1st, 2003, 09:39 PM
Mikie177

Default abolishing tipping?

based on my

Old December 2nd, 2003, 05:32 AM
SwtCutiepie

I am a bartender/server, and I do not agree with the notion that tipping should be abolished. Serving you inconsiderate, needy people is a tremendously laboring job. How would you feel about fulfilling 20-30+ people all at the same time during a rush hour dinner, filling every glass of tea, making sure everyone has enough lemons and at the same time making sure your food is prepared to your liking? And to do all that for minimum wage? I don't think so! Maybe you are all unaware of the fact that we are getting paid $2.15 per hour. We are totally dependent on our tips and would not work for wages without them. No restaurant could afford to place servers on an hourly wage. Tipping is an incentive for us to do all of the many things it takes to make our customers happy. If we already know what we are going to make, then why should we care if your food isn't just the way you like it? And if our "wages" were raised 15% of our products, how could you calculate an hourly wage based upon what we sell? No restaurant owner (corporation or little guy) would take money out of there own pockets to simply give to someone else. And nobody would do the grueling and slaving work we do for all of you who are too lazy to cook your own meals. If you don't want to tip then suck it up and listen for the guy on the intercom when he asks if you want fries with that.

Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:15 AM
MMcC

"SwtCutiepie" wrote in message
lkabouttravelling.com...
I am a bartender/server, and I do not agree with the notion that tipping

should be abolished. Serving you inconsiderate, needy people is a
tremendously laboring job. How would you feel about fulfilling 20-30+ people
all at the same time during a rush hour dinner, filling every glass of tea,
making sure everyone has enough lemons and at the same time making sure your
food is prepared to your liking? And to do all that for minimum wage? I
don't think so! Maybe you are all unaware of the fact that we are getting
paid $2.15 per hour.

We're fully aware of that.

We are totally dependent on our tips and would not work for wages without

them. No restaurant could afford to place servers on an hourly wage.

Yet they do it in many other countries around the world.
Do restaurants in other coutnries have special powers then that ones in the
US don't?

Tipping is an incentive for us to do all of the many things it takes to

make our customers happy. If we already know what we are going to make,
then why should we care if your food isn't just the way you like it?

Yet servers/waiters/bartenders in other countries don't get tipped and they
do seem to care.
Are the people in other coutnries somehow different? naturally more caring?
I doubt it.

Besides nobody tips me in my line of work here in the US and I do care about
how the job turns out. I'm not alone. Funny that, eh?

And if our "wages" were raised 15% of our products, how could you calculate

an hourly wage based upon what we sell? No restaurant owner (corporation or
little guy) would take money out of there own pockets to simply give to
someone else.
And nobody would do the grueling and slaving work we do for all of you who

are too lazy to cook your own meals.

And yet in other coutnries people do do that kind of work without being
tipped, and for some it's a very honourable profession.
How do you account for that?

Old December 2nd, 2003, 06:35 PM
Mike O'sullivan

"MMcC" wrote in message

We are totally dependent on our tips and would not work for wages without

them. No restaurant could afford to place servers on an hourly wage.

Yet they do it in many other countries around the world.
Do restaurants in other coutnries have special powers then that ones in

the
US don't?

Works well in the UK too. Nobody tips very much.

Old December 3rd, 2003, 01:18 PM
me

"MMcC" wrote in message ...
[snip]
And yet in other coutnries people do do that kind of work without being
tipped, and for some it's a very honourable profession.
How do you account for that?

You're kinda mixing your assertions here. Many of those folks to
which you are refering in the honorable profession, ARE getting a
percentage of the take. Which in effect is also what the waiter
in a tip based system gets, a percentage of the bill. The flip
side is there are some horribly underpaid folks (by comparison)
whose hourly wage is better than that under our tip system, yet
nowhere near that of the TOTAL income. A proprietor prefers a
tipless system in many ways because it allows him to control the
compensation of his employees. He can control it to serve his
needs and optimize on his profits. In a tip system, YOU control
compensation and can optimize it to YOUR needs and desires.
Service personell I've known that have worked in both systems
prefer the tip system, predominately because it allows them
to make more money. How do you account for that?
Old December 3rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
MMcC

"me" wrote in message
m...
"MMcC" wrote in message

[snip]
And yet in other coutnries people do do that kind of work without being
tipped, and for some it's a very honourable profession.
How do you account for that?

You're kinda mixing your assertions here. Many of those folks to
which you are refering in the honorable profession, ARE getting a
percentage of the take.

You don't say. I bet you read that in the "Big book of the really obvious".

Which in effect is also what the waiter
in a tip based system gets, a percentage of the bill. The flip
side is there are some horribly underpaid folks (by comparison)
whose hourly wage is better than that under our tip system, yet
nowhere near that of the TOTAL income. A proprietor prefers a
tipless system in many ways because it allows him to control the
compensation of his employees.

Quite the contrary, a proprietor loves the tipping system, that way he
doesn't have to worry about paying his employees (outside of the USD2.25
wage), and leaves it soley up to the customer, nor does he have to worry
about all the taxes and paper work etc that he would have to deal with.

He can control it to serve his
needs and optimize on his profits. In a tip system, YOU control
compensation and can optimize it to YOUR needs and desires.
Service personell I've known that have worked in both systems
prefer the tip system, predominately because it allows them
to make more money. How do you account for that?

It's irrelevant to the point being disscused, which you conviently snipped.
My post was neither in favour or against the tipping system, I was
countering some of the silly assertions in the original post.
Here is what the original poster said.

OP And nobody would do the grueling and slaving work we do for all of you
who
OPare too lazy to cook your own meals.

If nobody would do the work then how come people do it in countries where
there is little or no tipping?

We both know the answer to that.
Life can, and does, exist without tipping in many places, often with
excellent food and service and happy employees. I get the impression that
the original poster hasn't traveled abroad much.