abolishing tipping?

Old October 24th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Marie Lewis

Default abolishing tipping?

In article , Go Fig
writes
Nice theory. Ever visited countries where tipping is not the norm? The
service is usually at least as good, often better.

Like where?

We have just come back from three weeks in France, where the service
charge is added by the hotel and restaurant, and we had far, far better
service than we have ever had in many visits to the USA.

Of course, we did not get all the "Have a nice day" rubbish. we did
have intelligent conversations with the staff, however.
--
Marie Lewis
Old October 24th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
Marie Lewis wrote:

In article , Go Fig
writes
Nice theory. Ever visited countries where tipping is not the norm? The
service is usually at least as good, often better.

Like where?

We have just come back from three weeks in France, where the service
charge is added by the hotel and restaurant, and we had far, far better
service than we have ever had in many visits to the USA.

Of course, we did not get all the "Have a nice day" rubbish. we did
have intelligent conversations with the staff, however.

As you well know, the Google archive has more than a few posts about
difficulties with service in France... specifically getting the bill in
a timely manner.

jay
Fri, Oct 24, 2003

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject...
Galileo muttered under his breath: "Nevertheless, it does move."
Old October 24th, 2003, 02:34 PM
JamesStep

We have just come back from three weeks in France...
and we had far, far better service than
we have ever had in many visits to the USA.

My experiences with waiters in France a few years ago
were just the opposite; we found the general level of
service at restaurants to be below what we're used to
in the U.S.

Perhaps we were just unlucky. And to be fair, I should
mention that I found the French people in general to be
friendly, and we enjoyed our trip.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old October 24th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Hatunen

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 04:25:04 GMT, "JTK"
wrote:

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message

"Marie Lewis" wrote in message
how this works in Europe but every waiter I saw was an adult male who
seemed like this was his profession so I am assuming they make a
decent amount of money with the service charge, no tipping necessary
model.

And, believe it or not, it works.

It certainly works in Australia. Nobody tips, because the staff are really
well paid, and guess what! The service is efficent and good, the food is
good, and plentiful, and reasonably priced. If Oz can do it, why can't the
US?

Because Business in general is greedier here, and think it is
there god right and enshrined in their constitution to squeeze
every penny they can out of the pockets of their employees.
It started with slavery and never really stopped. Point in question
look at Wal-Mart employees wages, many Wal-Mart can't even exist on
their pay, and have to get extra assistance from the state to get by.
Just heard this morning on the news, that some Wal-Mart places were
raided, and charged with knowingly employing 150 illegal residents.

A bit wrong there, but a natural leap the way the news items seem
to be worded. The illegal residents work for a company that is a
contractor to Wal-Mart to provide janitorial services. But the
feds are trying to find out if Wal-Mart executives knew about the
illegals and colluded with the contractor.

Old October 24th, 2003, 04:51 PM
Marie Lewis

In article , Go Fig
writes
As you well know, the Google archive has more than a few posts about
difficulties with service in France... specifically getting the bill in
a timely manner.

This may well be: fro Americans. Maybe we have a different attitude.
I saw some Americans who were having some difficulty accepting that the
food in France is

a. not necessarily the same as in the USA

and

b. often served in a different way.

They made quite a fuss about it.

When we go to the States we accept the American food and service and,
against our will, I must admit, the tipping. We smile and do not
grumble. Why could not the people I refer to above have done the same?
--
Marie Lewis
Old October 24th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Go Fig

In article ,
Marie Lewis wrote:

In article , Go Fig
writes
As you well know, the Google archive has more than a few posts about
difficulties with service in France... specifically getting the bill in
a timely manner.

This may well be: fro Americans. Maybe we have a different attitude.
I saw some Americans who were having some difficulty accepting that the
food in France is

a. not necessarily the same as in the USA

and

b. often served in a different way.

They made quite a fuss about it.

When we go to the States we accept the American food and service and,
against our will, I must admit, the tipping. We smile and do not
grumble. Why could not the people I refer to above have done the same?

What are you talking about ?

If I ask for the bill... what does that have to do with the being served
in a different way. I want to leave, and I need the bill to leave.

Tipping or not, the wait staff is there to serve my requests.

jay
Fri, Oct 24, 2003

Old October 24th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Miguel Cruz

JamesStep wrote:
My experiences with waiters in France a few years ago were just the
opposite; we found the general level of service at restaurants to be below
what we're used to in the U.S.

Are you sure it wasn't just _different_ rather than worse?

For instance, they're less likely to hover around and come over all the time
asking if you want anything. To me that is worth a lot of money, as I
completely hate the way US waiters do that.

miguel
--
Gator is spyware!
Old October 24th, 2003, 08:03 PM
JamesStep

Are you sure it wasn't just _different_
rather than worse?...

The waiters I encountered just seemed bored and indifferent,
and most didn't smile or act particularly friendly, even though
I did my best to be friendly to them.

Perhaps it was a cultural difference, or maybe I just happened
to get some waiters who were bored.

No big deal; I still had a good time and the food was excellent.

Old October 24th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Miguel Cruz

JamesStep wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't just _different_ rather than worse?...

The waiters I encountered just seemed bored and indifferent,
and most didn't smile or act particularly friendly, even though
I did my best to be friendly to them.

I'd definitely put that in the cultural difference category. It seems a
uniquely American thing for waitstaff to pretend to want to be friends with
customers.

I find it really insincere and would rather they not bother.

miguel
--
Gator is spyware!
Old October 24th, 2003, 09:30 PM
Walt Tucker

On the other hand, it is always pleasant to be around people that appear
to be enjoying their job.