Summit to Alaska May 21st.

Old May 6th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Thomas Leinart Sr.

Default Summit to Alaska May 21st.

My wife and I are taking our frist cruise to Alaska the 21st. of this
month on Celebritys Summit. Leaving San Diego should be warm weather
but what about Alaska this time of year. Celebrity says bring a light
jacket but I would like to hear from some of you who have been there.
What about a rain coat, is that necessary? Also is the water very roughf
this time of year, my wife gets sea sick easily. Any help you all can
give us will be apperiated.

Thanks
Tom Leinart

Old May 7th, 2004, 08:22 AM
JLeary256

You need a wide range of clothing and YES you will need a lined jacket. As
well as an assortment of layers- sweatshirts, tshirts, turtlenecks, rain gear,
2 pair of walking shoes, knit hat and gloves. I never take jeans and instead
lined and unline wind pants- again the key is lightweight and quick drying. If
your wife is prone to seasickness- TAKE PRECAUTIONS. There is no guarantee on
the seas and Celebrity does outside passage sailing. It is a myth that it is
always "smooth as glass" and single trip reports of such are no guarantee. I
have sailed Alaska 10 times- 3 encountered rough sailing- one trip lasting 3
days. I've seen plenty of passengers grossly unprepared in their attire and
plenty of seasick passengers.
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:02 PM
L.Hachey

There are a couple of detailed reports on my site of Alaskan cruises that
may help you, if you'd like to read them. Here's the link:
http://www.mytripreport.com/search.p...ng&city=alaska

L. Hachey
www.MyTripReport.com

Old May 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM
J Carnaghie

Dear Tom,
Clothing for this trip is relatively easy. When you are
outside, the real trick is layers.
A good windproof / waterproof jacket large enough to handle
a heavier sweater underneath is extremely useful. I
personally prefer a shell type (unlined) so I can use it at
home as well (So Cal).
Windproof pants and a set of long johns if your legs get
cold. Jeans take too long to dry and are really cold when
wet. Wool or wool blend trousers are best.
Two pairs of comfortable - really comfortable - shoes for
outdoor activities.
Spare socks!
Some kind of a hat or hood.
The really good news is that the ships have heat and air
conditioning inside and big windows. If you're on a balcony
ask for some lap robes.
Expect rain and be happy when it does not. A separate rain
coat is nice, but really not needed if your jacket / pants
are water resistant. If it is chucking down, that is the
time for the hot cocoa and a big picture window.
The seas will be probably rough on your route North. Not as
rough as the North Atlantic but rough enough. Take
precautions before you sail. I have found that once green,
it is much harder to recover!! The ships will have
medications at the pursers desk or the medical center. See
other discussion threads regarding the various seasickness
medications.
Have a wonderful trip.
John