Spooky New England

Old October 6th, 2003, 08:06 PM
S. Hope

Default Spooky New England

Here is an interesting tidbit. Globe Pequot Press has published a
book called Spooky New England that has spooky folklore from a variety
of town's throughout New England, including Salem & Boston, MA, Cape
Cod, Henniker, NH, Meriden, CT, and many more. This is a fun read for
New England residents and would make a nice companion book for people
traveling in New England, especially now during foliage season. And
people running Bed and Breakfasts in New England towns (especially the
ones used in this book) should keep this on hand for their guests.

Here's a synopsis of the book:
Pull up a chair or gather round the campfire and get ready for 30
spooky stories of ghosts, eerie happenings, haunted places, and other
supernatural occurrences in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont,
Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. Set in New England's
historic towns, charming old islands, and sparsely populated
backwoods, the scary ghost stories in this entertaining and compelling
collection will have you looking over your shoulder again and again.

Supernatural Yankee folklore is kept alive in these expert retellings
by master storyteller S.E. Schlosser, and in artist Paul Hoffman's
evocative illustrations. You'll meet seaweed-covered phantom sailors
and a ghostly black dog, hear otherwordly voices and things that go
bump in the night, and feel an icy wind on the back of your neck on a
warm summer evening. Whether you read these scary ghost stories around
the campfire on a dark and stormy night, during a Halloween party, or
from the backseat of the family van on the way to grandma's, this is a
collection to treasure.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...62728728&itm=6
Old October 7th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Bert Amada

Default Spooky New England (S. Hope)

Just curious. Does the book include the tale of the gravestone of
Captain Buck of Bucksport, Maine?

B.A.

Old October 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM
S. Hope

There was no mention of the gravestone of Captain Buck in Spooky New
England. Maine stories included the Watcher of the Isle of Shoals
(Appledore), Old Trickey, Old Betty Booker (York), and The Man Who
Made Weather (Hallowell?). There may be more, but those are all the
ones I can remember. What is the story behind Captain Buck of
Bucksport? It sounds intriguing.

Old October 8th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Bert Amada

Captain Buck (the most prominent person in town) got his maid in a
family way and then turned her out. She had a son and as he grew, she
put pressure on Buck to assume responsibility for him.

To get rid of her, Buck put out the word that she was a witch. So the
town decided to burn her at the stake. As her body burned, one leg fell
from it. Her son, who was in the crowd, picked up the leg and ran away
with it.

When Buck finally died, he was given a large marble tombstone. Shortly
thereafter, a discoloration appeared in the stone...the image of a
woman's leg. To rid its self of the embarrassment, the town had the
stone thrown out at sea, but later found it washed ashore. So they
smashed it to pieces and ordered a new stone. It arrived and was
erected. Shortly after...the same leg image appeared in the new stone.

I'm sure that there must be a few versions of this tale, but this is the
way it was told to me by an old local.

If you visit Bucksport, Maine, you can view the grave site and stone,
and believe what you will.

B.A.

Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is
automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in
a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you when my
line is open to you.

Old October 8th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Bert Amada

Default Photos of Buck's gravestone (S. Hope)

www.bairnet.org/potw/halloween99/

http://www.coastlinememories.com/pen....on.stone.html

Old October 9th, 2003, 04:55 PM
S.E. Schlosser

Wow - what a great story. (Hope you don't mind if the author of Spooky
New England jumps into this string.) This is the first time I have
heard this particular folktale. It's a great one - and one I very well
may feature in the next New England folklore book I do. Thanks B.A.
Got any more folktales? And thanks to S. Hope for the nice words about
Spooky New England. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

S.E. Schlosser

Old October 9th, 2003, 05:00 PM
S. Hope

A spooky story indeed. It deserves a place in a folklore collection.
Thanks for the photos. They added the perfect touch to a creepy tale!

S.H.