Delta "expired" tickets

Old April 20th, 2004, 04:48 AM
jbt

Default Delta "expired" tickets

Help!

I was given $1200 in Delta voucher a few years ago but since I'm in
MSP I tend to fly Norhtwest. So with the advice of a ticket agent at
the airport, I converted my vouchers into two refundable tickets that
the agent said would be good for two years. I tried to exchange these
tickets for travel two weeks ago and was informed that the tickets are
expired and worthless. If I knew that the tickets expired sooner than
the two year time period given to me, I would have used it sooner. The
supervisor advised me to write to the Customer Care department via
Delta's website and I recieved the following response:

Thank you for contacting Delta Air Lines.

Discounted airfares have a number of restrictions which apply even in
the circumstances you outlined. The tickets are nonrefundable and
changes are only permitted by paying an administrative fee plus any
difference in fare. Additionally, airline tickets are not transferable
to another individual. While we regret any misunderstanding, your
request is not covered by our tariff and we cannot comply.

I realize this is a disappointment, and trust you will understand our
position.

Sincerely,

Lisa Jones Manager Customer Care

Am I out of luck or do I have other chanels. Thank you for your
thought.
Old April 20th, 2004, 05:21 AM
mtravelkay

jbt wrote:

[...]

You might want to write them back and ask them why none of the
information in their response appears to match your request.

Old April 20th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Traveller

"jbt" wrote in message
om...
Help!

I was given $1200 in Delta voucher a few years ago but since I'm in
MSP I tend to fly Norhtwest. So with the advice of a ticket agent at
the airport, I converted my vouchers into two refundable tickets that
the agent said would be good for two years. I tried to exchange these
tickets for travel two weeks ago and was informed that the tickets are
expired and worthless.

Somewhere on the tickets a box will show "valid until" or "not valid after".
This is the expiry date of your tickets. I don't know why the agent said 2
years as unrestricted tickets are usually valid for exactly one year. Once
that year is up, I know the ticket can't be used for travel but I'm not sure
if it can be refunded. Perhaps a travel agent can advise?

As for the response from Delta, as mrtravelkay has already said, they
obviously haven't read your letter, but this happens all the time. Call,
get the name of the head of customer care, and write again.