Need recommendations for in-depth snorkeling

Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:06 PM
Callen Molenda

Default Need recommendations for in-depth snorkeling

Hi all,

My parents are in their mid-60s and have been travelling to Tobago for
several years. My mother likes the "in-depth" snorkeling (i.e., she can
walk from her cottage into the water and snorkel, and never worry that
she's in over her head) and my father loves the birdwatching and other
island amenities. Sadly, my mother's health is not great and the
stopovers necessary to get to Tobago have been quite hard on her. Can
anyone recommend a place in the Caribbean that sounds similar? We've
done some great snorkeling in Belize but that involved a one-hour boat
trip to one of the cays, and my mother is not interested in that. My
parents have a mid-range budget, and prefer rustic to something like a
Sandals, a Beaches or the like. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Callen
Old February 23rd, 2004, 07:23 PM
Juliana L Holm

Callen Molenda wrote:
St. John, USVI. US National Park, great walk-in snorkelling from
several different places.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM
Robert \Doc\ Adelman, C.I.D.

"Callen Molenda" wrote My parents are in their
mid-60s and have been travelling to Tobago for
several years. My mother likes the "in-depth" snorkeling (i.e., she can
walk from her cottage into the water and snorkel, and never worry that
she's in over her head) and my father loves the birdwatching and other
island amenities. Sadly, my mother's health is not great and the
stopovers necessary to get to Tobago have been quite hard on her. Can
anyone recommend a place in the Caribbean that sounds similar? We've
done some great snorkeling in Belize but that involved a one-hour boat
trip to one of the cays, and my mother is not interested in that. My
parents have a mid-range budget, and prefer rustic

Nice description of what they need- as my many trips to Tobago were well
described by their needs, but I have endured the air travel- so I do
understand.

Try looking at http://www.seaforyourself.com for well planned
snorkeling/naturalist trips that fit that style.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Da Parrot-chick

Callen, this place in Anguilla has waist deep snorkeling just a few steps
from the porch. The lagoon is sheltered by a barrier reef about 50 yards
offshore. Great views and plenty of peace and quiet. We stay here each
time we visit Anguilla.

http://anguillavilla.com

Old February 24th, 2004, 12:25 AM
DDupin

I don't know what your departure city is, but BWIA has begun direct flights
from Toronto, New York, and Washington, DC, to Tobago. Would those flights work
for your parents?

We just returned from Tobago, taking the very lengthy American Airlines route
from Boston, which had us connecting in Miami, arriving late in Port of Spain,
overnighting there, and taking a Tobago express flight the next morning. If we
go back, I'm definitely checking into the BWIA flights.

Old February 24th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Jane

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
Callen Molenda wrote:
St. John, USVI. US National Park, great walk-in snorkelling from
several different places.

Julie

Absolutely Julie, Just got back from St Thomas and St Johns. Trunk bay also
has a great snorkeling trail with plaques under the water to read.

Jane

Old February 25th, 2004, 06:57 PM
Mark

Check out the opening page at www.coconutpalms.com. The roof shot shows the
reef that's 100' from shore and less than 6' deep on the inside..

Mark

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Rosalie B.

x-no-archive:yes

Ken Tough wrote:

My parents are in their mid-60s and have been travelling to Tobago for
several years. My mother likes the "in-depth" snorkeling (i.e., she can
walk from her cottage into the water and snorkel, and never worry that
she's in over her head) and my father loves the birdwatching and other
island amenities. Sadly, my mother's health is not great and the
stopovers necessary to get to Tobago have been quite hard on her. Can
anyone recommend a place in the Caribbean that sounds similar? We've
done some great snorkeling in Belize but that involved a one-hour boat
trip to one of the cays, and my mother is not interested in that. My
parents have a mid-range budget, and prefer rustic to something like a
Sandals, a Beaches or the like. Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks, Callen

Where are you travelling from?

By the way, I don't know if your mother has an inflatable
snorkelling vest, but it is an absolute necessity for her now.

HEY - what's this NOW business. I'm 66 and I'm still actively scuba
diving and snorkeling without a vest thank you very much in water over
my head.

For the OP's mom who doesn't swim well - she should have had a vest
all along. For those of us that swim well, a snorkeling vest isn't
something that we need by the 'mid 60s'. Now my mom who is 94 would
need something like that if she was snorkeling off a beach as she
doesn't have the balance in the water that she once had - due partly
to dowagers hump and probably partly to different fat distribution.
But she does water aerobics without one.

They aren't very expensive, and may well save her life if she
does get 'over her head'.

grandma Rosalie
Old February 26th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Callen Molenda

"Rosalie B." wrote:

x-no-archive:yes

Ken Tough wrote:

[...]

I should explain - my mother is an excellent swimmer but suffers from
vertigo and panic attacks if she gets too far over her head - similar to
claustrophobia. That's why she snorkels and my dad does the scuba and
caving trips.

I am intrigued about the vests, do they offer the ability to snorkel
with the security of not "getting over your head"?

Thanks much for everybody's imput.

Callen (in Virginia)