Lamu or Zanzibar

Old September 23rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
Wilson

Default Lamu or Zanzibar

I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
schedule?
Old September 24th, 2003, 02:15 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes
(Wilson) wrote:

I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
schedule?

I personally think that Lamu is always very good for a one or
two night trip between wildlife safaris.

Hans-Georg

Lamu is worth a visit but for me a day or two at most was sufficient.
There are flights from Mombasa and Malindi, which are about half an
hour`s duration.
I loved Zanzibar! In Stonetown there is so much history. The buildings
are wonderful plus there is a museum worth seeing. The hotels are good
too. There are beach resorts as well as Stonetown. You can find plenty
of information on the web.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old September 25th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Tashi

I would pick Malindi over Lamu. You can do alot in and around Malindi.
Zanzibar would be the number one though (haven't been there and it seems
more interesting) I have a friend (native Kenyan)in Mombasa, who says that
Lamu isn't very safe at the moment.

"Pat Anderson" wrote in message
In message , Hans-Georg
Michna writes

Old September 25th, 2003, 10:32 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Tashi" wrote:

I would pick Malindi over Lamu. You can do alot in and around Malindi.
Zanzibar would be the number one though (haven't been there and it seems
more interesting) I have a friend (native Kenyan)in Mombasa, who says that
Lamu isn't very safe at the moment.

Tashi,

I can't agree to either. I find Lamu much more interesting than
Malindi, and I can state that Lamu itself is safe, though the
road there may not always be.

I flew there in June when the roads were unpassable anyway.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old September 25th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Pat Anderson

In message , Wilson
writes
I'm in two minds whether to go Zanzibar or Lamu. Which one is better?
Also, any flight between Mombasa and Lamu? If yes, what about time
schedule?

Lamu is a "different" part of the Kenya coast. It is as if time had
stood still. I must admit to it not being my favourite place. When we
landed on Manda by air, I then found there was no proper jetty. I was
terrified scrambling over rocks and then having to go both up and down
steep stone steps ! I spent my time there being scared about the
return trip!
Hans Georg, do you know if any improvements have been made? I know I
sound like a wimp but it was scary.
Also, the donkey droppings everywhere were not too pleasant. Shela
is probably the best place to go.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson