Do I need a Kenyan Visa

Old April 13th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Dave B

Default Do I need a Kenyan Visa

My wife and I will be travelling with KLM to Tanzania in June. However,
this involves a stop off in Nairobi.

Will we require a Kenyan visa as well as a Tanzanian visa?

Thanks for your help

Dave B

Old April 13th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Dave B

Thanks Johan. Thats what I thought, but I thought it was best to check.

Cheers

Dave

Johan W. Elzenga wrote:

Dave B wrote:

My wife and I will be travelling with KLM to Tanzania in June. However,
this involves a stop off in Nairobi.

Will we require a Kenyan visa as well as a Tanzanian visa?

Not if you stay on board or only go into the airport terminal to get a
connecting flight.

Old April 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Gross50

Originally posted by Dave B
My wife and I will be

travelling with KLM to Tanzania in June. However,
this involves a

stop off in Nairobi.

Will we require a Kenyan visa as well as a

Tanzanian visa?

Thanks for your help

Dave B

as long
as you dont get off the plane. you can get transit visa at the airport.
20 bucks.

check out www.kenyaembassy.com in US

or
http://www.kenyahighcommission.com for UK

--
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed. - 2 Corinthians 4:8, 9

Old April 17th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Peter Gower

Why would you need a transit visa if you already have a Tanzania visitor
visa? (Though this may depend on the nationality of your passport). For
many, a Uganda, Kenya or Tanzania visitor visa will allow entry to the other
two countries.

Old April 18th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Dave Patterson

If your KLM flight only stops and then continues,
you can disembark and roam around the duty free
shops with no visa.

But if you have to exit the terminal and either fly
to Tanzania from the smaller airport (Wilson)
or drive to Tanzania, then you are entering Kenya
and obviously need a visa to be there.

Old April 18th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Liz

In message
"Peter Gower" wrote:

Why would you need a transit visa if you already have a Tanzania visitor
visa?

The OP was only asking!
Some countries need a transit visa, usually cheaper than a visitor's visa.

Certainly I've always needed separate visas for Kenya and Tanzania (UK
Passport); in the years that visas have been needed (this varies)

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia
Old April 19th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Peter Gower

Most interesting answer from you Liz, because I respect the advice you have
given over the years. We certainly entered Tanzania on a UK and Canadian
passport without any Tanzanian documents, but with a Kenya visitor's visa.
You have to ask, or they will sell you anything! It was only after a long
talk in the Tanzanian consulate in Mombasa that they admitted that a
Tanzanian visa (which I needed because I was a Kenyan resident) was good for
multiple entries over a three month period. Until then I had dutifully
bought a new one for each entry.
I would suggest to prospective travellers that you ask several times before
you pay out for a visa. And if you plan on buying one when you land, make
sure you have the correct amount because nobody will be able to give you
change!!

Old April 19th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Liz

In message
"Peter Gower" wrote:

Most interesting answer from you Liz, because I respect the advice you have
given over the years. We certainly entered Tanzania on a UK and Canadian
passport without any Tanzanian documents, but with a Kenya visitor's visa.
You have to ask, or they will sell you anything!

Oh yes!
Once we dutifully bought visas then, between getting them and going the need
for a visa was revoked, which was annoying, but that was only short lived.

I'm trying to remember where we needed a transit visa once (quite a few
years back). I *thought* it was Kenya, but the chance of me being able to find
out for sure is slim.

Liz