First-time vistor to SA: independent or package tour?

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Dave Patterson

Default First-time vistor to SA: independent or package tour?

Jim wrote:

I'm somewhat confused
about the kind of safari experience we might get (or not) at a Western Cape
lodge, as compared with one in the Waterberg. Several of the cape area
reserves indicate they have drives to view the big 5 and other game.

This is a touchy subject - because the operators of the safari properties
in the Western Cape are working very hard to develop quality
destinations. But I don't think they are there yet - and we are also
talking about a drier environment, quite different from the bush
landscape where most safari camps are found in other areas of
South Africa. And I can think of one where the Big 5 viewing is
essentially the same as you might have at a 'safari' park in
Florida or California. I know of no safari camp in the Western Cape that
I could recommend for someone traveling to South Africa for
what might be a once-in-a-lifetime safari experience. I wish I did.

One of the posters mentioned the Eastern Cape for safaris, and there
are a couple of good places there - but reaching them by car is not
feasible from Cape Town. Just too much travel time.

As to timing, would a June trip make sense, or is September our best bet in
the
next six months?

I've had clients there in June - and it was clear and cold in the
Cape. And windy. I spent all of last September in the Western Cape
(and will again this year) and it was certainly cold and windy then
as well, but unseasonably so. Practically speaking, I would think
September would be the better choice.

Old May 13th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Marc Lurie

On Wed, 12 May 2004 10:16:30 -0700, Dave Patterson
wrote:

SNIP
I notice that you are considering this trip "in the
next 6 months".. be very clever in your timing, because
it will soon be winter in South Africa, with periods of
very cold weather in some areas - even snow in
Johannesburg!

Hi,

I don't mean to be pedantic and split hairs, but the last time there
was anything that resemled actual snow in Johannesburg was on 10
September 1981 when we had a snowfall that lasted for 3 hours. The
previous time was between 19 and 21 June 1964 which I believe is the
heaviest snowfall on record in Johannesburg.

It's certainly bitterly cold and dry in Johannesburg between June and
September, but it's usuually too dry for snow.

Perhaps this year we'll be lucky...

September 1 is officially the days the municipal swimming pools open,
so I guess that's the official first day of Spring. :-)

As far as touring the country, September makes much more sense than
June or July.

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Captain K

Maurice ON4BAM wrote in message . ..
On Wed, 12 May 2004 13:47:12 +0000, Maurice ON4BAM
wrote:

I have a travelogue of our trip(s) on my website (see sig).

I just noticed the sig was not attached :-( it is now... :-)

Bye Maurice

You can check out http://www.penguin.co.za for bookings for the Cape
Twon region of a bnch of activities as well
Old May 25th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Maurice ON4BAM

wrote:

I have a travelogue of our trip(s) on my website (see sig).

I just noticed the sig was not attached :-( it is now... :-)

Bye Maurice

You can check out
http://www.penguin.co.za for bookings for the Cape
Twon region of a bnch of activities as well

You replied to the wrong poster... I'm not coming to SA this year :-)

Bye Maurice
--
Hamradio: ON4BAM / M0CIL / 9H3Z http://www.qsl.net/on4bam
Travelstories from Alaska, Scotland, South Africa,Iceland,