South Africa AVIS deal..

Old September 11th, 2005, 10:01 PM
Dave Patterson

Default South Africa AVIS deal..

I just went online to get a car for one day to get
from Cape Town to my house beyond Hermanus.
Always easier and less expensive than using the
shuttle for the 2 hour trip.

Avis always has special deals for foreign visitors,
but there's one now that's the best I have had.
The deals are found at this web page:
http://www.avis.co.za/main.asp?ID=943

Only the lower priced cars are featured, but what
a deal. I got the little VW Chico with all taxes & fees,
90% insurance coverage (too complicated to explain
here, but it is normal and quite sufficient),
unlimited mileage - for R174 - about $28.

Longer rentals are less.
No, I don't have shares of Avis. Just an extraordinary
interest in saving money. Which isn't always easy
when renting a car.

Old September 15th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Corné

No, I don't have shares of Avis.

Maybe an account then? So you get discount?

Old September 15th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Dave Patterson

"Corné" wrote:

No, I don't have shares of Avis.

Maybe an account then? So you get discount?

No.. this is not a travel industry rate.
Avisco.za always has special rates offered to foreign
visitors at the web page I mentioned. This deal just happened
to be the best one I have seen.

Old September 15th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Dave Patterson

Dave Patterson wrote:

Avisco.za always has special rates

Should have been Avis.co.za

Old September 17th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Corné

"Dave Patterson" schreef in bericht
"Corné" wrote:

No, I don't have shares of Avis.

Maybe an account then? So you get discount?

No.. this is not a travel industry rate.
Avisco.za always has special rates offered to foreign
visitors at the web page I mentioned. This deal just happened
to be the best one I have seen.

Thanks for your contribution! Next time I'll advise my guests to book with
Avis.

Keep well.

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old September 18th, 2005, 07:57 AM
riverman

Just be careful about those VW Chicos. Like the CitiGolf, they are
regularly targeted by thieves for breaking into. I had one smashed into
in CT and the radio was taken. Avis replaced it (for a fee) and the
next night, the second one was broken into, the radio taken again. Avis
replaced it again (for another fee) and this time I opted for no radio.
The third night, nothing happened. But it was broken into on the FOURTH
night, and they didn't take anything. Eventually, I convinced Avis
that I had paid enough damages to warrant them upgrading me to a better
car that was more break-in proof.

Theives can break into Chicos by just getting their fingers in behind
the top of the door and pulling it out until the latch pops loose or
the window breaks. If you are spending even one night in CT, I would
not recommend going for the cheapest car offerred by Avis. You get what
you pay for.

--riverman

Old September 19th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Marc Lurie

My girlfriend and I regularly hire cars in Cape Town, usually a
Citigolf or similar. In 6 years of doing business periodically in Cape
Town, neither of us has ever had a break-in or burglary.

I guess this all depends on where you are leaving the car. I wouldn't
hesitate to hire a Citigolf, as I will always park it either at my
hotel, or where there are parking guards.

I would never think to park a car in any city in South Africa where
there is no parking guard. When you park the car, you must find the
guard, ask him his name, and then give him a small tip when you get
back to the car. R2 to R5 is adequate. I haven't had any car broken
into in the past 8 years.

Marc

SNIP

Old September 20th, 2005, 01:51 PM
riverman

When I'm in CT, I stay with some friends in Bantry Bay. Their two cars
take up the garage, so the rental car goes on the street right in front
of the house, where it can be seen clearly from the front window. No
guard, unfortunatley, and the vandals/burglars strike when we are
asleep.

After the first two robberies, I met with the Bantry Bay Chief of
Police and said it seemed like an easy nab to watch the car the third
night and bust whoever did it. He sympathised, but said that there was
little he could do, because in the big scheme of things a broken-into
rental car was nothing compared to the murders and things he dealt with
daily. He suggested that I leave a package in the passenger's seat,
hide in the bushes with a baseball bat, and once I 'defended myself'
against the burgler, call him and his boys would cart him off.

Justice, SA style. I didn't do it, of course.

--riverman

Old October 4th, 2005, 09:55 AM
Marc Lurie

On 20 Sep 2005 05:51:46 -0700, "riverman" wrote:

SNIP He suggested that I leave a package in the passenger's seat,
hide in the bushes with a baseball bat, and once I 'defended myself'
against the burgler, call him and his boys would cart him off.

Justice, SA style. I didn't do it, of course.

--riverman

No, that's "Policeing, SA style" That policemen should have his badge
removed, and be sacked. He's a disgrace to the uniform and nothing but
a trumped-up civil servant with the mentallity of a gnat.

My experience with the SA Police Services generally show that there
are areas where the police seem powerless to do anything about the
crime, and those areas where they are successful. The difference is
not resources, not workloads, not financial... The difference is
LEADERSHIP. In areas where the OC is a true leader, the police will
find the resources and money, and the workloads will drop.

Anyway, this is OT, and a bit of a rave from me, so I'll retreat back
into my corner... :-)

Marc