Second question from newbie: ATM usage in South Africa

Old November 28th, 2005, 03:07 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Second question from newbie: ATM usage in South Africa

On 28 Nov 2005 06:27:24 -0800, "riverman" wrote:

"What does BOB stand for?"

It stands for "Barclays Omni Bank", the original name dating back to
the early '80's.

Almost all ATM's are owned by specific banks (Standard Bank, ABSA
Bank, Nedbank, Bank of Lisbon etc), and there are agreements between
banks to allow other banks cards to be used, but at a small charge.

Some filling stations have bank branded ATM's while others have
non-bank owned ATM's. These tend to carry higher charges.

Personally, I wouldn't use the ATM's at Johannesburg International
Airport. It is well known that bad guys hang out at the airport, and
it can be a bit of a risk. If you absolutely have to get some money,
be very aware of other people standing too close, or trying to card
swap etc.

Regards,
Marc
Old November 28th, 2005, 05:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Marc Lurie wrote:

Almost all ATM's are owned by specific banks (Standard Bank, ABSA
Bank, Nedbank, Bank of Lisbon etc), and there are agreements between

^^^ Reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally???
There's honestly a bank called Nedbank???!!!

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old November 29th, 2005, 10:25 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Sure there's a bank called Nedbank. It was originally a Netherlands
based banking group (Nederland), hence Nedbank. AFAIK it's the third
largest commercial bank in South Africa. Their internet based banking
system is called Netbank. They are closely allied to American Express.

The largest group is Standard Bank, the second largest is ABSA (Which
is an acronym for Amalgamated Banks of South Africa, after they
swallowed up Trust Bank, Volkskas Bank, Permanent Bank (a bit of an
inapropriate name it turns out :-0 ), Allied Bank, and United Bank.)

I've never thought of Nedbank as a funny name, but I've had a laugh at
Chase Manhattan. Chase Manhattan...where to?

Marc

Old November 29th, 2005, 04:23 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

In message
Marc Lurie wrote:

I've never thought of Nedbank as a funny name,

a 'ned' hereabouts are a subspecies of 'yob'.
Or maybe it's vice-versa.
I've heard it stands for 'non-educated delinquent', but that doesn't
seem to be certain.

but I've had a laugh at Chase Manhattan. Chase Manhattan...where to?

:-)

Slainte

Liz

Old November 30th, 2005, 12:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

but I've had a laugh at Chase Manhattan. Chase Manhattan...where to?

Brits always get a kick out of the American whiskey "Knob Creek".

Old November 30th, 2005, 07:00 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

wrote:
but I've had a laugh at Chase Manhattan. Chase Manhattan...where to?

Brits always get a kick out of the American whiskey "Knob Creek".

And I've always wondered who would want to drive a vehicle called a
"Dodge, ram!"

--riverman