Tanzania safari advice

Old December 8th, 2003, 11:44 PM
Eric Edwards

Default Tanzania safari advice

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 22:47:21 GMT, Liz wrote:
In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

I did a quick search of possible camping programs
and this one http://www.biztravel.com/TRAVEL/SIT/sit_pages/5642.html
still works out more costly than the figures you have.

Yes, I looked at two brochures I have here, and the camping was more
expensive, which is why I didn't post. But these ones were supported
camping: although the tents were small pop-up type, the camp staff do all
the chores. I think you can also do participatory safaris where you have to
cook, wash up, pitch and strike the tents, and surely that will be cheaper,
but I don't have any info.

As far as I know, the only "safaris" where cooking and cleaning are part
of the deal are overland tours. Budget camping safari's in Kenya and
Tanzania generally include a driver/guide and a cook.

I used Gametrackers in Keyna and Safari Makers in Tanzania.

Gametrackers, like many camping safari operators have their own
permanent camps in Masai Mara. The "tent" is already up. Outside Masai
Mara, tourists are expected to put up their own tents, though the staff
will help if you need it.

Safari Makers uses somewhat larger tents and the staff puts them up.

The 6 day Safari I did in Masai Mara/Lake Baringo/Lake Bagoria costs
about US$72/day. There were 5 people on the first leg and 2 more joined
for the Masai Mara portion.

The 6 day Safari I did with Safari Makers to the Serengeti, Lake
Manyara, Terangire, and Ngorongoro. Cost was $85/day/person for 4
people.

The Kenya safari was early January, 2002. Tazania was last late
January/early February, also in 2002. I booked in Nairobi/Arusha.
Booking from overseas will probably cost a bit more.

--
Use the From: header. Sending mail to
or
Old December 8th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Eric Edwards

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:10:07 +0900, Liz wrote:
I have never been anywhere near Africa so have no idea what it is like, and
apologize for my ignorance. Based on treks in other developing countries,
and the fact that a safari in India costs about $40 a day, plus say another
$25 for accommodation (pp), I had thought the $175 for Tanzania unreasonably
high.

As mentioned previously, a reputable safari can be had for significantly
less, but not peanuts. The cheapest Safari's are in South Africa. I'm
not sure what the exchange rate has done but in 2001, you could do
Kruger Park for under $40/day. However, Kruger is not the Serengeti.

Time of year will significantly affect the cost and quality of your
safari.

I think it is obvious that the wildlife will be better in Tanzania. It is
my dream to watch giraffes on the Serengeti so I had planned to go anyway.

On the other hand, the Masai Mara really is the Serengeti. It's not
part of Serengeti National Park, but that's just a political
distinction. The animals don't recognize the border and freely migrate
between the two parks.

Old December 9th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Liz

"Eric Edwards" wrote:
On the other hand, the Masai Mara really is the Serengeti. It's not
part of Serengeti National Park, but that's just a political
distinction. The animals don't recognize the border and freely migrate
between the two parks.

True - but I don't want to travel in via Nairobi (based on my reading, I'm
just not comfortable with the crime rate) ... and my RTW ticket will be with
Star Alliance, which apparently only flies into Kilimanjaro. I realize I
could just cross into Kenya from Tanzania, but government warnings are much
stronger right now for Kenya than for Tanzania

You mentioned just booking in Arusha - would you recommend this? Even if I
ended up going in high season? Trying not to, but the timing might not work
out. How can I be sure that I am dealing with a reputable company?

Thanks,
Liz

Old December 9th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Eric Edwards

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 11:22:00 +0900, Liz wrote:

"Eric Edwards" wrote:
You mentioned just booking in Arusha - would you recommend this? Even if I
ended up going in high season? Trying not to, but the timing might not work
out. How can I be sure that I am dealing with a reputable company?

There is an office in Arusha that is supposed to let you find a good
company. It helps you steer clear of a few well known bad apples.
Otherwise, your resources are the same as he guide books, web sites,
usenet. It is probably easiest to research safari companies before you
go. When you are in Arusha, visit only the companies you have already
cleared. You will still save money over booking the same companies from
overseas.

You will need some flexibility to make this work. If you arrive on
Tuesday and expect to get our dream safari leaving the next day, you
will almost certainly be disappointed.

Booking locally probably works best when the safari trade is moderate.
Very high season means there may not be room. Very low season means you
may have trouble finding a group to join. (Another factor in saving
money if you are only 1 or 2 people)

Old December 9th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

Dave Patterson wrote:

People sometime ask about doing the trips in vehicles
they rent themselves. This is just plain naive. Getting
lost is guaranteed. Plus, facing the stress of trying
NOT to get lost is the worst way to travel in Africa.

Dave,

until the invention of GPS, of course. I agree that it is not a
good idea to drive through Africa without a GPS receiver.

Hans-Georg

http://www.michna.com/gps.htm

--
No mail, please.
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:20 PM
mds

I just got back not too long ago from Tanzania where i did Kilimanjaro and
then a 10 day Safari. Your are right that it is much more mexpensive then
most people think. I payed 150/day, but was filming, and cut some good
deals. You can expect to pay that for a cheaper safari.

I thought things were overprice, but understood that there is no middle
price when it comes to safaris, hotels are all aimed at people with money.

I went with a company called Green Footprint Adventures and they were great,
but it is easy to see why they cost what they do. Aside from the $70,000
land rover, you add park fees, business permits, and annual fees they have
to pay to the parks, profit margin are slim. The roads are a key factor
too, and you should avoid minibuses if possible. We got 3 flats in 10 days,
and had to get the suspension fix once during the trip.

The roads are getting better, as there is almost a road from Arusha to
Ngorogoro built by Japan. But the rest of the way they were poor.

Carefully look at what season you are going, as this can add to you trip. I
was there in October, and was lucky to catch part of the migration in the
Serengeti. It was amazing. Find out what time of year is best for where you
want to go. Ngorogoro was a lot like disneyland, and has that feel to it.
Spend only a day there.

I think you can go off-road in kenya, something that is not possible in
Tanzania. It varries in Uganda.

I have been to Uganda before and thought it was great.....that is till I
went to the serengeti, and boy was it different. Here is some of my photos
www.digitalcrossing.ca/africa.htm

The companies website that i went with is www.tanactive.com , but i must add
that I am biased about these guys cause they helped me out. They are great,
and fun to be with. I am not too sure how far 170/day will go with them. I
also did the website after coming back too because I liked them so much.

Good luck,

Michael

Old December 18th, 2003, 03:40 PM
Gary Balfour

"Liz" wrote in message ...
Just checked out safaris in Tanzania and quite frankly am shocked at the
price gouging! $175 for double occupancy for mid-range accomodation??? (On
safari not elsewhere). Am I missing something? It is cheaper in Japan!
Is there any way to get this price down? Would there be any benefit to
staying in a lodge in Serengeti rather than doing the whole safari? Anyway
to get this cost down? We will be doing a world tour and want to make the
money last as long as possible.
Thanks!

Liz,

First, $175.00 for double occupancy probably includes meals.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner at, say $30.00 per person meals you are at
$105.00 for a double room. This is with all taxes and of course a 10%
concession fee to the national parks.

Now, let's look at the costs of such a lodge. First, imagine what it
takes to build a lodge in an area filled with wild animals. You are
not running down to Home Depot every time you run short of nails.

Once built, you have to supply water and electricity in the bush.
This means bore holes that pass strict environmental impact studies.
Generators running with a large consumption of fuel - all that has to
be trucked to the lodge.

Then the consumables that have to be brought in by truck to feed the
guests of the hotel. And the staff. Keep in mind that the staff
cannot go home at night like they do in Japan. So there has to be
space provided for accommodation and three staff meals a day. More
food. And an average lodge takes more than 100 staff members to run.
So if you have 20 guests, you are still feeding 120 people.

The other aspect of the high cost of tourism products in Tanzania is
that the government has identified tourism as a large tax potential
and also has set forth a tourism plan that avoids cheap mass tourism
and goes more for the higher end tourist. By design, fees and taxes
are high to keep their product a premium destination and protect the
environment.

You will not save money by going to the lodge and sitting there.
First, you have to get to the lodge. And then, you will want to go on
game drives. If you fly in, you will still need the lodge to take
care of the wildlife viewing.

You are better off dealing with a reputable tour company. We have
contract rates with the lodges and when packaged with transport and
park fees, can often offer a very competitive package compared to what
people trying to do it on their own will pay when paying the hotel
rack rates and sorting out their own transport.

Best regards,
Gary

www.safari.cc - Your Friend in Africa