Anyone know any Nigerian curses?

Old March 18th, 2008, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Default Anyone know any Nigerian curses?

I know this is a strange request, but is there anyone on this NG who
speaks Ibo or Yoruba?

I am looking for a useful curse in Ibo or Yoruba that I can attach as
a signature to my e-mails when I respond to attempted frauds
perpetrated by Nigerians.

I get so many attempted frauds (not just 419 scams) from Nigeria that
it has become quite difficult for me to determine whether a client is
being honest or is trying to scam me.

I think that attaching a curse at the end of my e-mail to them
(Something like: "I curse anyone who steals from me, and condemn them
to a lingering death by drowning") might deter some from continuing
the deception.

Many Nigerians are very superstisious, so a curse that plays on local
myths or fears would be best. I want it to be quite generic, and not
accusatory, so that honest clients will not be offended.

Once again, I know it's a strange request, but any help will be
greatly appreciated.

TIA

Marc
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Marc Lurie
writes
[...]

Marc,
I am a member of an egroup on Yahoo called Mwananchi, there are some
Nigerian members, I`m not sure who is Ibo or Yoruba but I can see what
I can do. Apart from my years in Kenya I did live in Nigeria for five
years but don`t speak any languages from there.
Pat.

--
Pat Anderson
Old March 19th, 2008, 06:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Thanks Pat,

Another scammer tried today. He's a Nigerian pretending to be an
American businesman called Lou Wilson from Chicago, but he has a
yahoo.com address, and a telephone number in Dallas (that is out of
order) :-)

How these idiots think they'll get away with it is beyond me. ;-)

Marc

Old March 19th, 2008, 08:34 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Marc Lurie
writes

wrote:

Marc,
I am a member of an egroup on Yahoo called Mwananchi, there are some
Nigerian members, I`m not sure who is Ibo or Yoruba but I can see what
I can do. Apart from my years in Kenya I did live in Nigeria for five
years but don`t speak any languages from there.
Pat.

Marc,
Here the advice is to ignore all Nigerian scams whether they appear
genuine or not.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old March 19th, 2008, 04:05 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Tashi

why don't you just block them? they are every where.. they get mailing
lists too.. so the more you sign up to things on the web the more chance
they have to get your email address.. I wouldn't give them the time of
day..And, I think those that do perpetrate these scams are educated enough
not to fall for a curse..

--
"Don't tell me how educated you are,
tell me how much you have traveled."

Old March 20th, 2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Marc Lurie
writes
[...]

It seems the Nigerians on my Yahoo group think it best to ignore all
these "scammers" whether or not they seem genuine! A curse they say
wouldn`t be a good idea.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old March 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 15:10:29 +0000, Pat Anderson
wrote:

Marc

Marc,
It seems the Nigerians on my Yahoo group think it best to ignore all
these "scammers" whether or not they seem genuine! A curse they say
wouldn`t be a good idea.
Pat.

It wouldn't be a goiod idea because they believe in the curse?

By and large I have learned which scammers are obviously just a scam.
The typical "let me give you $8 billion for simply giving me your bank
account details" type of scam gets blocked immediately.

However, I am in the business of doing business in Africa, and I have
had three deals in Nigeria that at first I thought might be scams, and
if I'd blocked them at that stage, I would have lost a lot of money.

This latest scam appeared perfectly genuine (apart from the telltale
yahoo address etc.) and I would not have been doing my company and my
partners any justice by not following up on the sales lead.

As for scammers being too intelligent to believe in curses, you don't
know West Africans the way I do. :-)

Marc
Old March 25th, 2008, 08:13 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Marc Lurie
writes
wrote:

[...]

I`m just passing on the message to you that was given to me by the
Nigerians I asked on your behalf! I`m sure that you can tell which
are the genuine ones if you are doing business with them, the
"scammers," in my experience are easy to spot.
As for me not knowing West Africans like you do, I did live in Port
Harcourt for three years and Sokoto for two years! How is that for
knowing the Nigerians? Five years is a long time to be in Nigeria I can
tell you, when we went from Nigeria to Kenya it was a different story
altogether!
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson
Old March 25th, 2008, 12:36 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Hi Pat,

I apologise if there was a misunderstanding. I didn't mean that YOU
didn't know west Africans. I was referring to Tashi's post where Tashi
said something to the effect that scammers were too educated to
believe in curses.

I have the utmost respect for your posts on this NG, and would never
presume to underestimate your knowledge and experience.

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Pat Anderson

In message , Marc Lurie
writes

wrote:

I`m just passing on the message to you that was given to me by the
Nigerians I asked on your behalf! I`m sure that you can tell which
are the genuine ones if you are doing business with them, the
"scammers," in my experience are easy to spot.
As for me not knowing West Africans like you do, I did live in Port
Harcourt for three years and Sokoto for two years! How is that for
knowing the Nigerians? Five years is a long time to be in Nigeria I can
tell you, when we went from Nigeria to Kenya it was a different story
altogether!
Pat.

Marc,
no problem, if I ever come South I know who to come to for advice.
Pat.
--
Pat Anderson