2 tourists raped and beaten on Phuket

Old October 10th, 2009, 04:25 PM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia
none[_1_]

Default 2 tourists raped and beaten on Phuket

Two Phuket Attacks: Expat Raped, One Escapes

By Alan Morison
Friday, October 9, 2009
Phuketwan Updating Report

ONE expat woman has been raped and a second expat woman bashed in a
sex attack while she was out jogging around the tranquil tourist area
at Cape Promthep and Nai Harn lake.

The attacks took place within 24 hours of each other but what's
unclear at present is whether different attackers were involved or
whether one rapist is now on the loose on Phuket.
Share

A woman from Europe was attacked and raped in her own home at Nai Harn
around 7am on Saturday, as she returned from using her outdoor shower
facility.

The previous day around 8am, an American woman out jogging was
attacked by a man armed with a screwdriver.

Learning of the rape through a mutual friend, the American met up with
the European woman to compare descriptions of the attacker in both
cases.

''We don't know if it's the same guy,'' said the American woman. The
European woman has since left the island on a short trip, but is
expected to return.

The American woman, aged in her late 30s, has given her account of the
first attack to Phuketwan. She prefers to remain anonymous.

She says she was punched and dragged into a ditch where the man
produced a cutter and held it to her throat. However, she managed to
eventually attract the attention of a man out walking, and escaped.

Recovering the next day from bruises to her badly swollen face, she
was alarmed to hear about the second attack in Nai Harn within 24
hours.

''I run all the time at Nai Harn and usually head up the hill towards
the cape,'' she said. ''On Friday morning this guy on a motorcycle
stopped as I was jogging and said 'Hello.' I kept on jogging.

'''Do you need a ride?''' he asked. I said, 'No. I'm exercising.' Do
you have a boyfriend? he asked. 'Yes, I do' I said.

''He went on ahead up the hill, parked the motorcycle, and then walked
back down towards me. I noticed he'd undone his belt and had a
screwdriver in his hand.''

She grabbed the screwdriver and they wrestled, she said, with the man
punching her several times.

''He pulled me and knocked me down into the ditch. Then he jumped on
top. He had me in a headlock and held me down and held a cutter to my
neck.

''At the same time he was trying to pull his pants down and grabbing
at my shorts. I was trying to stay alert and I hoped someone would
come along, so I kept one leg up over the edge of the ditch.

''The I noticed him looking up so I just started screaming at the top
of my lungs. I was able to push him to one side enough to see a
motorcycle coming, and a man walking as well.''

The man on the motorcycle slowed to see what was happening but did not
stop. The man who was walking also appeared reluctant at first to
stop, although she called out ''Help me! Help me!''

''Somehow I finally got away,'' she said. ''I ran down to the other
guy.''

Spurred into action, he joined her in jogging down the hill to where
they were met by a Swiss man and a Thai woman who had heard the
commotion.

''By that time I was pretty much out of it,'' she said. ''The four of
us went on down to the benches by the lake.''

Soon after, uniformed and plain-clothes police officers joined them at
a nearby resort where she gave her account in detail.

The police were obliging and concerned for her welfare, she said.

Just over a year ago, she said, while out riding a motorcycle, she was
a victim of purse-snatchers in Nai Harn. The snatchers did not get
away with her bag but did inflict head injuries, and she has some
hearing loss.

''I don't blame it on Thailand,'' she said. ''These things happen all
over the world. I've just had a lot of bad luck.''

Her family in the US is keen for her to return there now after four
years in Thailand.

''I probably will leave,'' she said. ''It gives me an element of fear
that I didn't have before.''

A friend sent her a text message about the rape the next day, without
knowing that she'd already been a victim of an attack.

As a result, she met the European woman who was, she said, about 50
and just getting ready to leave on a business trip.

''Her shower is not attached to her room and she left it unlocked, so
when she returned to her room, the man was waiting.''

The rape victim seemed in ''remarkably good spirits,'' the American
woman said. It seemed like ''a new thing'' for the man in the second
attack, the American woman was told.

Her boyfriend insisted that she go to the police to report the attack,
and she is glad now that she did. She has ceased her regular morning
jogs around Nai Harn and is now using a treadmill in a fitness centre.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM posted to soc.culture.thai,rec.travel.asia
Runge17

SO WHAT ?