Strike in SA affecting tourism?

Old June 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Default Strike in SA affecting tourism?

Is the general strike in the public sector in South Africa affecting
tourism at the moment?

I am thinking about customs officials at airports, air traffic control,
baggage handling, etc? Anything involving air traffic and airports? What
about staff of SANP (are they still in government service)?

Regards,
Hans

Old June 4th, 2007, 07:57 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

As far as I can tell, the strike will have little effect on tourists.
A colleague flew into SA on Friday, and there was no problem with
immigration officials.

Baggage handlers and all other airport staff are privately employed so
there's no problem there.

I'm afraid I don't know about SANP employees. I'll try to find out.

The staff at hospitals have joined the strike, but these are only at
the government hospitals where you wouldn't want to visit anyway.
Private hospitals are operating normally.

Personally, I haven't felt the slightest impact of the strike, except
that I have noticed that there's a lot less traffic.

Marc

Old June 4th, 2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Marc Lurie schreef:
As far as I can tell, the strike will have little effect on tourists.
A colleague flew into SA on Friday, and there was no problem with
immigration officials.
Baggage handlers and all other airport staff are privately employed so
there's no problem there.

Thanks. I was afraid that air traffic controllers etc might also be
joining in. Of course would mean that they shoot themselves in the foot
by doing so, but not all such actions are based on ratio.

I'm afraid I don't know about SANP employees. I'll try to find out.

Don't know if they are still officially government, but they seem to be
more caring for tourists.

The staff at hospitals have joined the strike, but these are only at
the government hospitals where you wouldn't want to visit anyway.

:-)

Private hospitals are operating normally.
Personally, I haven't felt the slightest impact of the strike, except
that I have noticed that there's a lot less traffic.

That is indeed not a problem. As long as staff at tollroads are not
joining in.

Again thanks for the info. Still have a alittle time, before flying
south....

Regards,
Hans

Old June 5th, 2007, 11:12 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

I'VE JUST TAKEN THIS FROM RADIO 702 WEBSITE

"Immigration staff cause delays at OR Tambo 05/06/2007 08:45:09

OR Tambo International Airport is experiencing slight delays this
morning as some immigration staff did not arrive for work.

This forms part of the massive nationwide strike currently underway.

Most government departments, including schools and hospitals have been
severely disrupted.

This morning some flights have been affected and queues were
apparently moving very slowly.

But the Airports Company South Africa, Acsa, says contingency plans by
the Home Affairs Department have already kicked in.

Acsa's Solomon Mokgale says they were merely caught off-guard this
morning. "

Old June 5th, 2007, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Marc Lurie schreef:
I'VE JUST TAKEN THIS FROM RADIO 702 WEBSITE
"Immigration staff cause delays at OR Tambo 05/06/2007 08:45:09
OR Tambo International Airport is experiencing slight delays this
morning as some immigration staff did not arrive for work.
But the Airports Company South Africa, Acsa, says contingency plans by
the Home Affairs Department have already kicked in.

Thanks Marc. I found this statement and was a bit afraid:

"Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) Western Cape secretary
Tony Ehrenreich warned foreign travellers wanting to visit SA to
reconsider their plans as no immigration and customs personnel would be
on duty. This was expected to cause chaos at the two main international
airports, OR Tambo in Johannesburg and Cape Town International Airport."

Hope things settle down a bit in the next few weeks. If they cause too
much damage to the South African image in the rest of the world, it will
hurt them hart as many people depend upon tourism and South Africa needs
to prove it can host the soccer worldchampionship. But still, it always
surprises me how little idea the average South African in the street has
about how their country is perceived outside of their direct neighbours...

Regards,
Hans
Old June 6th, 2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

I've done a bit of arithmetic relating to the strike.

Let's take a worker who currently earns R4000 a month. The current
offer is 6.5%, but the unions are insisting on 12%.

If the strike lasts one month the worker will lose R4000. If the
strike is succesfull and the worker gets his 12% increase his salary
goes up to R4480. It will take 8 1/2 months just to recover the salary
lost during the strike. And will just be breaking even when the time
comes for the next wage negotiations.

Along with not getting paid for the month of the strike comes the
problems of reposessions for unpaid loans, extende credit from
unscrupulous loansharks etc. By the end of the day, the unions will
have actually LOWERED their members standard of living.

However, we are nearing an election, and COSATU wants to flex its
muscles a bit, and the strike is more about political ambitions than
it is about workers welfare.

Regards,

Old June 6th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corne

"Wildpicture" wrote in message
Is the general strike in the public sector in South Africa affecting
tourism at the moment?

I am thinking about customs officials at airports, air traffic control,
baggage handling, etc? Anything involving air traffic and airports? What
about staff of SANP (are they still in government service)?

Tourists who booked 1 month or more in advance won't cancel their trip
because of a possible strike. So no, I don't think it might get affected.

Corné.

Old June 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Corné schreef:
Is the general strike in the public sector in South Africa affecting
tourism at the moment?
I am thinking about customs officials at airports, air traffic
control, baggage handling, etc? Anything involving air traffic and
airports? What about staff of SANP (are they still in government
service)?

Tourists who booked 1 month or more in advance won't cancel their trip
because of a possible strike. So no, I don't think it might get affected.

I was not referring to the tourism sector, but to individual tourists.
Tourists who have booked and paid in advance may not cancel, because
they do not want to loose their holiday and money. So in the short run
the tourism sector may not be affected.

But if these tourists experience serious trouble, at the airport, on the
roads or wherever, it affects THEM and spoils their precious holiday
they have worked and saved for. That was what I meant.

If tourists experience such difficulties, they will of course spread the
word when back home. They will think twice about coming again and may
influence other tourists to go somewhere else. Now that WOULD affect the
tourism sector, and thereby the South African economy! That is what so
many people fail to see.

Regards,
Hans

Old June 7th, 2007, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corne

Corné schreef:
Is the general strike in the public sector in South Africa affecting
tourism at the moment?
I am thinking about customs officials at airports, air traffic control,
baggage handling, etc? Anything involving air traffic and airports? What
about staff of SANP (are they still in government service)?

Tourists who booked 1 month or more in advance won't cancel their trip
because of a possible strike. So no, I don't think it might get affected.

I was not referring to the tourism sector, but to individual tourists.

Ah, sorry. In the subject line it says: 'affecting tourism'

But if these tourists experience serious trouble, at the airport, on the
roads or wherever, it affects THEM and spoils their precious holiday they
have worked and saved for. That was what I meant.

Is there already a strike at the Airports? As far as I am aware there isn't.

If tourists experience such difficulties, they will of course spread the
word when back home. They will think twice about coming again and may
influence other tourists to go somewhere else. Now that WOULD affect the
tourism sector, and thereby the South African economy! That is what so
many people fail to see.

But tourists don't experience such difficulties, as there is no strike in
the National Parks, nor at the Airports.
The word spread will be that SA is a fantastich country with culture,
beautiful coastlines, impressive mountains and well managed national parks
which they can easily explore by themselves.
One of my guests who are looking now to buy property here, mentioned that
the border-official was so friendly to them.

So Hans, nothing to worry about

Regards from the bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old June 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Corné schreef:
Is there already a strike at the Airports? As far as I am aware there
isn't.

There have been minor disturbances which caused some extra waiting. But
I was merely inquiring about the actual situation as I read this on the
Sa news:

"Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) Western Cape secretary
Tony Ehrenreich warned foreign travellers wanting to visit SA to
reconsider their plans as no immigration and customs personnel would be
on duty. This was expected to cause chaos at the two main international
airports, OR Tambo in Johannesburg and Cape Town International Airport."

So far it seems things run pretty smoothly at JNB. My comment was that
such remarks by union leaders are very unwise. And if the situation he
describes would happen, it would even be more unwise.

The word spread will be that SA is a fantastich country with culture,
beautiful coastlines, impressive mountains and well managed national
parks which they can easily explore by themselves.

It is. But it is also a country with serious crime. And also serious
corruption and incompetent leadership at many levels in (local)
government. That is what is causing the fact that resources are not
applied to poor people who really need it. Unfortunately the government
style is more and more turning towards former east european styles
(well, that is where a lot of them have been trained). There is no real
open, transparent democracy as most is covered up within the single
party ruling the country. Criticism is not regarded as potentially
helpfull but done away with as unwanted, unrespectfull,
counterproductive or even racist.

One of my guests who are looking now to buy property here, mentioned
that the border-official was so friendly to them.

I too have been looking to buy property in SA, with the intention of
moving there permanently. We found a lovely property near Naboomspruit.
Unfortunately things didn't follow through then (4 years ago). At the
moment we stopped looking for property because of the reason I mentioned
above. We have two little children and at the moment I just don't like
the direction into which SA is developping. It would be their future too.

Oh, and of course, fortunately there are still lots and lots of friendly
people in SA! At the border and inside. :-)

So Hans, nothing to worry about

No worries in Africa. :-)))

Regards,
Hans

P.s. How's the weather over there? Have you had any rainshowers the last
few days?