Strike in SA affecting tourism?

Old June 7th, 2007, 04:20 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corne

Default Strike in SA affecting tourism?

"Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) Western Cape secretary
Tony Ehrenreich warned foreign travellers wanting to visit SA to
reconsider their plans as no immigration and customs personnel would be on
duty. This was expected to cause chaos at the two main international
airports, OR Tambo in Johannesburg and Cape Town International Airport."

So far it seems things run pretty smoothly at JNB. My comment was that
such remarks by union leaders are very unwise. And if the situation he
describes would happen, it would even be more unwise.

What can you say about this, welcome in Africa? I agree it's plain stupid
but remember from which corner it comes (Trade Union). It smells a bit like
black mail.

The word spread will be that SA is a fantastich country with culture,
beautiful coastlines, impressive mountains and well managed national
parks which they can easily explore by themselves.

It is. But it is also a country with serious crime. And also serious
corruption and incompetent leadership at many levels in (local)
government. That is what is causing the fact that resources are not
applied to poor people who really need it. Unfortunately the government
style is more and more turning towards former east european styles (well,
that is where a lot of them have been trained). There is no real open,
transparent democracy as most is covered up within the single party ruling
the country. Criticism is not regarded as potentially helpfull but done
away with as unwanted, unrespectfull, counterproductive or even racist.

Alas I have to agree with you. After apartheid comes now the 1 party system,
like indeed in many former east-Europe countries.

I too have been looking to buy property in SA, with the intention of
moving there permanently. We found a lovely property near Naboomspruit.

That is a nice area with lot's of space and gamefarms!

Unfortunately things didn't follow through then (4 years ago). At the
moment we stopped looking for property because of the reason I mentioned
above. We have two little children and at the moment I just don't like the
direction into which SA is developping. It would be their future too.

I have a son of 9 months now, and he will grow up here in the bush. I think
that as long as the ANC has the power there is a future for us here, when
they start losing an election and the DA comes into power.... then things
like in Zimbabwe can happen. I never belief that the ANC will ever give up
their power. So... the change will have to come from inside the ANC itself.

Oh, and of course, fortunately there are still lots and lots of friendly
people in SA! At the border and inside. :-)

Haha, yes there are!

No worries in Africa. :-)))

Hakuna Matata!

P.s. How's the weather over there? Have you had any rainshowers the last
few days?

Yes, very strangely we had some drops of rain yesterday.

Keep well.

Corné.

Old June 7th, 2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Corné schreef:
Alas I have to agree with you. After apartheid comes now the 1 party
system, like indeed in many former east-Europe countries.

It is this kind of thing that worries me:

The SABC has again changed its mind about screening a controversial
documentary on President Thabo Mbeki that was canned about a year ago.

"No, it will not be shown," said SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago on
Thursday after the Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) released a
statement indicating that the documentary would be screened.

On Thursday, documentary producer Ben Cashden told Sapa that the
programme would be aired on Sunday at 9pm on SABC 3.

"We really feel no one has the right to announce things for us,"
Kganyago said.

The initial canning of the documentary caused an outcry with accusations
of self-censorship levelled against the national broadcaster.

At the time SABC said the programme was canned because "internal
approval processes were not correctly followed".

The FXI expressed concern that the reportedly critical tone adopted
towards Mbeki had resulted in the withdrawal of the documentary, thus
constituting self-censorship.

P.s. How's the weather over there? Have you had any rainshowers the
last few days?

Yes, very strangely we had some drops of rain yesterday.

I saw that some rain was predicted for the area just west of Kruger.
Strange. Well, I guess it is welcomed!

Still counting the days until we fly southwards...... :-)))

Regards,
Hans
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corne

"Wildpicture" wrote in message
Corné schreef:
Alas I have to agree with you. After apartheid comes now the 1 party
system, like indeed in many former east-Europe countries.

It is this kind of thing that worries me:

The SABC has again changed its mind about screening a controversial
documentary on President Thabo Mbeki that was canned about a year ago.

"No, it will not be shown," said SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago on
Thursday after the Freedom of Expression Institute (FXI) released a
statement indicating that the documentary would be screened.

On Thursday, documentary producer Ben Cashden told Sapa that the programme
would be aired on Sunday at 9pm on SABC 3.

"We really feel no one has the right to announce things for us," Kganyago
said.

The initial canning of the documentary caused an outcry with accusations
of self-censorship levelled against the national broadcaster.

Yes, the SABC is state-owned, as is MNET (these can be received with a
normal areal).
To understand the ANC you have to understand the African culture, within the
ANC there is a strong democracy, but towards the outworld (DA, the media,
foreign media etc.) the form one block.
Example: the ANC wouldn't critisize Zuma in public, but it seems his career
is over. Like Winnie Mandela in the 90's.

At the time SABC said the programme was canned because "internal approval
processes were not correctly followed".

Which says as much as: to much criticism.

Still counting the days until we fly southwards...... :-)))

Aha And when is that Hans, and where do you go this time?

Keep well.

Regards from the bush, lovely stars now!!

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old June 7th, 2007, 07:49 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Corné schreef:
Still counting the days until we fly southwards...... :-)))

Aha And when is that Hans, and where do you go this time?

This time no remote parts of Botswana or even Zambia. :-( It will be our
first trip with both our young children (ages 5 and nearly 3), so we'll
do it more "convenient" and stay in bungalows in Kruger for a month.
We'll head south in a couple of weeks.

The kids love to study animals from field guides. Absolutely amazing
what they already recognize. Even the youngest can already identify many
different mammals and birds!

lovely stars now!!

Over here no stars. Just daylight until almost 23.00hrs...

Regards,
Hans
Old June 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corne

Corné schreef:
Still counting the days until we fly southwards...... :-)))

Aha And when is that Hans, and where do you go this time?

This time no remote parts of Botswana or even Zambia. :-( It will be our
first trip with both our young children (ages 5 and nearly 3), so we'll do
it more "convenient" and stay in bungalows in Kruger for a month. We'll
head south in a couple of weeks.

That is great. My personal favorite camps in the Kruger are Lower Sabie,
Letaba, Mopani and Shingwedzi.

The kids love to study animals from field guides. Absolutely amazing what
they already recognize. Even the youngest can already identify many
different mammals and birds!

Yes, children learn fast. We think Niels (my son of 9 months) will learn 4
languages: dutch (off course), english and afrikaans, and tsonga since this
is the language of our staff.

lovely stars now!!

Over here no stars. Just daylight until almost 23.00hrs...

Wait till you are in the Kruger! Enjoy it. If you feel like coming for a
drink you are more then welcome. Maybe we meet in the park, after all it's a
small world after all.

Have a good weekend.

Regards from the bush,

Corné.

www.amukela.com

Old June 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

1) MNET is not a stste owned company. It is privately owned by
Multichoice.

2) What do you mean by "the African culture"? Are you suggesting that
there is a pan-African common culture? If so, then you are very much
mistaken, or know absolutely nothing about African cultures.

Or is your reference to "the African culture" simply your equivalent
of the French "Les noires" or the Portuguese "Pretos"? There are
several other terms that are used around the world, but I'd prefer not
to mention them on this NG.

3) Are you claiming that the DA is not African? Your statement, in any
case, is completely meaningless. Can you point me to ANY political
organisation worldwide that doesn't form one block when faced by
opposition?

Marc

SNIP

Old June 9th, 2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Corné.

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
1) MNET is not a stste owned company. It is privately owned by
Multichoice.

Sorry, I meant E-TV (49) off course, and you must have Sattelite TV to
receive MNET. Isn't Multichoice a BEE owned company?

2) What do you mean by "the African culture"?

Diificult to descibe, I mean offcourse the black culture in SA, and I am
aware the Zulu culture is quit different to that of the Xhosa. But there are
many things in common: Ubuntu, traditional believe mixed with christian
believe, looking back in their past to explain current event etc. Very
interresting, and I am in a lucky position to learn every day.

Or is your reference to "the African culture" simply your equivalent
of the French "Les noires" or the Portuguese "Pretos"? There are
several other terms that are used around the world, but I'd prefer not
to mention them on this NG.

Now you sound like an old colonial type of Cecil Rhodes.... I am not
lowering myself to that level.

3) Are you claiming that the DA is not African?

You are putting words in my mouth, things I have never said nor written
down. DA is by the way my party.

Can you point me to ANY political
organisation worldwide that doesn't form one block when faced by
opposition?

The shameless actions of the ANC regarding Zimbabwe ('free and fair
elections'), regarding AIDS/HIV, regarding Zuma and the criticism wordlwide
regarding crime is imho not comparable with modern Europe. But again, this
is Africa, and in the ANC organisation there is an african way of democracy.
In a country which was ruled by white minorities for hundred's of years, it
is now up to the ANC to make it's own mistakes. Like when you have children
you don't want to make the same mistakes your parents made, but anyway...
you will make mistakes.

At the end, I don't think generally the strike in SA will have an impact on
tourism. Those are my final thoughts on this subject.

Have a good life!

Corné.

www.amukela.com

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:14:39 +0200, Corné
SNIP

Old June 10th, 2007, 10:52 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

Of course you meant E-TV? E-TV is a privately owned company as well,
and is not state-owned at all.

Multichoice is owned by MIH, which is owned by Naspers. Naspers isn't
a BEE company, but I think Multichoice may well be. What's your point?
A BEE company is still a privately owned company.

Corne, my intention was never to sound like Cecil Rhodes myself. I was
in fact saying that YOU sound like Rhodes/Ian Smith/PW
Botha/Mitterand/Salazar etc. when you use terms like "the African
culture"

Your later use of "But again, this is Africa, and in the ANC
organisation there is an african way of democracy." shows that you
have lumped all of Africa into one category. Again, you are much
mistaken. There is no such thing as "african way of democracy".

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 20:53:47 +0200, Corné.
wrote:

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

SNIP

Old June 18th, 2007, 02:12 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Marc Lurie[_1_]

The latest on the strike... taken from "News 24" I think.

Immigration officials join strike

Mon, 18 Jun 2007

It was regrettable that immigration officers had joined the public
service strike, the Tourism Business Council of SA (TBCSA) said on
Monday.

TBCSA spokesperson Reynold Thakhuli said the decision by the Essential
Services Committee to allow the officers to join the strike was
detrimental to competitiveness.

Airports affected

"The decision will without any doubt affect our competitiveness as a
country, more especially at our airports with the immigration and
customs personnel also downing tools," said Thakhuli.

Last Friday the Public Servants Association said that immigration
workers were granted permission to take part in the public service
strike by the statutory ESC.

Thakhuli said with workers being on strike, the issuing of passports
and other documents necessary to enter South Africa would take longer
than usual.

The tourism industry was preparing for the 2010 World Cup, and the
strike would influence the number of potential investors coming into
the country, he said.

"This kind of action could have been averted a long time ago as the
consequence of this industrial action is baring negative effects on
the tourism sector and the economy at large," he said.

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 20:48:19 +0200, Wildpicture
wrote:

Is the general strike in the public sector in South Africa affecting
tourism at the moment?

I am thinking about customs officials at airports, air traffic control,
baggage handling, etc? Anything involving air traffic and airports? What
about staff of SANP (are they still in government service)?

Regards,
Hans

Old June 18th, 2007, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Wildpicture

Marc Lurie schreef:
The latest on the strike... taken from "News 24" I think.
Immigration officials join strike

snip
"The decision will without any doubt affect our competitiveness as a
country, more especially at our airports with the immigration and
customs personnel also downing tools," said Thakhuli.

Not to pleased to hear this. Hope they resolve things soon. Of course
for the workers and the government. But also because standing in a queue
at Jo'burg Intl for a long time with two little children after having
traveled about 20 hours, is not something to look forward to. :-(

Regards,
Hans