Flights from Manila to Cagayan De Oro in the Philippines

Old September 9th, 2007, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Mick Cant

Default Flights from Manila to Cagayan De Oro in the Philippines

Hi all,

My flights to Manila from London via Abu Dhabi U A E, arrives at 2.30 pm on
Wednesday 26th September 2007

There seems to be two airlines with flights from Manila to Cagayan De Oro.

Philippine Airlines and Cebu Pacific, but both flight times are very much
the same.

There are three flights a day from Manila to Cagayan De Oro

But the only one running after I arrive is with Cebu Pacific it leaves
Manila at 3.35 pm this is only 65 minuets after I arrive,

if the plane is running late, or I have delays getting through customs and
immigration I may not make it,

the next flight is early the next morning.

If I book the last flight on the Wednesday then find I miss it will I be
able to get the next available or will the ticket be cancelled?

Would I be better not booking the onward flight until I arrive at Manila?

Also I have been told it is best to take travellers cheques in dollars, is
this correct?

Any help and other information appreciated.

Mick.

Old September 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:43:30 +0100, "Mick Cant"
wrote:

[...]

There's no way you could make the 3.35pm flight. Cebu Pacific domestic
flights leave from a completely different terminal so you'll need to
clear customs and transfer. The transfer itself could take anything
from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic.

Chris
Old September 9th, 2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Mick Cant

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:43:30 +0100, "Mick Cant"
There's no way you could make the 3.35pm flight. Cebu Pacific domestic

flights leave from a completely different terminal so you'll need to
clear customs and transfer. The transfer itself could take anything
from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
Would you know if I can find an hotel near the airport for the night?
Mick

Old September 10th, 2007, 02:18 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 19:59:29 +0100, "Mick Cant"
wrote:

"Chris Blunt" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Sep 2007 10:43:30 +0100, "Mick Cant"
There's no way you could make the 3.35pm flight. Cebu Pacific domestic

flights leave from a completely different terminal so you'll need to
clear customs and transfer. The transfer itself could take anything
from 20 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
Would you know if I can find an hotel near the airport for the night?

There are a couple of guest houses near to the airport, but not much
else in the area. If you don't want to be stuck out there for the rest
of the afternoon and evening you might be better to get a hotel in
Makati, which would be about 30 minutes from the airport in a taxi.
There are plenty to choose from on the travel reservation websites.

Chris
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Mick Cant

wrote:
There are a couple of guest houses near to the airport, but not much
else in the area. If you don't want to be stuck out there for the rest
of the afternoon and evening you might be better to get a hotel in
Makati, which would be about 30 minutes from the airport in a taxi.
There are plenty to choose from on the travel reservation websites.

Chris

Thanks again Chris,
One final question (you can guess I do not
normally travel much)
I have now been told by a friend that I need jabs before I go, as the area I
am going to
Cagayan de Oro City on Mindanao island has lots of mosquitoes.
I realise I do not have time to get a EHIC card.
And just want to take any sensible action I can.
Thanks again,
Mick.

Old September 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

wrote:
There are a couple of guest houses near to the airport, but not much
else in the area. If you don't want to be stuck out there for the rest
of the afternoon and evening you might be better to get a hotel in
Makati, which would be about 30 minutes from the airport in a taxi.
There are plenty to choose from on the travel reservation websites.

Chris

Thanks again Chris,
One final question (you can guess I do not
normally travel much)
I have now been told by a friend that I need jabs before I go, as the area I
am going to
Cagayan de Oro City on Mindanao island has lots of mosquitoes.
I realise I do not have time to get a EHIC card.
And just want to take any sensible action I can.
Thanks again,

You don't need any jabs as far as them being required for you to enter
the country is concerned. Its probably not worth having any unless
you're planning on going out into some remote jungle area. Dengue
fever is probably your biggest risk.

Are you aware of the travel advisories in place for Mindanao? The
Philippines military is currently involved in an ongoing battle with
the Moro Islamic Liberation Front and Abu Sayyaf down there. It need
not necessarily affect your trip, but you should at least be aware of
what's going on.

Chris
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:40 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
BigJim

Hello Mick and Chris

I have visited CDO several times and not felt unsafe. I have a bayot from
Iligan City, near CDO, boarding in my flat. He thinks it is perfectly safe
in that area. I also have American friends living in CDO. They think it is
perfectly safe too. So something bad may happen to you, as it could happen
any where in the world but most probably you will just enjoy yourself with
no incedent to spoil your time.

Chris, in relation to traveller's cheques, I would rather stick needles in
my eyes that deal with traveller's cheques again in the Philippines. You
will be much better off with an ATM card, especially one that uses the
Cirrus system.

I have had dengue fever while in the Philippines. I think a Filipino on a
diet of mainly rice will have concerns but for a foreigner on a nutricious
diet and who is otherwise healthy, I don't think it is a disease to worry
about. I used to take malaria tablets but gave up on that more than 10 years
ago.

I have stayed at the Townhouse in Paranaque, about 10 minutes from the
airport, depending on traffic. It is low class but I would be happy to stay
there again. You can read more about the townhouse he
http://asiabill.pages.web.com/id2.html

If you want some helpful information for first time visitors to the
Philippines, start with this page of my website:
http://www.bigjimsphilippinesexperience.com/visas.htm

Regards: Jim Sibbick

wrote:

. ..

Old September 12th, 2007, 12:10 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:40:15 +1000, "BigJim"
wrote:

Chris, in relation to traveller's cheques, I would rather stick needles in
my eyes that deal with traveller's cheques again in the Philippines. You
will be much better off with an ATM card, especially one that uses the
Cirrus system.

I agree, and that's exactly what I suggested Mick do when he asked a
similar question here a couple of weeks ago.

Chris
Old September 12th, 2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alan S[_1_]

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:40:15 +1000, "BigJim"
wrote:

Regards: Jim Sibbick

You certainly get around Jim. I'm heading off to Bangkok and
Siem Reap next year. If you've been there, any tips? I've
already booked in Siem Reap.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/