Safari questions

Old October 15th, 2007, 05:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
nickra

Default Safari questions

In 2008, I wanna do a safari for me and the mrs. We currently live in
Sydney. We would prefer to do it in December or January, although July
and August is a remote possibility as well. We'd like to spend 5-7
days in the bush, looking at animals and staying in a top-end resort,
maybe something akin to the Voyages resorts we have stayed at in
Australia. Suggestions? Thoughts? Caveats? S.A. or Kenya? Winter or
summer?

Old October 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:15:15 -0700, nickra wrote:

In 2008, I wanna do a safari for me and the mrs. We currently live in
Sydney. We would prefer to do it in December or January, although July
and August is a remote possibility as well. We'd like to spend 5-7
days in the bush, looking at animals and staying in a top-end resort,
maybe something akin to the Voyages resorts we have stayed at in
Australia. Suggestions? Thoughts? Caveats? S.A. or Kenya? Winter or
summer?

Too short.

But if you still want to do it, look at one of the upper class
lodges in Masai Mara, Kenya. Mara Intrepids or their upper-class
Explorers (?) comes to mind.

Note that top-end resorts charge something around $800 for a
double per night. I don't know the one you mentioned.

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Herulf

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:00:23 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:15:15 -0700, nickra wrote:

[cut]

But if you still want to do it, look at one of the upper class
lodges in Masai Mara, Kenya. Mara Intrepids or their upper-class
Explorers (?) comes to mind.

And don't forget Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Vicoria Falls......
--
Herulf Skogheim
http://nord-troms.no
Old October 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
jeanmichel.renouard

Hi ! the best places for a photographic safaris are Kenya and South Africa
The best season (dry season) in Kenya : from December to March and again
from July to the End of September
in South Africa , from May to the end of September. Otherwise it is the
rainy season and it is only suitable for the
ornithologists. Some good spots to visit :

in Kenya : Masai Mara, Samburu, Shaba, Buffalo Springs game reserves, Tsavo
and Amboseli national Parks
in South Africa : Kruger National Park (if you can afford, i'd recommend to
stay at least a couple of days in private game reserves bordering Kruger
Nat.Park like
Mala Mala, Sabie Game Reserve or Kambaku Game reserve. - Another good place
is the Pilansberg crater national park closeby Sun City.
let's have a look at my internet site : http://jeanmichel.renouard.free.fr
sorry foxes but all informations are in French !
I've been twice in Australia leading French groups of Tourists and I just
love your country !
best regards
Jean Michel Renouard Esq.

Old October 16th, 2007, 08:37 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
nickra

On Oct 16, 5:12 pm, "jeanmichel.renouard"
wrote:
[...]

. com...

In 2008, I wanna do a safari for me and the mrs. We currently live in
Sydney. We would prefer to do it in December or January, although July
and August is a remote possibility as well. We'd like to spend 5-7
days in the bush, looking at animals and staying in a top-end resort,
maybe something akin to the Voyages resorts we have stayed at in
Australia. Suggestions? Thoughts? Caveats? S.A. or Kenya? Winter or
summer?

So, would you say that the private game reserves hard by Kruger in
S.A. in the Southern winter would be our best bet?

Old October 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Bill[_3_]

In 2008, I wanna do a safari for me and the mrs. ...
We would prefer to do it in December or January
Suggestions? Thoughts? Caveats? S.A. or Kenya? Winter or
summer?

In January the best place is Tanzania, where about 2 million
wildebeests and zebras congregate on the short grass plains of the
Serengeti. So a typical trip might include Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro
Crater, south end of Serengeti, maybe central Serengeti near Seronera
for leopards. For a short trip like you mention maybe just south
Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater.

We did a 12 day trip there last January and enjoyed 170 lion
sightings, saw 20 cheetahs, serval cats catching mice, a couple of
times we were in the big herds with maybe 500,000 wildebeests, plus
many species of birds close enough to photograph ...
http://www.hiltonphotography.net/africa/ and click on the Jan 2007
trip ...

Kenya is better in Aug - Sept when most of these same wildebeests are
in the Mara, but Tanzania is best in January.

Bill

Old October 17th, 2007, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
nickra

On Oct 17, 12:53 am, Bill wrote:
[...]

Any thoughts on Sabi Sabi? And is there a comparable place in Kenya?
Little Governor's?

Old October 17th, 2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:44:21 +0200, Herulf wrote:

And don't forget Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Vicoria Falls......

And all in six days.

Reminds me of the tourist, saying, "Yesterday we did Spain."
(:-)

Hans-Georg
--
No mail, please.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.africa
kenya safaris

On Oct 15, 7:15 am, nickra wrote:
In 2008, I wanna do a safari for me and the mrs. We currently live in
Sydney. We would prefer to do it in December or January, although July
and August is a remote possibility as well. We'd like to spend 5-7
days in the bush, looking at animals and staying in a top-end resort,
maybe something akin to the Voyages resorts we have stayed at in
Australia. Suggestions? Thoughts? Caveats? S.A. or Kenya? Winter or
summer?

Kenya i bet will be the most preferably, that is between july and
towards the end of october, you will spend your best time in the
bush,there are plenty of animal during this period especially maasai
mara due to the spectacular migration of thousands of wildebeest to
the park.Amboseli and samburu will also do.

The accommodation is superb ranging from luxurious lodges to beautiful
permanent camps.

7 days or more will do.

Old October 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.africa
[email protected]

We were in the Serengeti-Tanzania in June. The migration had been
stalled. Plenty of rain earlier had kept the grass growing. So most of
the animals were still there. We visited the crater and enjoyed every
minute. The question then arises; when is the best time to safari?
Much of it depends on the weather. Whatever you do avoid the rainy
season. Good luck and enjoy.