Canadian flag on the backback myth

Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:25 PM
PTRAVEL

Default Canadian flag on the backback myth

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:02:17 GMT, Van wrote:

That is no urban myth as I have personally witnessed it and was told by
the Americans that they get treated better when the Europeans think we
are from Canada. It is not our fault that we have a better rep than
Americans.

Look, I'm an American who lives in Europe and I can assure you that
most Europeans would think that walking around with any sort of flag
pasted on your backpack labels you as an idiot. In the second place,
don't think most Europeans recognize the Canadian flag when they see
it. I agree with the other poster who said they probably think it's a
marijuana leaf. I have seen convincing evidence (quiz shows) to
indicate that many Europeans don't even recognize the other European
flags.

Even though I have never posed as a Canadian, I have always been
treated with the greatest courtesy and kindness throughout Europe. The
only thing you need to guarantee a good experience in Europe is good
manners.

Brava, Barbara! That has been my experience as well. The only thing this
thread proves is that rude and intolerant people can be found in all
countries.

-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot

it

Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Sjoerd

"Bassosa" schreef in bericht
om...
Being from Holland (Amsterdam) there is no doubt in my mind that
Americans are treated differently. Why? Simply, because WE DO NOT LIKE
AMERICANS....never have, never will. I am not talking for myself but
this seems to be the general opinion.

The above is pure nonsense of course. The general opinion is that we don't
like the *current US government*. However, most people (unfortunately not
all) are sufficiently intelligent to not paint all Americans with the same
brush. There are nice Americans and not-so-nice Americans just like there
are nice Japanese and not-so-nice Japanese, nice Lithuanians and not-so-nice
Lithuanians, and, indeed, nice Canadians and not-so-nice Canadians.

Sjoerd

Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
ANONYMOUSE

GWB Jr.

who's this "GWB Jr."?

some canadian?

It seems to me, the US is at War against Afghanistan

these united States have not been at war since 1945.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:30 PM
ANONYMOUSE

Sjoerd wrote:

"Anonymouse" schreef in bericht

Sjoerd wrote:

I don't think any country that's been to war is completely guilt-free.
In Bosnia there were local accusations of beatings, rape and the sexual
abuse

I didn't write that. Learn how to quote.

but you don't deny that it was dutch troops that handed over unarmed
civilians for execution.

good thing all the US troops did is soften up a few of the terrorist
prisoners psychologically.... that is to say they didn't torture them.

no asking question, refusal to answer, whack off a finger, repeat....

OK from now on let's treat all US prisoners abroad in the same way and see
how the US government and US citizens will react.

Sjoerd

well we saw with nick berg that our civilians are treated worse than
that now.

--
MICROSOFT WINDOWS 2003 ENTERPRISE SERVER W/ 25 LICENSES

Derringer Kit Gun Sideplates

Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
Sjoerd

"ANONYMOUSE" schreef in bericht

but you don't deny that it was dutch troops that handed over unarmed
civilians for execution.

I deny it now. They didn't know the unarmed civilians where going to be
executed.

well we saw with nick berg that our civilians are treated worse than
that now.

What was he doing in Iraq anyway? Trying to make some money. Stupid guy.

Sjoerd

Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:31 PM
Barney

"PTRAVEL" had
:

"Barney" wrote in message
B had
writtennews:ms5rb0hb1907n1jmbdq6bpl9bi3agu8vbn@4ax .com:

I once had the bad luck to ride in a train for two hours in
front of a loud and ignorant Canadian in Italy. Don't fool
yourself. -----------
Barbara Vaughan

It is embarrassing. Most Canadians feel embarrassed about our
countrymen that do that, but most Americans don't even know how
rude it is.

What an incredibly ridiculous thing to say. How do you know what
"most" Americans do when abroad? How do you even know if they're
Americans.

Because they say they are American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Usually the first
thing they say)

I traveled extensivly and many times with Americans. Most time I
tried to disassociate myself from them but alas! I worked with them
as well.

"I'm not into name calling. That's best left to the Morons and
Idiots"
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:55 PM
Dave Smith

catchmerevisited wrote:

Suspected terrorists should be tried under the process of the land in
which they committed the crime.

A terrorist isn't a terrorist unless it can be proven he/she attempted to,
or otherwise assisted, a crime.
Considering that those who go through with the action almost always wind up
dead, it is moot to charge them after the fact. But when you enter foreign
soil hunting for a 'terrorist'- especially uninvited, you are committing an
act of war.
GWB Jr. even stated that "We are at war against terrorism" (he also said he
was at war against evil, which makes him as fanatic as the ones he hunts)
It seems to me, the US is at War against Afghanistan, and therefore MUST
uphold the Geneva Convention.

The illegal combatant is an interesting label in the Afghan situation when you
consider that they were fighting against foreign invaders.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:56 PM
Dave Smith

Xomicron wrote:

A terrorist isn't a terrorist unless it can be proven he/she attempted
to, or otherwise assisted, a crime.
Considering that those who go through with the action almost always wind
up dead, it is moot to charge them after the fact. But when you enter
foreign soil hunting for a 'terrorist'- especially uninvited, you are
committing an act of war.
GWB Jr. even stated that "We are at war against terrorism" (he also said
he was at war against evil, which makes him as fanatic as the ones he
hunts) It seems to me, the US is at War against Afghanistan, and
therefore MUST uphold the Geneva Convention.

The US is not at war with Afghanistan.

Then how do Americans get to determine that the people they are fighting there
are illegal combatants.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:33 PM
Lou Minatti

Van wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:01:33 GMT, Ken Ehrett wrote:

On Mon, 31 May 2004 19:29:06 -0400, "Robert R."
wrote:

To be honest I kind of got that impression from the number of Americans who took
refuge behind a Cdn flag on their packs etc.

Get over yourself you stupid moose ****er. Repeating that idiotic
urban myth is not going to make it any more true than when the first
flannel shirt wearing drunken moron from CanaDuh pulled it out of his
ass after stumbling over the snow bank where he clubbed a baby seal.

That is no urban myth as I have personally witnessed it and was told by
the Americans that they get treated better when the Europeans think we
are from Canada. It is not our fault that we have a better rep than
Americans.

http://www.expedia.co.uk/daily/press...%20Tourist.doc

Yes, it's safe to open. If you don't want to open the file, here is a
summary (sorry about the formatting):

Rank The World's Best Tourists Points
1 Germans +41
2 Americans +32
3 Japanese +24
4 Italians +10
5 French +5
5= Norwegians +5
5= Swedish +5
8 Spanish +4
8= Canadians +4
10 Chinese 3
10= Thais 3
10= Dutch 3
13 Brazilians -1
13= Danes -1
13= Polish -1
16 Russians -2
17 Argentineans -3
17= New Zealanders -3
17= Czechs -3
17= Finnish -3
21 Indians -4
22 Irish -6
22= Israelis -6
24 British -44
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
devil

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 14:14:46 +0000, Xomicron wrote:

Padraig Breathnach wrote in
:

Xomicron wrote:

The US is not at war with Afghanistan.

Then its armed forces were not faced by any illegal combatants.

What makes terrorists legal combatants?

Talking about US troops who invaded a foreign land presumably?