experience about camping safari in Kenya?

Old November 29th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Wilson

Default experience about camping safari in Kenya?

Anyone who tried the camping safari in Kenya could share your
experience with me? Is it very uncomfortable to sleep? Also, what
about the hygiene standard of a toilet? Any snake or spider in the
camp sites? Suppose I go to a toilet in the midnight, is it sensible
of me to do? And how would you like the camp sites in Amboseli,
Sambura and Mara Masai? Thanks in advance!
Old November 29th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

(Wilson) wrote:

Anyone who tried the camping safari in Kenya could share your
experience with me? Is it very uncomfortable to sleep? Also, what
about the hygiene standard of a toilet? Any snake or spider in the
camp sites? Suppose I go to a toilet in the midnight, is it sensible
of me to do? And how would you like the camp sites in Amboseli,
Sambura and Mara Masai? Thanks in advance!

Wilson,

to the best of my knowledge they are quite comfortable. The
toilets are often makeshift holes in the ground in a separate
small part of the tents, but such that you can go there without
having to go outside.

It probably depends on the safari operator though. Therefore I
would recommend to ask these specific questions before you book.
Can't hurt to ask in writing, like by email.

If you happen on a safari where you have to walk to a separate
toilet at night, be sure to have a good flashlight with you, so
you can scan the area for big animals. And learn which ones are
dangerous and which ones aren't. Examples, big predators except
cheetahs are potentially dangerous, though no cases are known
(unless you leave your tent open while you sleep or something
like that), hippos, buffalos, and elephants are dangerous, all
others, like zebra, wildebeest, giraffe, eland, kudu, will
always run away. Hope I didn't forget any.

Snakes are no problem if you walk slowly and trample a bit. They
are shy and go out of your way. Again I know of no case where
any tourist has been harmed by a snake, though the African kids
who run through the bush bare-footed are vulnerable.

Spiders are not a big problem either, except for the hunting
spider, but that occurs only in the north of Kenya and will
usually not kill you, but a bad bite may put you in a coma for
some 24 hours. Or so the stories go, probably worst case
stories.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old November 29th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Peter Gower

I think you will be just fine. Go to my web site
www3.sympatico.ca/pandjgower
and follow the link to Safaris. You will find diaries of our camping
safaris.
Peter

Old November 29th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Gross50

Having lived in Kenya, I will be biased in my views. As far as animals
are concerned, you have nothing to be afraid of. animals are just as
afraid of man as we are of them. of course, rogue animals can be a
problem. Lions and cheetahs dont noramlly attack humans. i am usually
more afraid of buffalos, elephants and rhinos. I think most camp sites
are fenced to protect the campers. as far as toilets are concerned they
should be within the campsite rather than you relieving your self in the
bush. there are also armed wardens within the camps to provide security.
The most important thing would be to go for organised camping where you
secrity can be guaranteed

most snakes in kenya are harmless. rarely will you encounter a python.
spiders are also harmless. samburu is hot thus you will possibly
encouter 1 or 2 harmless snakes. in amboseli or mara you might not.

You have nothing to be afraid of, other than people bent on stealing
your stuff. Enjoy yourself. I will also be in Kenya for Xmas holidays

--
John 3:16

Old November 30th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Liz

In message
Gross50 wrote:

most snakes in kenya are harmless. rarely will you encounter a python.

I thought the snake you had to worry about, if any, was the puff adder,
because it doesn't sneak away when it feels footsteps, but just strikes out
if you get too near?

Aren't snakes in a 'torpor' at night, often down holes or in rock crevices,
so you wouldn't be so likely to encounter them at a night-time loo trip (or
is that just me being over-optimistic?)

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old November 30th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Gross50 wrote:

most snakes in kenya are harmless. rarely will you encounter a python.

And even if you do encounter a python, it won't be very dangerous
because it's not a venomous snake. A full grown python can in theory
kill a human, but it would be an extremely rare event if it did. The
only thing you have to be careful about in Kenya while camping, is not
to leave things like empty boxes lying around. Many snakes go for
secluded areas, and may get into that box during the night. Pick it up
in the morning and you may get bitten, because the new inhabitant feels
threatened. We once found a back mamba in an empty box in our camp...

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
Old November 30th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Klaus Scharfenstein

Hi, Wilson,

there are definitely several disadvantages which MAYBE combined to
camping in Kenya - but they are nothing compared to the overwhelming
experience it DOES mean.

We had a discussion here about this earlier this year:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V45925CA6

Klaus

Old November 30th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Gross50

Very good pictures on the websites. I'm now primed up and ready for my
well deserved holiday. 9 days to go. Kenya here I come, again and again.

--
John 3:16