Ever lost your credit cards or ID while traveling?

Old December 16th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Cruising Chrissy

Default Ever lost your credit cards or ID while traveling?

On 14 Dec 2003 13:59:14 -0800, (Steve) wrote:

My favorite page is:
http://www.cardguardusa.com

You're a liar of the worst sorts, a scamming, dishonest piece of
garbage that would make your mother, if you had or have one, cringe
and consider suicide.

Other than that, have a nice day.
Old December 17th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Brenda

AMEX is great! Had my CC lifted when I was hit by a car in Turkey &
jumped by the occupants. I got to the Purser's desk on Golden & they
contacted AMEX to close account & they had a new card for me to use
right there.......... and I am still using the new card which is my
new account#.

"Mike Cordelli" wrote in message . com...
Sounds like a hair club for men commercial. I'm not just a customer, I own
the company too.

My company is called card guard USA, yet it's located in Canada.

And I really believe this line too:
CardGuard believes in helping others. Our feature service is FREE and will
remain so. We give you the opportunity to make a donation in lieu of
charging for our services. All money donated will go to charitable
organizations in your respective communities.

So instead of charging me, you ask for me to make a donation and then you
will give it back to charities in my area?

No wonder you are based in Canada, if you were in the United States you
would have to answer this question:

Please tell me which charities in my area you have supported, and how much
you have donated to them?

But hey, I won't let the fact that even the address of the company is a
fake, it's a mail box rental location:

http://www.bot.com/ContentIslands/Pu...boxRentals.asp

So lets see if I have this right. I should trust you with all my
information because you have been mugged and all your credit information
stolen? Or is you carry too many credit cards when you go shopping as you
said in another post? Or is it because a criminal would have says to ring
up charges because it would take us a week or so to locate the number for
MasterCard and visa and American express? Four mouse clicks on the visa
site to get the number. One mouse click on MasterCard.

Noticed how you neglected to mention that no matter how much the criminal
charges, I'm not liable for anything other then the first $50 until I report
the card as stolen. Funny how that works.

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
Do people ever worry when their traveling what would happen if they
lost their credit cards or ID? That's what happened to me! I didn't
know who to call to report my cards stolen, or how to get a new
passport, or what to do to make sure someone didn't use my passport
and SSN to steal my identity!

There are lots of things you can do to make sure this doesn't happen
to you. The best way I found is to be prepared. There are free
services on the web that can help you protect yourself.

My favorite page is:
http://www.cardguardusa.com

On their site I used their free CardPages to create a list of all my
emergency contact numbers that I would need next time I lose any
important documents or credit cards. And I can access my CardPages
from anywhere via the internet.

Here are some other great pages I found that have some great
information on identity theft and fraud.

http://www.cardguardusa.com
http://www.cardguard.ca
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/
http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/fraud/idtheft.html
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/idtheft.htm

**Please copy and distribute freely.

Old December 17th, 2003, 01:49 PM
me

Cruising Chrissy wrote in message . ..
On 14 Dec 2003 13:59:14 -0800, (Steve) wrote:

[snip]

You're a liar of the worst sorts, a scamming, dishonest piece of
garbage that would make your mother, if you had or have one, cringe
and consider suicide.

Don't hold back. What do you really think?
Old December 17th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Nathaniel Riesenberg

(Steve) wrote in message . com...
[...]

No one expects to lose their cc's or passport. First time travelers
(and even experienced ones) have had these things stolen. (1)The 800
numbers to call to report lost cards are useless in Europe. There are
non-800 numbers on all the cc's I have and they say to call collect
from anywhere in the world. (2)One convenient thing to do is
photocopy the front and back of all the cards you are taking with you
and place copies of these in SEVERAL different places, so that unless
every item you have were stolen, you would have a list of all your
cc's and the non-800 numbers, (3)ditto of (2) for passport.
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Mike Cordelli

If you dial into an AT&T or MCI, or lots of other's access numbers, you can
still call toll free numbers from anywhere in the world. Another option is
to use the non toll free version of the numbers:

You can also replace
800 with 880
888 with 881
877 with 882
and
866 with 883

to make the call, though they won't be free. It's up to the owner of the
800 number if they allow overseas calls to be put through.

Old December 18th, 2003, 07:49 AM
Mark Kelly

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 00:58:42 GMT, "Mike Cordelli"
wrote:

[...]

Not all countries do that call collect.
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Old January 7th, 2004, 06:06 PM
BAC

Been robed at gun point on a bus from Tasco to Mex. City. They left the
cards and travels checks...took cash only. I carry a crib sheet with all the
numbers and scrambled pin numbers....just got to remember how I scrambled
the numbers. I type it up in word with tiny font and keep a copy in my
wallet and in my bag. I photo copy my passport and driver licenses and carry
one in the bag and one in the wallet. The copy of my passport will sometimes
work with officials but not always I also carry the above copies laminated
and folded inside my money belt with my emergency cash. The biggest problem
I had is in Venezuela. Someone duplicated my card and ran up $2500 US in
cell phone and shoe purchases all over the country. different cities on the
same day....I made the mistake of letting the card get out of my sight. My
bank caught it and I had a message waiting for me when I arrived home. They
waved the $50 charge and ate the loss. Whew.

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:50 PM
cb

Once I lost a credit card in Barcelona, Spain but this was due to my own
fault. I had just arrived in Barcelona and was feeling a bit tired and
disoriented. There was an ATM right in the Plaza Catalunya area where I got
a cash advance from my credit card. I pulled the money but forgot to pull
out the credit card. Most ATMs beep and keep on beeping until you pull the
card but I don't remember if this one did or if I just didn't hear it
because of all the noise and din of Plaza Catalunya. About an hour later, I
realized my mistake and I hurried back to the ATM. Obviously, some other
people must have used the ATM because the card was no longer there.

Just like what others have recommended, I did have a list of all the contact
numbers for all my cards and so I hurriedly called. They cancelled the
number and said they would send me a new card with a new number. When I got
home, the new card was in the mail. Unfortunately, I never found out if the
card was used fraudulently and nothing unusual appeared in subsequent bills.
The credit card company never billed me the $50 which leads me to suspect
that nothing was fraudulently charged. I guess the trick is to catch it as
early as possible and report it immediately. And it helps to have the
contact numbers handy.

Old January 8th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Juliana L Holm

Dropped my PDA with credit card, cabin key and drivers' license in Virgin
Gorda while on my 2003 cruise. Fortunately I had my passport locked in the
safe in our room, but the cruise was leaving and it was gone. Got a new
room key, called and stopped the credit card, fortunately they had already
gotten a hold for enough money for my purchases on my room card. My husband
had to pick up drinks for the last few days of the cruise.

PDA was mailed back to me intact about a month later.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Liz

In message
"cb" wrote:

Most ATMs beep and keep on beeping until you pull the card

Really?
Not around here!
Three beeps is your limit IME.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia