Photo galleries update

Old December 28th, 2003, 10:49 PM
Rydale

Default Photo galleries update

Great site Alfred.

You do still have a couple of gremlins. On the front page, the links to

'new
site layout', 'Brunei photo gallery', and 'Kota Belud photo gallery' are

all
trying to link to a page on your hard drive ! (links show up as
file:///c:/website/root/.....).

Aside from that, you've obviously put a lot of effort (and time) into the
site. You have also managed to avoid two common faults of having too many
gimmicks, and over-fancy screen layouts. 'Keep it simple' - well done.

Small point - I have been advised to keep images on the web down to a max
400 pixels on the longest side to hold load times down as far as possible.
Might be worth considering next time (!) you redesign...

I missed the start of this string, but there was obviously some debate

about
digital SLRs. I have recently converted to Nikon D100, and sold off my

35mm
bodies before Xmas. I have absolutely no worries about the switchover (I

can
still use my old lenses !!), but confess that I have found the ability to
muck about with images is a little addictive. I check the contrast,

balance,
cropping etc on everything I do now, so the money I save in processing

costs
are somewhat outweighed by this. Its just a question of discipline I guess
(but its such good fun - I can crop anything I like *before* its printed).

I haven't yet updated my photo site to reflect any of this - a job for the
new year. But I will - I have a load of shots from Kilimanjaro and

Tarangire
NR to sort out. I have a load on our family website at
http://www.tomalin.org/charles/tanzania/index.htm. I will re-organise the
'good ones' onto the photo site soon.

Cheers

Charles

www.wildviews.com
Natural History Photography

--

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
news.com...
In article ,
says...
I'm not sure it would be worth the tradeoff of having a much larger

camera
to carry around (having one that easily fits in my pants pocket is very
nice).

Size (and cost) is what makes me hesitate about upgrading to a DSLR. The
camera I'm currently using (the Oly 5050) has an F1.8 lens and is a good
compromise between quality and portability. Having a DSLR would give me
usable ISO 400 and perhaps 800 settings, but I rarely need that
sensitivity.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal

Old December 29th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

Alfred Molon wrote:

I just finished doing a major redesign of my travel photography site:

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm

Basically the site now has a much improved user interface (is based for
the first time on CSS) and there is an internal advanced search which
generates among others pages with thumbnails in the search results.

Comments and feedback are welcome.

Alfred,

I saw some impressive pictures while looking for any from
Africa, but couldn't find any. Where are they?

Hans-Georg (also living in Munich)

--
No mail, please.
Old December 30th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Rydale

Aha - try the Egypt section Hans-Georg.
I know its not safari country but it still counts as Africa

Old December 31st, 2003, 07:22 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"Rydale" wrote:

Aha - try the Egypt section Hans-Georg.
I know its not safari country but it still counts as Africa

Charles,

I tend to forget that Egypt is in Africa. :-)

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old January 7th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Alfred M.

"Rydale" wrote in message ...

Small point - I have been advised to keep images on the web down to a max
400 pixels on the longest side to hold load times down as far as possible.

And would reduce theft too. Well, I already reduced image size to
720x540 from 800 x 600 about a year ago, and probably won't go further
down. These images contain a lot of detail and wouldn't display
properly in even smaller sizes. Also, there is an overall trend to
higher speed Internet connections and larger screens - I've had people
suggesting that I increase image size.

The choice of image size is a balance between bandwidth, screen size,
copyright considerations and size needed to represent the detail. The
standard size on my site is for instance 720 x 540, but panoramas are
up to 1024 pixels wide. But overall I limit image size to around
400000 pixels.

By the way, I fixed all broken links and added a travelogue of our
Egypt trip in December 2003 (we returned a few days ago).