Going to Tanzania in 2005. Lots of Questions

Old January 14th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Dave Patterson

Default Lodge rates in June in TZ & KE

You should expect to have low-season rates at
the lodges until July 1, with the exception of a
few places. And, generally there is no single
supplement in low season, though this is not universal.

Hotels generally do not have a low season. Same rates
all year around.

Old January 14th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Liz

In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

You should expect to have low-season rates at
the lodges until July 1, with the exception of a
few places. And, generally there is no single
supplement in low season, though this is not universal.

Hotels generally do not have a low season. Same rates
all year around.

Tx Dave.
It helps to know these things.
:-)

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles; Namibia
Old January 15th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Dave Patterson

I had never looked at your photos (seriously)
until very recently. What a wonderful chronicle
of your experiences.. Very much enjoyed.

Old January 15th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Liz

In message
Liz wrote:

In message
Dave Patterson wrote:

I had never looked at your photos (seriously)
until very recently. What a wonderful chronicle
of your experiences.. Very much enjoyed.

Who, me???
blushes
Ta muchly.

Slainte mhath

Liz

BTW: although it's nice for you to be retiring, it's a pity, because there's
a gap in the market: I can't find anything yet (took me months last year),
and I surely can't be the only one... ;-)

Old January 24th, 2004, 02:57 AM
HH

Default Going to Tanzania in 2005. Lots of Questions

--
Harlan
-----

"Justin Leggroan" wrote in message
m...

| After having read through some great information offered up in this forum
| over the past two weeks. I have now decided that my visit to Tanzania (and
| hopefully Kenya) will be July 2005. I know...... I know...... It's quite
| ways off but it also happens to be the year I acquire an additional week
of
| vacation.
|
| Considering that I will be visiting for 2-3 weeks (In July), here is what
| would like to know.
|

| 1. What kind of luggage should I bring? (i.e., Duffle Bag, Back Pack,

You'll likely be told to bring a duffle bag, no wheels, but I brought a

duffel with wheels and had no problem.

| Standard Suitcase with Roller, etc.)
|
| 2. If I go on a guided safari tour, is there anything in particular that I
| should look for when comparing outfits?

size of the group; 4wd, Rover rather than van, different type of

accommodation (permenant tent; classic tent, lodge, etc.)

| 3. Do you get to see more on the camping-based safaris?

Not really, for the most part. You're in the same territory whether you

stay in tents or lodges. However, in tents, you're more likely to hear and
perhaps see animals in early morning and late evening.

| 4. So far, the only book in my library is the Lonely Planet guide to
| Tanzania (Bought it today). Any other Recommendations?
|
| 5. Any recommendations for taking Travelers Checks versus Currency in USD
or
| a suggested ratio of the two?
|
| 6. I do not own any binoculars, is there anything I should consider when
| buying a pair for the trip?

8x35, rain resistant, if you wear glasses, test binos with glasses. Highly

recommend Pentax 8x42 DCF WP.

| 7. Are there places where I will be able to transfer digital pictures from
| Compact Flash media to CD-ROM or should I plan to bring Lots of Compact
| Flash media?

Unless you take every blink of every elephant, you should do well with two

128 mb cards, taking images of about 250 kb.

Old January 27th, 2004, 03:29 PM
philo

"Justin Leggroan" wrote in message om...

Mambo Justin!
What kind of preparations and equipment you need depends heavily on
what kind of comfort you like to have. Basically there are two forms
of tourism in Tanzania: the globetrotters and the hotel-hoppers. For a
vacation of 2 or 3 weeks it’s definitely more comfortable to
book in advance (you know, African time needs some adaption ;-).

Lodges often give you the feeling of being Hemmingway on a hunt, while
taking a hostel or tent (on safari) will get you closer to the
Livingstone feeling ;-).

Considering that I will be visiting for 2-3 weeks (In July), here is what I
would like to know.

1. What kind of luggage should I bring? (i.e., Duffle Bag, Back Pack,
Standard Suitcase with Roller, etc.)

2. If I go on a guided safari tour, is there anything in particular that I
should look for when comparing outfits?

Take a light jacket which you can close up around your neck (beware
the mosquitos and foremost tze tze flies. It’s no good
experience to try to catch a single fly in a closed car – and
you know this little thing can be lethal).

3. Do you get to see more on the camping-based safaris?

Yes and no. As someone said before, camping on a safari is mainly an
experience with dirt: you drive through it, you breath it and finally
you sleep in it. But I will never forget the hyenas creeping around
the tents at night, as close as you can hear their fur striking along
the tents wall and the absurd situation, when a group of baboons stole
our breakfast from the table, where we were already sitting on (that
are stories you can tell your grandchildren). At least it’s not
dangerous, because the guides always know how to handle the situation.
You are very close to the nature and to the people.
On the other side, it’s nothing more relaxing than to calm down
at the fireside after a safari, drink a whiskey and enjoy a more
hedonistic evening.

4. So far, the only book in my library is the Lonely Planet guide to
Tanzania (Bought it today). Any other Recommendations?

There are not too much international travel guides about Tanzania, and
I would say the L.P. is the best. Anyway, there is a lot of
information in the net.

5. Any recommendations for taking Travelers Checks versus Currency in USD or
a suggested ratio of the two?

I would take Travelers Checks and a bit Dollars. Exchange the cash you
need for a few days. Back in ’98 the exchange rates of cash were
better than that of checks (but that probably has changed). Keep in
mind, that there are quite different provisions and some are just
absurd. Some international banks have branches in Dar (i.e. Citibank).

6. I do not own any binoculars, is there anything I should consider when
buying a pair for the trip?

A binocular is a must!

7. Are there places where I will be able to transfer digital pictures from
Compact Flash media to CD-ROM or should I plan to bring Lots of Compact
Flash media?

Actually there is a relative good IT-infrastructure in Tanzania (at
least for the people who can afford it). I mean relative for a third
world country. It really surprised me how easy you can access the net
– back in 1998. Especially in Dar you'll find some internet
cafes that can handle flash cards or burn a CD (but the prices can be
astronomically high).

8. The cost of the trip is a bit prohibitive for most of my friends so at
this point I will be traveling alone. Is there anyone else out there that
has made the journey alone that has any insight they would be willing to
share for a solo travelers perspective?

There is no problem at all travelling alone. You’ll meet at lot
of other travellers that are often willing to let you join them. But
you should definitely learn a little Kiswahili, it opens up doors,
believe me. Although English is widely spoken, the locals learn it as
the third language (after their own ethnic language and Kiswahili) and
only people that attended higher schools are used to it. When visiting
bigger cities like Arusha or Dar or Stone Town you should take care
leaving the guesthouse alone at night (the money you got in your
pocket which you’d like to spend in the evening can easily be
more than a months income of a local).
Don’t ever get tempted with exchanging money on the black
market, I’ve never heard that it had a good outcome (besides
it’s truly illegal).
When travelling to Zanzibar (which you really should), keep in mind
that it’s a Muslim community (though very friendly and
tolerant), that feels annoyed if you wear short trousers, drink too
much alcohol or behave like a colonist.
A very nice trip in my opinion is:
Acclimatize a few days after arrival, then go on safari and finally
relax on the beaches in the east or north of Zanzibar (there are
regular flights from Arusha to Zanzibar), or if you like to have a bit
more adventure, visit the rain forest on the high plateau of Usambara
mountains.

9. Is there anything I should bring with me that I will regret if I don't?

To Take along your girlfriend is a very good recommendation ;-)
Bring with your own mosquito net, just in case.
A simple conversation book for Kiswahili.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

Regards,

Justin Leggroan

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kwa heri.

Phil