Malyasia - must sees?

Old October 28th, 2003, 05:14 PM
Ann

Default Malyasia - must sees?

Hi

We're going to Malaysia for 15 days, starting from Singapore. We're
definitely going to Cameron Highlands for a couple of days as well as KL.

What can you recommend? Is it worth going to Port Dickson for the beach for
a couple of days, or is there another beach location (not too crowded with
tourists).

Any experiences are highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ann

Old October 28th, 2003, 07:58 PM
Jan

Ann wrote:
Hi

We're going to Malaysia for 15 days, starting from Singapore. We're
definitely going to Cameron Highlands for a couple of days as well as
KL.

What can you recommend? Is it worth going to Port Dickson for the
beach for a couple of days, or is there another beach location (not
too crowded with tourists).

Any experiences are highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ann

How are you travelling? Hire car? Bus? Air?
You can fly from KL to Langkawi Business class for only £45, ( We've just
booked through www.expedia.co.uk) - well worth the extra cost just to use
the Golden Lounge at KLIA.-And be lazing on a beach within a few mins of
leaving the airport.
Long Distance bus travel is also very cheap and reliable
Jan

---

Old October 29th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Ariane Jenkins

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:14:29 +0100, Ann wrote:
Hi

We're going to Malaysia for 15 days, starting from Singapore. We're
definitely going to Cameron Highlands for a couple of days as well as KL.

What can you recommend? Is it worth going to Port Dickson for the beach for
a couple of days, or is there another beach location (not too crowded with
tourists).

I rather liked the Cameron Highlands, especially as a break
from the heat. Definitely wander off the beaten paths and tours if
you can, though. I liked the drive up to the Boh tea plantation, and
you can take the road higher up for nicer views, too. It's not the
most exciting destination, but good for some downtime during your
vacation. We mainly only saw Tanah Rata, which has lots of shops,
restaurants (food a bit pricier than in KL, IMO) and internet cafes to
catch up on e-mail.

We were in Malaysia this past summer, mostly staying with
relatives in Kuala Lumpur. Among other things, we enjoyed a day trip
to Melacca (definitely see if you can eat at a Nonyan restaurant while
there, it was one of the best meals we had in Malaysia, and that's
saying a great deal.), as well as several days spent in Penang (more
great food, beaches so-so, good shopping and urban areas) and Langkawi
(nice beaches, easy to get around by rental car, island-hopping
tour).

In KL itself, we did a lot of the usual tourist stuff--took
the skybridge tour of the Petronas Towers (free tickets, but limited,
they hand them out in the morning), Central Market, Petaling Street as
well as hitting some of the more local night markets in the suburbs
where you don't see as many tourists. Have fun on your trip!

Ariane

Old October 29th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Pan

wrote:

Hi

We're going to Malaysia for 15 days, starting from Singapore. We're
definitely going to Cameron Highlands for a couple of days as well as KL.

What can you recommend? Is it worth going to Port Dickson for the beach for
a couple of days, or is there another beach location (not too crowded with
tourists).

Beats me. I spent about a month in Malaysia and didn't swim once
(though I did wade in the South China Sea several times).

Perak is beautiful, however. In the center of the state (e.g., between
Ipoh and Kuala Kangsar, but they extend further) are a whole bunch of
lovely hills with cliffs with naked rock faces and caves inside. Some
have Chinese or Hindu temples attached to them. I also liked Ipoh very
much as a city to visit. There's some nice late 19th-early
20th-century architecture in the "Old Town" - and indeed, in the "New
Town," too. Wonderful Indian and Chinese food there, very ethnically
diverse.

You also might consider taking a bus or driving across the East-West
Highway that connects Perak with Kelantan. The drive is breathtaking.
I'll warn you that a bus from Ipoh to Kota Bharu takes 7 hours, but
the ride (which I did in the other direction) was glorious.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old October 29th, 2003, 04:05 AM
Pan

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:13:29 GMT, Alfred Molon
wrote:

You didn't write what you are interested in, but briefly the highlights
of peninsular Malaysia are (I'm not including the east coast, as right
now and until February there is the monsoon there):

KL (2 - 3 days spent visiting the attractions and doing some shopping)
Melaka (1 day)
Pinang (1 - 2 days)
Langkawi (2 - 3 days or longer if you like beaches)
Taman Negara (2 - 3 days or longer if you like trekking in the jungle)

which will take you 8 - 12 days (or longer).

I notice that you didn't include any East-Coast places (Taman Negara
doesn't really count for that).

Depending on weather, Kota Bharu is well worth visiting. I love
Terengganu for sentimental reasons, but the coastline, though pretty
highly developed now, is still beautiful, and Tasik Kenyir is
breathtaking. However, there isn't time for all of that if one has
only 15 days and is starting up the West Coast. Things will be easier
when the stretch between Karak and Gambang in Pahang is finally turned
into limited-access highway.

Old October 29th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Pan

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:37:42 GMT, Ariane Jenkins
wrote:

[snip]
In KL itself, we did a lot of the usual tourist stuff--took
the skybridge tour of the Petronas Towers (free tickets, but limited,
they hand them out in the morning), Central Market, Petaling Street as
well as hitting some of the more local night markets in the suburbs
where you don't see as many tourists.

[snip]

I did some of that, too (except for going to the top of the Towers). I
agree that walking around Chinatown is basically a must; it's a lot of
fun! For sightseeing, I also recommend the Muzium Negara (National
Museum), and the Muzium Kesenian Islam (Islamic Art Museum) is of at
least passing interest in that you get to see how a Muslim country is
trying to construct from scratch a very new museum showing its
relationship with the rest of the Muslim world. In terms of stuff to
see, the older Muzium Negara has the Muzium Kesenian Islam beat by a
country mile, though.

Old October 29th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Knut Sømme

Jan wrote:

Ann wrote:
Hi

We're going to Malaysia for 15 days, starting from Singapore. We're
definitely going to Cameron Highlands for a couple of days as well as
KL.

What can you recommend? Is it worth going to Port Dickson for the
beach for a couple of days, or is there another beach location (not
too crowded with tourists).

Any experiences are highly appreciated!

Thanks,

Ann

Peaceful beach location ? Pualu Kapas ? Perhentian, Redang ?

Very quiet indeed.

knut
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Alfred Molon

In article , says...

Peaceful beach location ? Pualu Kapas ? Perhentian, Redang ?

Very quiet indeed.

But not now (monsoon season).
--

Alfred Molon
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:36 AM
Knut Sømme

Alfred Molon wrote:

In article , says...

Peaceful beach location ? Pualu Kapas ? Perhentian, Redang ?

Very quiet indeed.

But not now (monsoon season).
--

Alfred Molon

Did not see anthing about when he was leaving..

;-)